Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
Rob O

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Advice for 1st ever track day?

I just signed up for my 1st track day (HPDE). I'm really excited, but honestly a little nervous too. I've been wanting to do a track day for a very long time, but most of the cars I've owned have been classics and I've been too worried they wouldn't be up to the challenge without breaking. Now that I just bought a Z/28 I'm not really that concerned about that part and I think it will be the perfect car for track days. I've been reading everything I can find to be as prepared as I possibly and also been watching in-car videos of the track to try and become a little familiar with the track. I really like this website (winhpde.com)and have read everything on it. He even has a track guide for PMP.

This is the event I signed up for. It's through SCDA and at Palmer Motorsports Park July 26th.
http://www.scda1.com/event/palmer-mo...o-all-drivers/

I tried to find a helmet locally (within an hour or so) with no luck. I wanted to try them on before buying. I did find a place up in Mass (Seymour Performance Products) that normally stocks bell helmets, but there is backorder of Bell helmets and he doesn't have any of the SA2015 helmets. He does have a leftover Bell Sport SA2010 in my measured size and is sending it to me to try on. My fingers are crossed that it fits, because he only has one other helmet, a small. It's definitely not as easy as finding a motorcycle helmet.

I've also read that Palmer doesn't sell gas. They say there is a gas station close by that sells gas in 5 gallon containers. There is supposed to be about 2 hours of on track time divided into 4 sessions. I'm wondering how much gas I should be expecting to use? I'm guessing I could bring 10 extra gallons and that would probably be safe, but I really have no idea.

Are any of you also going to this event?

Any advice for a total rookie? My only experience on any tracks are parade laps at Limerock and NHIS, which is basically nothing. I mostly want to be safe and have a lot of fun.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Rob O; 07-12-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Rob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
You'll need fuel at least once.

Even though your Z/28 is track ready, I would encourage you top get a track alignment and to either do a thorough brake bleed or a complete flush and upgrade to SRF.

You should take a high quality tire gauge to the track with you. 38 pounds or less hot pressure.

Take a torque wrench and double check your lug nuts before each run.

A chair, sun shade, cooler with lots of water and Gatorade.

Get there an hour early so you stay relaxed and are able to negotiate any surprises without feeling pressured or rushed.

Stay relaxed. There is no pressure to perform. Listen to the instructors and only go as fast as you are comfortable. Have a great time and report back her!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
Z28-TX

Drives: 2015 Z-28 / '13 Howe TA2 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob O View Post
I just signed up for my 1st track day (HPDE). I'm really excited, but honestly a little nervous too. I've been wanting to do a track day for a very long time, but most of the cars I've owned have been classics and I've been too worried they wouldn't be up to the challenge without breaking. Now that I just bought a Z/28 I'm not really that concerned about that part and I think it will be the perfect car for track days. I've been reading everything I can find to be as prepared as I possibly and also been watching in-car videos of the track to try and become a little familiar with the track. I really like this website (winhpde.com)and have read everything on it. He even has track guide for PMP.

This is the event I signed up for. It's through SCDA and at Palmer Motorsports Park July 26th.
http://www.scda1.com/event/palmer-mo...o-all-drivers/

I tried to find a helmet locally (within an hour or so) with no luck. I wanted to try them on before buying. I did find a place up in Mass (Seymour Performance Products) that normally stocks bell helmets, but there is backorder of Bell helmets and he doesn't have any of the SA2015 helmets. He does have a leftover Bell Sport SA2010 in my measured size and is sending it to me to try on. My fingers are crossed that it fits, because he only has one other helmet, a small. It's definitely not as easy as finding a motorcycle helmet.

I've also read that Palmer doesn't sell gas. They say there is a gas station close by that sells gas in 5 gallon containers. There is supposed to be about 2 hours of on tract time divided into 4 sessions. I'm wondering how much gas I should be expecting to use? I'm guessing I could bring 10 extra gallons and that would probably be safe, but I really have know idea.

Are any of you also going to this event?

Any advice for a total rookie? My only experience on any tracks are parade laps at Limerock and NHIS, which is basically nothing. I mostly want to be safe and have a lot of fun.

Thanks,
Rob
Also, make sure you have fully burnished your Brake Pads for proper braking performance. Several threads on the process can be found here.
Z28-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
One last thing, go out there and have fun.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
MRBZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28
Just drive it like you stoled it
MRBZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #6
MiniBig

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #398
You will need gas for a 2 hours of track time.
I have been using more then 3/4 of a tank for 1 hour of track time.

Have fun!
MiniBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
Spyglass

Drives: Too many
I use a motorcycle helmet.

The Z is so capable out of the box that I would just be concerned with tire pressure, and making sure your lugs are secure and torqued properly. Your next concern is that you are in the proper track setting (1-5). If it were me I'd start in 2 or 3.

Study the flags. I see so many who get so tuned into passing the guy in front of them that they are blowing through black flags, meatballs and the "hello there is someone you're not giving a point by" flag. lol

Work on squeezing the throttle and brake and not stabbing it. Breathe and don't white knuckle the steering wheel.

Be careful on your last session of the day. You may not realize it but you are probably slightly dehydrated, hungry, and tired. This is where I see so many people get into trouble, add to it that you may be feeling a little more confident than your first session and push harder than should.

Best part of track days is that you are around people of all walks but are like minded.
Spyglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #8
JusticePete

Motorcycle helmets are designed for impacts with flat surfaces and do not have a fire resistant lining. Automotive helmets are designed for impacts with pillars, side rails, cage bars and have fire resistant linings. Check out the SNELL site. They provide all the pertinent details.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #9
s.hammer

Drives: 2015 Z/28
HMS Motorsports in Danvers, MA has helmets, going to be an hour and a half ride, but they have a great selection of helmets you can try on. If you are going to start tracking on a regular basis, its worth going up there to get the right helmet. As you get off the MA Pike to go to Palmer, at the end of the exit you have to take a left to get to the track but there is a Gas Station right on the right, that will get you topped off for the track. You will probably be able to get through the day on that and get back to that station on fumes on the ride home. They have some great instructors up there and you will have a great and safe time, Mode 2 and 3 will save your a**, steer clear of 4, and 5. Bring a tire gauge, some oil, some snacks, water, and a cheap folding chair to relax in between sessions and you will be in good shape.
s.hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #10
Rob O

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Thank you all for the great advice. I really do appreciate it.

It sounds like I probably will be needing additional fuel and I'll just bring plenty to be safe. I don't want to cut it close.

I looked up the procedure for fully burnishing the brakes. I just need to find someplace to do it without drawing too much attention. What I'm reading is that I need to do 0-60-0 quickly 50 times and then about a 10 minute brake cool down at 60 mph. Is that right? I've read 25 times as well.

Thanks for the HMS contact. If I'm not happy with the helmet that should be arriving today I'll make the trip there. An hour and a half drive isn't too far.

I wanted to and planned on getting the track alignment done before going. I have a mechanic I go to when I don't have the time to work on things myself or for things beyond my capabilities. He's pretty good most of the time, but lacks some attention to details at others. He does alignments as well as works on a lot of classic cars too. Is this something most shops can do easily or something a specialty shop should perform?

I was thinking PTM mode 2 or 3 is what I would use. This is one of the reasons I thought this car would be good for my first track day. I'm hoping it will help keep me out of trouble. I've also heard that the instructors would make sure all traction and stability controls would be fully on anyway. Makes sense for a novice.

What is the dress code? I've read pants and long sleeves for most track days. I can't find those specific rules on the SCDA website. If so, do you guys run with the ac on or just sweat it out?

Thanks again,
Rob
Rob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #11
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Comfortable long pants and long sleeved shirts are a must. Learn the car and just build speed incrementally. Listen to your instructor and keep your eyes up. PTM 2-3 are exactly what you should use and I still frequently use PTM 3 on a tight track. PTM 4-5 will let the car get really out of shape if you overcook a turn and get sloppy. I have put my car off track at least 3 times when the brakes were cold so give the brakes a lap or two to get some heat in them before you trust their abilities. Do the burnishing procedure as outlined here and you will be fine. Look for the white hazy crust on the front pads and you will be ready.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #12
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
If this is your first ever track day I would leave all your nannies on. Most of the other points have been touched on. You're also gonna need a warm up lap or 2 to get some heat in those R compound tires before they stick.

Don't worry about going fast or turning nannies of or the right PTM mode or whatever. Just listen to your instructor. Learn the line. Learn proper braking and turn in. If you concentrate on the basics you'll be faster at the end of the weekend than the other novices out there who are just trying to drive fast right away.
Stay smooth. Keep your car balanced. Have fun.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #13
Hunt-man

Drives: 2015 Z28 + Piper Comanche
Traction control on. Learn from your instructor. Insurance?

Brakes: I did what was in the manual, I think it was 5 hard stops. My brakes are incredible and I've never had any fade. I think 50 stops overcooks the brakes based on pictures I've seen posted here. At over $2000 a rotor I was cautious. I've done track days and Autocross and never had any fade or lack of grab / brakes. My $.02 and I may get flamed for this.

Last edited by Hunt-man; 07-13-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Hunt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #14
JusticePete

+20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 for Traction Control On