Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #85
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Hence the Keyword, known as a word or concept of great significance, "MOSTLY"

It's not all of them but its most of them... There are bad private shops to OBVIOUSLY...
and you can very easily turn that around to say that most dealerships do great work but there are bad dealership bodyshops to......OBVIOUSLY I can just as easily make the case that you dealt with a rare bad one as you can that I found the rare good one.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #86
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
The poblem is lack of coats. Not enough color and DEFINATELY not enough clear!! Period!!
Its bad when you scrub off a bug splatter on the bumper to find it punctured the paint or it chipped it off all together.
Just add a ton of clear GM......
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #87
hharris

Drives: 2013 1LE
WATER BORN PAINT IS NOT WHAT YOU ALL THINK!!!!

the water is just in the base coat. the primers, sealers, CLEAR COATS are all solvent based. it has nothing to do with your rock chips and easy to scratch paint.

Manufactures like (GM) have been spraying water since the 1970's
the only difference is the base coat has to air dry instead of evaporating by the use solvents.
The only way you can stop rock chips is NEVER, and I mean NEVER! drive on a interstate highway, especially on that has concrete walls or deviders.

I happen to own a large high production Collision Center. and I know that we work circles around most dealerships when it comes to quality and customer satisfaction. the only thing different about your dealer body shop and your local independant body shop is the sign above the door. I know because we did the warranty work for two large GM dealers for 19 years, until one built its own shop and the other lost its franchise of 70 years.

They charge the same rates, pay the employees the same wage, use the same paint, same tools, same equipment, same training etc. its all about brand recognition of that "sign above the door" that makes customers decide where to go. most customers think "its a new car so I better take it to the dealer"

now when it comes to mechanical work.... a lot of differences can be found between a dealership and a independent

Oh and for the record, too much clear or too many coats of clear can actually reduce the strenght and adhesion of the entire paint job, every paint job receives two coats of clear, unless you are wanting a car show stopping paint job? in which we will give it 3 or 4 coats of clear.... as 1 or 2 of them will be sanded back off before buffing etc
hharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #88
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
Huh that's funny I will never buy white again cause of the white Camry I bought my wife before her current one now... in my opinion white by far is the worst color to show everything, it was an absolute nightmare. So I can't agree with your hole statement but the grey for sure!!
You've never owned a black car, have you? If you are as anal about paint as I am, you'll see EVERYTHING on a black car. Waterspots from rain, road dust, scratches, literally everything.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #89
buckeyemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Yes, it is a well-known fact that one of the first things Obama did when he took office was mandate crappy auto paint.
It's astonishing what people blame the president for.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #90
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
You've never owned a black car, have you? If you are as anal about paint as I am, you'll see EVERYTHING on a black car. Waterspots from rain, road dust, scratches, literally everything.
I owned a couple of black vehicles . One was a mustang and the other a Ford pick up. Both in which I never had a problem with keeping nice and clean. I detailed them a lot but they were no where near as bad as white in my opinion. White is truly the worst!!

And yes I'm extremely extremely anal!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #91
jd10013

Quote:
It's astonishing what people blame the president for.

tell me about. especially considering all he really does is golf and vacation.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #92
jd10013

Quote:
I owned a couple of black vehicles . One was a mustang and the other a Ford pick up. Both in which I never had a problem with keeping nice and clean. I detailed them a lot but they were no where near as bad as white in my opinion. White is truly the worst!!

white's the easiest color to keep clean
Old 03-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #93
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

What planet are you from man? Black looks dirty five minutes after you wash it. If you sneeze to close to a black car you'll see the dust. A white car will look clean after driving 100 miles in a thunder storm. While I love the look of a clean black car, I will never own another one because I don't have the time or energy it takes to keep them looking good.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #94
jd10013

white also hides rock chips, scratches, and other paint blemishes. noting stands out more than a paint chip or scratch on a black car since the primer is white, or if you go all the way down the the steel, silver.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #95
buckeyemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
tell me about. especially considering all he really does is golf and vacation.
and this is how locked threads happen.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #96
jd10013

Quote:
and this is how locked threads happen.

no, not really. pretty tame comment. take a deep breath and try to relax
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #97
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
I noticed on my brand new 1LE (hood vinyl removed) there are two spots on the hood where it looked like there were two high spots in the paint and they sanded them down. Do I get a free repaint?
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #98
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
What planet are you from man? Black looks dirty five minutes after you wash it. If you sneeze to close to a black car you'll see the dust. A white car will look clean after driving 100 miles in a thunder storm. While I love the look of a clean black car, I will never own another one because I don't have the time or energy it takes to keep them looking good.
Hey know it all ...I never said black was easy to keep clean , I just think white is the worst for showing all marks and blemishes by my experience! If you don't like that I feel that way, well off , No one asked ya.....

CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote