Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Replace oil pump or shim during cam install?

This has probably been beat to death somewhere, but after a lot of searches I haven't found a clear answer. I'm getting the cam replaced in my LS3 in a couple of weeks. The shop that's doing it told me there is no need to replace the oil pump. They do quite a few of these, enough that they have the cam and other parts on the shelf, and said they always just shim the spring in the pump that's in there. On the other hand a lot of the shops include a Melling high volume pump with their cam kits.

Is the shimmed GM pump as good as the Melling? I have read that the shims correct the tendency of the GM pumps to fail.

Has anyone had a Melling pump fail? I sure don't want to insist that they replace the pump and then have the new pump fail.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
This has probably been beat to death somewhere, but after a lot of searches I haven't found a clear answer. I'm getting the cam replaced in my LS3 in a couple of weeks. The shop that's doing it told me there is no need to replace the oil pump. They do quite a few of these, enough that they have the cam and other parts on the shelf, and said they always just shim the spring in the pump that's in there. On the other hand a lot of the shops include a Melling high volume pump with their cam kits.

Is the shimmed GM pump as good as the Melling? I have read that the shims correct the tendency of the GM pumps to fail.

Has anyone had a Melling pump fail? I sure don't want to insist that they replace the pump and then have the new pump fail.
I have to agree with your Shop, If it isn't broke don't fix it.

More oil pressure Creates More heat and more drag on the engine.

High Volume Oil Pump can pump the Pan Dry and leave all the oil up top.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Back in the mid to late 70's I put a built 383 LT-1 in my 73 Corvette. The guy who built the motor did engines for the Corvettes that raced at Laguna Seca. One of the "tricks" he employed was to polish the lifter valley in the block and enlarge the oil return holes so the oil could return to the pan faster. Must have worked, as I never had ANY problems with oil starvation (or any probelms for that matter) even at 7,000 RPM. 2 years later I had the engine checked by a shop that ran top fuel dragsters and they noted my engine has less leak-down than their top fuel motors. My guy must have done something right.

Last edited by My 5th; 03-02-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: correct spelling
My 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I have to agree with your Shop, If it isn't broke don't fix it.

More oil pressure Creates More heat and more drag on the engine.

High Volume Oil Pump can pump the Pan Dry and leave all the oil up top.

Ted.
Thanks, Ted. I'll leave them alone about the pump and let them do it as they planned.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
Back in the mid to late 70's I put a built 383 LT-1 in my 73 Corvette. The guy who built the motor did engines for the Corvettes that raced at Laguna Seca. One of the "tricks" he employed was to polish the lifter valley in the block and enlarge the oil return holes so the oil could return to the pan faster. Must have worked, as I never had ANY problems with oil starvation (or any probelms for that matter) even at 7,000 RPM. 2 years later I had the engine checked by a shop that ran top fuel dragsters and they noted my engine has less leak-down than their top fuel motors. My guy must have done something right.
ive know ppl to do that on older engines which is about all i had untill i bought this 5th gen .
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
Thanks, Ted. I'll leave them alone about the pump and let them do it as they planned.
yes my shop said the same thing.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
so we shouldnt use a new oil pump??? i really dont feel like pulling everything off again to redo what i could have done in the first place. my car is only a every so ofter driver so i dunno what i should do i have the meiling ready to install now im torn lol
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikRS View Post
so we shouldnt use a new oil pump??? i really dont feel like pulling everything off again to redo what i could have done in the first place. my car is only a every so ofter driver so i dunno what i should do i have the meiling ready to install now im torn lol
Ask your Self this, the pump in the Engine has a Track record of Working Well,
What does the pump Still in the Box offer for a Track Record, it has never been run.

High Volume Oil Pumps Like it or not are a Thing of the Past.

Oil Pump Technology is Way Past that.

My 760 HP 8800 RPM Small Block Runs 55 PSI Oil Pressure and it is a Standard volume $55.00 Oil Pump.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
yea this was one of my decisions when i added my cam..my installer said he thought it wasnt neccesary, but all the oil pump failures that i had read about were on the stock pump. had not read of any aftermarket oil pumps failing, so went with the katech oil pump. problem free here. but i think either way is ok.