Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 05-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
NFRNOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 IOM
Brakes before cruise?

So I was talking to my brother-in-law and telling him about by sem-annual inspection on my car, and also mentioned the couple of cruises through the mountains this summer. He suggested I get new brake pads before driving on these cruises.

The brakes from the dealership inspection are at 5mm (roughly 6/32) on the front, in their yellow range, and 7mm (roughly 7/32) on the rear, in their green range.

I've had the car 4 seasons now, and have never had the brakes done. With the cruise coming up on June 14th, should I get new brake pads now? Just the front? No need as they are still fine?

Thanks in advance!
NFRNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
fshog

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS
What do the rotors look like? Your pads should be fine........depends on how you think you'll drive??? Not sure of the KM on your car either??
fshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
How many K's?

Old 05-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Merc
In The Circle

This what I run in Pumpkin slightly more aggressive then stock. If you do your own work and the rotors are not chewed up and they shouldn't be. I would just give then a rough up with sandpaper and and throw a set of new pads in. $260 US for the the set plus tax and a bus ride and your good to go.

Attached Images

Old 05-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Merc
In The Circle

These are what I use on the road course. Very aggressive, dirty, noisy and hard on rotors, but they WOOOOOW Pumpkin down in a hell of a hurry.

Attached Images

Old 06-01-2014, 12:42 AM   #6
NFRNOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 IOM
Sorry, sons graduation banquet tonight! Just getting back.

I have 64k km on the car. I have no idea what to look for to inspect the rotors. I can only say they were not mentioned at all in the semi-annual. I don't really drive all that aggressively. It's a daily driver though.

I hate the brake dust from the oem pads! Forever cleaning the rims! Would those hawks produce less dust?
NFRNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:01 AM   #7
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRNOSS View Post

I have 64k km on the car. I have no idea what to look for to inspect the rotors. I can only say they were not mentioned at all in the semi-annual. I don't really drive all that aggressively. It's a daily driver though.

I hate the brake dust from the oem pads! Forever cleaning the rims! Would those hawks produce less dust?
Brake dust, a never ending battle.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
fshog

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRNOSS View Post

The rotors will start to show "grooves" if they're badly worn. Run your finger across the face of the rotor and if you feel grooves or ridges, then you should either get them turned or replace. Also feel the leading edge on the outside of the rotor to determine how much has been taken off with wear.

I personally don't like to install new pads on a rotor that hasn't been turned or replaced - unless the rotor is in very good shape. This may cause uneven or premature pad wear.

Hope this helps!
fshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Brake dust, a never ending battle.

I forget the KM on my car when I had the brakes replaced this winter. I guess at around 42-43k. I am assuming that they were the original pads on the car. I had the pads replaced at a GM deal with the OEM pads.

I used to have the "never ending battle" with brake dust, however I have not had the same experience with these new pads. Dust is really really low.

Normally I detail the car Thursday evening, and park it. After work on Friday I would go to the Car show in Kingston about 30KM away. Before I would have to take a microfibre towel and some waterless wash to the rims after I had parked at the show. Since I got these new pads, I have been able to drive and park and the rims look fine. I ran my finger on the rim this past Friday and it did not leave a line and i had very little brake dust on my finger.

Also, PREVIOUSLY I would detail the car and go for a tour with the car. Maybe a 200-300km cruise. Next day the car would still be more or less spotless (besides bugs on the front) but my tires and RIMS with be absolutely filthy. So bad that I would end up just washing the rims/tires. I have done that a few times this season and the rims were more or less fine. I just waited to do the rims when the rest of teh car needed a bath.

So far (to me), the new pads preform just as good if not a bit better then the stock pads and I do not get nearly the same amount of brake dust I got before.

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote