Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Tough decision. What do you think I should do?

OK, I love my car. got her back in July 2009. we've been through a lot, but she never was quite perfect.

I picked up the order after somebody else had to cancel it, it was one of the early pre-order cars. I had to accept it how it was but thought it was close enough to what I wanted.
I didnt want the white stripes, or the beige seats, and I expected the blue to be lighter than it turned out to be. It was close enough, just having any camaro back then was all that mattered.

Now my car is creeping up on old age.
It has 54k+ miles.
It has a few dings and scratches.
The wheels have a few nicks too.
The Driver's side heated seat went out.
The air bag warning light sometimes goes off repeatedly (quite annoying).

and as a 2010, it doesnt have HUD.

SO, with it being over 50k miles, the value is probably going to start dropping pretty quick.

What do you all think?

Just keep mine?
Or switch?

I feel like I'm pretty much just doing it for looks... which isn't the best use of money......... but as we probably all agree, if looks weren't important, we would be in a Civic.
My idea is to fix up the little quirks and then sell it between now and this spring.

Then I go on a 7-10 month deployment (Marine Corps)

Then once I get home, the 2014 models will be out and the cost for a 2011-2012 will have gone down a little more too.

I could "almos" get a 2011-2012 a year from now, for what I can sell my 2010 for in the next 6 months.

I want to get rid of mine, and get an RJT or CRT then get vinyl wrap to give it a black hood, roof, and trunk lid with black OEM GFX, and maybe some ZL1/1LE wheels if their is any deployment money s left over still.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
AutoAnything

Drives: Full Garage!
I think what you said makes sense, fix it up and sell it, think about what you want while on deployment, come home safe and get what you want!
AutoAnything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
It sounds like your not that happy with it. If you were gonna sell it I would do that before you deploy. Like you said the value is only going to drop and if your stuck with it for 7-10 months you have a poor chance of selling it then, meanwhile the value still goes down.

I can only imagine as we get closer to the 6th gen release you'll start seeing a bigger loss in value.

Maybe see what you could get for it on trade-in first too.
If you end up spending money to get it ready to sell you might find trading it in for something you like easier.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
ZL-Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The stripes, beige leather & beige door inserts can all be easily changed, however it sounds like your mind is set on a newer car that Metallic red (CRT & RJT) IBM is a great color and is rare, but the metallic reds look really good on the 5th gen.
ZL-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
TurboSS_
SS boiii

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS
idk man, i love that color, it's gorgeous. but yeah like everyone else says, if you aren't happy with it, then why keep it? a newer car will make you more happy. and that's that. lol. good luck on deployment, by the way! thank you for all you guys do!
TurboSS_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark@AutoAnything View Post
I think what you said makes sense, fix it up and sell it, think about what you want while on deployment, come home safe and get what you want!
For me too , sounds like a good plan !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
If you have your mind set on a new car then just sell the car you have. Only you know if it is worth doing the work on it to sell it or sell it as is. Going on deployment for the next few months I would not buy a new car and let it sit in the garage depreciating if I understand everything right. You lose who knows how much the minute you drive the car off the dealer lot but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 20%. I'm sure someone out there knows the exact amount of depreciation
Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2006 Z06
deployments give you time to think about what you really want in your next car.

One piece of adviseon't start looking for a car until you are a week from coming home. Sometimes it stinks to find nice cars while you are deployed Trust me, I know.

BTW: where are you headed to in the spring?
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I think you would be better off fixing up your current car. 54k is not a lot of miles on today's cars. It will cost more to buy a new one and make the mods you want than just fixing what is wrong with your car and making mods to it including adding HUD if you want it.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I was in the same boat as you but not deploying. Just trying to figure out to keep or get new. New won. 2013 SS is sitting about 3 hours away waiting for car hauler to bring her down. Should have her this week.

GMPP Performance Exhaust
Hud
MyLink with Navigation
LS3 with Hurst Shifter
Red not yellow is what made the wife say go get yourself a new car. Since she is Pharmacist and makes twice what I make I had to jump why she said yes.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Road_Warrior85

Most of you understand where I am coming from but a coupld of you are just a little off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL-Bee View Post
The stripes, beige leather & beige door inserts can all be easily changed, however it sounds like your mind is set on a newer car .
I like all the interior and panels... just not the seat skins..... that is too light and too easily stained. I loved it until I realized that.... I originally wanted grey, which I still do, but I'd rather have the dark interior with grey seats rather than that light gray carpet and all that comes with the grey package.
I'm not set in stone on a newer car... I'm just debating on whether or not its really worth it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie RS View Post
If you have your mind set on a new car then just sell the car you have. Only you know if it is worth doing the work on it to sell it or sell it as is. Going on deployment for the next few months I would not buy a new car and let it sit in the garage depreciating if I understand everything right. You lose who knows how much the minute you drive the car off the dealer lot but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 20%. I'm sure someone out there knows the exact amount of depreciation
as said above, I'm not set on anything just yet..... and even then, as much as it would be lovely to get a 2013, I don't have that kind of cash and truth is I doubt I will ever buy another off the lot, unowned car. That depreciation is a killer. I'd rather just get the 1 year old, barely driven car that came from the guy with more money than sense that has to upgrade every single year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think you would be better off fixing up your current car. 54k is not a lot of miles on today's cars. It will cost more to buy a new one and make the mods you want than just fixing what is wrong with your car and making mods to it including adding HUD if you want it.
I would agree with you up and down the road if my biggest aesthetic problem wasn't the paint. That blue is just so much darker than what I want. I can't repaint it because then I would be ahsamed to open the hood and see the inner metals still the old dark blue.... I may not do car shows, but those litle details still eat me alive. can't live with a mismatch like that.

At the end of the day, I am seeing it like this:

2-5 grand will get me a car 1-2 years newer (2011-2012) with half the miles, and none of the quirks and a color that I'm happy with every time I look at it, rather than just when its perfectly clean, and a bright sunny day outside.

The only mods I would have do do-over would be tinting the windows, and side markers, repainting my sound system components to match the new color.

I'm just unsure because its mostly a change in looks than it is an improvement over anything else, its still pretty much the exact same car.
What if I'm smitten by the 6th gen and "MUST" have it, at that point, maybe I'm better off saving that 2-5 grand and selling my car in the future. I think, just thinking but still, that if I swapped cars or kept mine, their would be no difference in value at the end of the day when the 6th gen possibility may arise, because if I dont spend that 2-5K on getting a different car, I'm gonna end up spending it on the one I have now anyway.... which wont follow it to trade in time or resale
Old 10-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Road_Warrior85

Yeah, I know I think too much about it. and am making it a bigger decision than it has to be.

thats the problem with being bored and having too much time on your hands