Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
Spyglass

Drives: Too many
Go Pro mounts

Has anyone figured a GoPro mount that can be attached to our Recaro seats?
Spyglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
I spent a lot of time with many attempts using both a mobius and gopro. There are gorilla mounts http://goo.gl/AWszdR that will attach it to the seat fine but the The seat had too much vibration in all my tests. I ended up using one camera on windshield upper passenger side and a 2nd camera with suction mount on passenger rear side window shooting across to get driver
Old 06-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I have a sunroof and that's what I use for a more inclusive driver POV shot with my go pro mounted upside down to capture the view. (see second pic)

I did find this earlier today while searching for an external mic....I'm not sure if this can be used for HPDE's but it's worth a try if nothing else comes to fruition.

http://projectgopro.blogspot.com/201...1_archive.html

Quote:
The Lotus Elise lends itself perfectly towards capturing this in-car footage. Just mount the GoPro on a suction cup mounted to the rear screen, take the roof off and the quality of the video and sound is naturally pretty impressive. This video was taken using Sony digi-cam on a suction mount before I had the GoPro.

Capturing footage that is equally as impressive in saloon cars, hot-hatches or four seat coupes is a bit more challenging. For example, I own a two door Subaru Impreza WRX STI 22B where the rear window is located about a meter behind the front seats. You can just hang a GoPro upside down on a suction mount on the rear screen, turn on upside-down mode on the GoPro and hit record. However, being so far back the GoPro captures a lot of the interior which is quite dark. It therefore automatically over exposes the footage resulting in the road ahead being very light and lacking in quality, detail and richness. This can be adjusted in the camera settings by switching on 'spot mode'. By then playing about with the image settings when editing the video in the GoPro cineform studio software, it is likely that the footage can be improved. But ideally the camera needs to be located a lot further forward so that it captures less of the dark interior. In order to do this I have made a list of the following GoPro accessories you will need to buy:

2 x GoPro Suction Cup Mounts
3 x GoPro Bar Mounts
1 x Lightweight aluminium tube approx 1.5m long
1 x GoPro mini USB to 3.5mm adapter lead
1 x Olympus Mic
1 x 2m long 3.5mm extension cable
1 x Skeleton GoPro case
1 x Fluffy mic windshield

The suction mounts will need to be mounted on the inside of the rear three quarter windows and then linked to a bar mount in order to carry the aluminium tube. Two of the bar mounts will need to be modified. Do this by using a hacksaw to cut off each of the lobes with the chrome nut locator on them. The two bar mounts will then be compatible with the suction mount as shown in the picture to the left. Once the suction mounts and bar mounts are attached to the inside of the rear windows, measure the distance between them and cut the aluminium bar to length. This bar will run just behind the front seats. It will act as the mount for the GoPro camera using a third unmodified bar mount and any extension to achieve the required angle for a specific vehicle.

Next you simply have to attach the 'mini USB to 3.5mm adaptor' to the GoPro, run the extension cable through the gap in the rear seats and then under the carpet in the boot. I also recommend running the cable underneath the rubber seal around the mouth of the boot, this will ensure that the boot lid does not damage the cable when shutting the boot. The mic lead can now be taped to the rear bumper or mounted on to a suction cup out of the airflow, on the rear of the bootlid for example.
Attached Images

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 06-17-2016 at 09:03 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
Robbie1227

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28/2016 Jeep Sahara
Hey, how do you overlay the GoPro with the track data?
What recorder do you use?
2015 summit white Z28 #120 TRK DAY
-Sun-Tek PPF-C protection film on 2/3 of the car, Moreno Camber plates, American Racing 2" ceramic coated LT headers and X-pipes with No Cats, Taylor red performance wires, NGK plugs, BTR Stage III Cam, MSD Atomic intake, Nick Williams 102mm throttle body, Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads by WCCH, MGW short throw shifter, oil catch can, and a dyno tune to get me to 587 RWHP and 516 RWTQ

GONE:
2013 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers and CAT delete, ATI damper and 10% pulley and balancer!
Results: 576 RWHP - 540 RWTQ
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
backtotintops

racechrono to record data
race render to overlay data
Old 06-19-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
Spyglass

RLHMARINES:
That is a cool find but wont pass inspection. If I had to guess they'll say it will become a spear in an accident. They'd probably be right(

backtotintops:
I didn't think about vibration............ Was it real bad?
Old 06-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Spyglass

Robbie1227:
I am currently using Harry's lap timer/Go pro 4 silver/OBD II sensor/android phone and am toying with an aux gps. I have tried to make the combo work for my last 6 sessions and think on the last 2 sessions I was able to get it to work. My laptimer shows my laptimes. I just need to take the sd card from the gopro and put it in my phone. We shall see.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #8
backtotintops

RHLmarines...nice set up. I actually did something very close but used an angled steel bar and pro suction mounts. Your set up looks much lighter and better thanks...I might revisit this. When I did it the position was good but the new sony action camera I was testing was wonky in its image stabilization and gave a strange effect of the camera appearing to move even though it was not moving

spyglass...I tested harry's and imho it was overcomplicated. Do get at least a 10hz gps bluetooth receiver though. I find racechrono much better and it has instant video overlay which harry's does not. Both systems can export .vbo files to use Circuit Tools for much better analysis. There is a possibility that racechrono will soon be able to send video in to Circuit tools for visual lap comparison along with data...very powerful. If you only have an iphone just get a used 3rd gen moto g phone on ebay maybe $120 to use racechrono. it is a 5 star app https://goo.gl/nHEQNi
Old 06-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #9
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
RHLmarines...nice set up. I actually did something very close but used an angled steel bar and pro suction mounts. Your set up looks much lighter and better thanks...I might revisit this. When I did it the position was good but the new sony action camera I was testing was wonky in its image stabilization and gave a strange effect of the camera appearing to move even though it was not moving
My setup is a suction cup with attachments hung upside down from my sunroof, that setup with the suction cups with the bar is just something I found while looking for an external mic for my GoPro.

Your setup looks pretty good also and I see what you mean about the stabilization.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #10
D2M

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
I spent a lot of time with many attempts using both a mobius and gopro. There are gorilla mounts http://goo.gl/AWszdR that will attach it to the seat fine but the The seat had too much vibration in all my tests. I ended up using one camera on windshield upper passenger side and a 2nd camera with suction mount on passenger rear side window shooting across to get driver
I did Lightning last weekend.. Interesting,,, I was taking the bowl in 4th as you were but I was short shifting to 5th on the straight and getting 139mph.. What data recorder are you using?
D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
backtotintops

Yes I should try 5th earlier next time...thanks.

I use racechrono.