Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
Crossover1le

Drives: WS6
ZL1 Cost of ownership?

So on my deployment thus far I've been debating which car will be my big purchase when I get back to the States. I've been tossing around the c6z06, 2013-2014 Boss 302 and of course the ZL1. I've been leaning heavily towards the ZL1, but recently a few issues have caught my eye. If anyone can speak to this issues that would be great. It doesnt scare me since I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but the prices of items are pretty high.

1. Electronic Steering Rack? Apparently, this is an somewhat common issue? I priced it out, I could get another rack around $750.

2. Shocks? I heard they wear out fast?

3. Electronics? Read a few posts where members lost their AC units and dash lights.

4. Tires? If I buy a ZL1 with the stock tires, will I be able to survive a winter in Georgia? Temps CAN get into the 20's in the morning when I will be driving the car to work. Obviously, I would replace the tires with a better all around tire when the stock tires are done.

Other than that are there any other issues? Has anyone dealt with these outside of warranty. I am leaning towards the c6z06 as well. It seems a little bit more sorted, but of course it has its own issues as well. Feel free to chime in with whatever info you feel is relevant. I guess Im just thinking out loud here.
Crossover1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
Crossover1le

Also, brake calipers, rotors and pads are VERY expensive. How often are you guys replacing them? I dont plan to track the car much more than once a year.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Have had 0 issues. 21,000 miles.
Yes a few have had steering issues, but it seems to be a grounding issue.
Mag shocks may go out arounx 30,000, or may not.
Stock tires are really bad below 50 degrees. I would not use them much below 50, at 20.degrees they may crack, and will have as much traction as greased plastic.

Still on the original brakes so no input there. It has been a fun trouble free ride so far.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #4
Hawayanzl1

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
My AC went out at 500 miles. So it was repaired under warranty. Cheeee hoooo! Only have the stupid key fob recall and i am keeping my key fob.
Hawayanzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Drives: Getaway Special
Well mates, upon reading of these it appears a bumper to bumper GM Extended Warranty of 7 Yrs or 84,000 miles secured upon purchase for about $1500 would have been a logical decision. Food for thought.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
36K miles Daily driver) with virtually no issues....modified quite a bit and @ the drag strip frequently last year and year before, so far only V.I.R. this year. I run stock tires here in NC during winter with no issues, just got to be careful and I don't even attempt to drive on snow or ice.
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Just went over 16K here, no issues that you speak of except the tires. I can tell the difference below 80F. Right now, being in the 90s, they stick like glue, but I've already replaced the rears as after 15K mi I had them worn to the cords, and that's no racing or burnouts. Got a new set of MPSS in the garage waiting to be installed once I burn out this set.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
Crossover1le

Thanks for all the info!

How do you buy an extended warranty? Can I buy one if I buy my car through a private seller?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover1le View Post
So on my deployment thus far I've been debating which car will be my big purchase when I get back to the States. I've been tossing around the c6z06, 2013-2014 Boss 302 and of course the ZL1. I've been leaning heavily towards the ZL1, but recently a few issues have caught my eye. If anyone can speak to this issues that would be great. It doesnt scare me since I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but the prices of items are pretty high.

1. Electronic Steering Rack? Apparently, this is an somewhat common issue? I priced it out, I could get another rack around $750.

3. Electronics? Read a few posts where members lost their AC units and dash lights.

4. Tires? If I buy a ZL1 with the stock tires, will I be able to survive a winter in Georgia? Temps CAN get into the 20's in the morning when I will be driving the car to work. Obviously, I would replace the tires with a better all around tire when the stock tires are done.

Other than that are there any other issues? Has anyone dealt with these outside of warranty. I am leaning towards the c6z06 as well. It seems a little bit more sorted, but of course it has its own issues as well. Feel free to chime in with whatever info you feel is relevant. I guess Im just thinking out loud here.
When I cam back I wanted a c6z06 but got talked into the SS by the wife. I'm sure a zl1 or z06 will be good. Had a lot of fun with SS so far
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I daily drove my 2014 ZL1 for 30000 miles before selling it and getting a ZR1. I also took it up into the mountains for spirited drives most weekends. The only issue I ever had with it was the A/C, which died at 12000 miles. Repaired under warranty. Other than that not a single hiccup the entire time. Car ran like a dream and never let me down. Motor seemed bulletproof. You can get a GMEPP warranty.....I can't remember the guys name, but I got one for my 2009 ZR1. Very easy to get. I'll get the name for you.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover1le View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
When I cam back I wanted a c6z06 but got talked into the SS by the wife. I'm sure a zl1 or z06 will be good. Had a lot of fun with SS so far
Why settle when you can have a JP/Z?

The ZL1 is a highly reliable version of the Camaro. You'll love it.

Last edited by JusticePete; 07-12-2016 at 07:33 AM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:09 AM   #12
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Mine is at 15k miles and had two miner issues fixed under warranty. 1) carbon fiber on hood extractor which was only aesthetic 2) coolant leak on left side of block which required rethreading a connector.

I have two sets of rims to run winter and summer tires. Paid $2500 for the used rims and all season tires so not much invested in tires yet.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #13
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
23K miles here and driven on several trips. New windshield last week from a rock on the highway but nothing else except tires. I live in NH and I drive the car as long as there is no snow/sand/salt on the roads. The stock tires are useless under 50 degrees. In fact they are downright scary in the rain even. I put a set of MPSS on thrilled with them. Also, I put on a set of ceramic brake pads for street driving to keep the dust down. It's the best all around driver for a muscle car I have ever driven in.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #14
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I can attest to one other cost to consider. My no accident insurance, went up by $260 a year from a 1LE. Even a 2015 corvette was cheaper to insure than the ZL1.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote