Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
Cat988h

Drives: Rally yellow 2011 Camaro 1SSRS
Blue smoke on start up? Valve seals?

Hey guys been off the grid for a while. I had the JRE 470 cam kit installed last December. I have about 2000 km on the engine since the swap. I am getting a puff of blue smoke on start up. It does not do it on a cold start, that I can notice. If I bring it up to temp, then let it sit for an hour or so then restart it, I get a decent amount of blue smoke for about 5 seconds then its gone. Enough to fill the garage with a haze.

I have a Rx catch can and it does not show much oil. Maybe 5 tablespoons between oil changes. This makes me think its the valve seals not the rings.
Well what do you guys think? Figured I'd ask before I tear the heads down and replace the seals. Has anyone of you guys had experience with this? What are the best seals to use? Stay stock or is there a better aftermarket product? I personally think one or more, may not have been seated properly after installing the comp springs.
ATI Super Damper, Katech C5R Chain, Jannetty 470 Comp Cam, Comp Valve Springs, Mellings Oil Pump, Manley Push Rods, Comp Tringion Upgrade, Cold Air Inductions Intake, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w Cats, MBRP 3 Inch Exhaust, RX Catch Can, Eaton Tru Trac, 3.91 OEM, DSS Drive And Half Shafts, LPW Diff Cover,3 Inch Noweeds, Amsoil Z-Rod, Tuned by Jannetty Racing
Cat988h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
shag

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Sounds like leaky valve seals to me. I had similar smokey start ups after cam install, but after replacing valve seals a second time, start ups are smoke free. I replaced the valve seals a couple months ago, so I feel confident the problem has been fixed.

During the repair I found several of my seals had become unseated, and a couple had partially disentigrated.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
shag

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Oh, and I also have a RX catch can. I've never found significant oil in the catch can.

I used the same valve seals (comp cams), but this time very carefully ensured they were fully seated. I hate to admit this, but I used a 1/2" socket to install valve seals first time, the recommendation is to use 12mm socket. I may have slightly damaged the seals using 1/2" socket.