Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
High flow cats for the LFX engine?

I am new here and have been searching the internet and this site for anything on high flow cats for the LFX engine and have been unsuccessful. Can anyone tell me if they make them for this engine, who makes them, and where I can find them. I am looking into the TB mod and since we can't install headers I was wondering if high flow cats were available and if it improves engine performance. Any information would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
matt6589

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
SOLO Performance now makes high flow cats for the LFX
Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
ChevyCam13

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 1SS LS3
My muffler guy told me that the lfx already has high flo cats and it would be a waste of money.
ChevyCam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
skibik

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6589 View Post
SOLO Performance now makes high flow cats for the LFX
I tried a Google search for Solo Performance before posting this to no avail I will have to try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCam13 View Post
My muffler guy told me that the lfx already has high flo cats and it would be a waste of money.
Okay, that is nice to know. I guess I don't need to put any more into the exhaust.

Thanks,
Dean.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Wrong.

I highly doubt that the LFX has better flowing cats than the LLT, and if they do, then thats where the extra power must be coming from because it has been proven on the dyno that an LLT with high flow cats alone gained around 10 - 15 HP.

I'd say for your LFX guys, going with a HFC would likely net as much of a gain as an intake would.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
ChevyCam13

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Wrong.

I highly doubt that the LFX has better flowing cats than the LLT, and if they do, then thats where the extra power must be coming from because it has been proven on the dyno that an LLT with high flow cats alone gained around 10 - 15 HP.

I'd say for your LFX guys, going with a HFC would likely net as much of a gain as an intake would.

Yea it's been proven on the LLT but where talking about the LFX. I trust what my muffler guy says so I won't be upgrading mine but that's just me if anybody wants to upgrade then it's all on them I'm just trying to help my fellow lfx owners.
ChevyCam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
KMPrenger

Quote:
Yea it's been proven on the LLT but where talking about the LFX. I trust what my muffler guy says so I won't be upgrading mine but that's just me if anybody wants to upgrade then it's all on them I'm just trying to help my fellow lfx owners.
I'm sure your muffler guy does great work, but I'm pretty confident when I say there is probably gains to be had be going to a good HFC like the SOLOs.

So I'm also trying to help. SOLO is currently developing HFCs for the LFX, so well see eventually.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
skibik

I spent a little more time researching Solo Performance and finally found it. They do have HFC available for the LFX engine but I guess I will wait since they have a hefty price tag on them. I would certainly consider it at half the price but that is a little beyond what I am willing to spend for a set.

http://solo-performance.com/camaro-v...tic-converters

I would be curious if anyone out there has put them on there LFX engine that has the MRT V2.0 exhaust to know if they make it sound better or worse. I love the sound now but wondering what kind of a difference it makes. I don't think the little bit of performance gain is worth it. I installed the CAI and supposedly 10 to 15HP gain, I never noticed it so unless it is 20+HP more I don't think it would be noticeable. The one thing I noticed with the CAI is I actually hit 29.1 MPG on my best tank and I was not easy on the pedal. I think I could easily have hit close to 31 if I could just drive it sensible like my last car. But that isn't going to happen.

Thanks for the information everyone, I appreciate it,
Dean.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
What's wrong with getting universal high flow cats and having them welded in place?
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
skibik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk350 View Post
What's wrong with getting universal high flow cats and having them welded in place?
Nothing wrong with it? Why weld it is a bolt in kit made for the LFX. I have been searching and have not found any others made for the LFX bolt in or weld. If you don't mind spending the money go for it. In my book money is part of the decision and they are a little too much. Do me a favor have your car dyno'd before and after so I can see the results. If there is a huge increase I would consider spending that kind of money and installing them myself. If it is less than a 5HP increase to me it is not worth it. Just my $.02.

Thanks,
Dean.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Yes the solos are pretty expensive, but part of that cost is the addition of the piping, and the resonators that are included in the kit, but yes, I feel if they were to knock off 100 - 200 bucks it would put it in the appropriate ballpark.

Also, someone here has shown the inside of the stock cats versus the SOLOs and it was pretty plain to see the SOLOs would flow better.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Roll_the_Dice

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro 2LT
I can tell you that the LFX DOES NOT have HFC from the factory. I installed Solos HFC and cat back exhaust a few weeks ago and they are amazing.

I am not a dyno guy, but it certainly feels like it has much more HP than it did before and I am getting better gas mileage. According to solo, the HFC and cat back exhaust should get you about 20 more HP...it certainly feels like it, but without a true test, I don't know. I know the car is more responsive and sounds great!

Yes, they are a little pricey, but when compared to the ARK, Borla, or Corsa cat back exhaust alone, the Solo HFC and cat back exhaust combo isn't much more expensive.
2003 Audi A4 Convertible Silver Auto (sold)
1999 Ford F150 (sold)
2008 Porsche 911 Convertible Atlas Gray M6 (sold)
2007 Corvette Lemans Blue M6 (sold)
2004 BMW 645 ci Convertible Black Metallic (sold)
2000 Dodge Dakota sport Navy (sold)
1999 Porsche Boxster Black Metallic M5 (sold)
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Titanium F1 (sold)
1992 BMW 325i 2 door Alpine white (sold)
1990 Nissan 240SX Burgundy M6 (sold)
1979 Celica Blue M5 (sold)
1974 Mustang II Ghia Green (sold)
Roll_the_Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
KMPrenger

There you have it.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_the_Dice View Post
I can tell you that the LFX DOES NOT have HFC from the factory. I installed Solos HFC and cat back exhaust a few weeks ago and they are amazing.

I am not a dyno guy, but it certainly feels like it has much more HP than it did before and I am getting better gas mileage. According to solo, the HFC and cat back exhaust should get you about 20 more HP...it certainly feels like it, but without a true test, I don't know. I know the car is more responsive and sounds great!

Yes, they are a little pricey, but when compared to the ARK, Borla, or Corsa cat back exhaust alone, the Solo HFC and cat back exhaust combo isn't much more expensive.

Sound clip?
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote