Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Speedometer error? warning?

Well, a lot of people have talked about the cops pulling them over to look at their car....well the State Trooper pulled me over to issue a speeding ticket.....

I knew I was speeding, but didn't realize I was going as fast as he said I was. I had the cruise set at 63 in a 55....well he clocked me at 67..

After he issued me the ticket I asked him to go in front of me and maintain a 55mph speed. He did so and my cruise was between 51 and 52....

I know I was speeding, but I thought I was at a speed at which I could get away with it, or slow down fast enough to avoid a ticket. 8mph is normally ok, twelve is not....

I will be seeing if my dealer can recalibrate my speedo to the right speed. Not a big deal, I was wrong, but if any one else pushes the "acceptable" Over the limit like me.....be warned.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
hmm..that's interesting..If anyone has a GPS people can do some test if the GPS shows MPH
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Well, a lot of people have talked about the cops pulling them over to look at their car....well the State Trooper pulled me over to issue a speeding ticket.....

I knew I was speeding, but didn't realize I was going as fast as he said I was. I had the cruise set at 63 in a 55....well he clocked me at 67..

After he issued me the ticket I asked him to go in front of me and maintain a 55mph speed. He did so and my cruise was between 51 and 52....

I know I was speeding, but I thought I was at a speed at which I could get away with it, or slow down fast enough to avoid a ticket. 8mph is normally ok, twelve is not....

I will be seeing if my dealer can recalibrate my speedo to the right speed. Not a big deal, I was wrong, but if any one else pushes the "acceptable" Over the limit like me.....be warned.
I wonder if the automatics are this off as well. If they are, then that could throw off the 0-60 times people have been doing with stop watches to see if their auto's are really up to par.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
camaro envy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:

Which wheels did you get? I only ask because I've changed wheels on my cars before and it messed up the speedometer.
camaro envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro envy View Post
Which wheels did you get? I only ask because I've changed wheels on my cars before and it messed up the speedometer.
I have the standard 20's.

But that shouldn't matter. GM has made all the O.D.'s of all three tires sizes the same regardless of which rims you get. That way there is no recalibration due to tires.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
i had this in my monte carlo SS which was a 06. It was three miles per off most of the time. Took it to the dealer and they wont fix it unless its 10% off or more at 55mph plus. But most cops wont pull people over unless they are doing more than 10 over, which you were set about right. Most on average cars are off anywhere from 3-8mph so good luck.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro envy View Post
Wheels should make no difference unless the height of the tire changes.

if the tire for example is 24 inches tall, and the wheel is 20.... then you swap out to 22 inch wheels with 24 inch tires.... then your speedometer will not notice any difference. The tires still travel the same distance per revolution.

Now if you were the guy that jumped up to 26 inch wheels, then obviously, the tire will have to be bigger than 26 inches, and then it will travel further per revolution, and faster than your speedometer thinks.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
i had this in my monte carlo SS which was a 06. It was three miles per off most of the time. Took it to the dealer and they wont fix it unless its 10% off or more at 55mph plus. But most cops wont pull people over unless they are doing more than 10 over, which you were set about right. Most on average cars are off anywhere from 3-8mph so good luck.
I've never seen more than 2 mph off on newer cars. I have a radar gun and I know my car is VERY accurate. There's no reason they shouldn't be accurate, it's inexcuseable.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
camaro envy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
I have the standard 20's.

But that shouldn't matter. GM has made all the O.D.'s of all three tires sizes the same regardless of which rims you get. That way there is no recalibration due to tires.
Ah....did not know that. Learn something new everyday!
camaro envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
The Ky State police are having a targeted enforcement area near my house, this is a portion of the highway where there are many speeders so occationally they step up their patrols and give out lots of speeding tickets. They even post a big sign warning about this titled "Targeted Enforcement Area". They have 3 mobile radar speed signs along the road that tell you your speed. I checked my 2SS RS manual and it was right on the money on every radar display. Not sure why yours would be off, I have the 20" wheel as well.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
I've never seen more than 2 mph off on newer cars. I have a radar gun and I know my car is VERY accurate. There's no reason they shouldn't be accurate, it's inexcuseable.
Typically with bikes, they read faster than what you are going, it's kinda a built in safety feature so the manufacture can't be sued for speeding tickets and insurance rates.

I have never seen it reading slower than what you are actually going.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
TLSTWIN

One good thing about this is it tells me my speed is actually about 112 to 113 when I shift from 3rd to 4th:seesaw:
Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I'm sorry to see nothings changed in Ohio. Years ago on a trip from N.Y. to L.A. and back the one speeding ticket we got was in Ohio. Here in Ct it would be rare to get a ticket for 10-12 over the limit. Everyone drives at least 10 over the 55 or 65 limit. If you didn't you would be pushed off the highway by the other traffic.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
OH is teh gayness for jerk cops and speeding tickets. Glad to have left that miserable state. 8 tickets in 3 years in OH, 1 ticket in 3 years in NC. Believe me, nothing has changed in my driving habits...
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote