Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
SS_wicked_z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
competitive mode problem :( 2012 SS

hey everyone..not sure how to explain this but ill do my best.. when i turn competitive mode on and smash it in first when i speed shift second it like catches/spins then kinda backfires or missfires or something..i dont know how to really explain it better than that..it seems like it almost falls on its face for a quick second..but when i have traction and all that on it doesnt do it? i dont get it..help is needed please :(
SS_wicked_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
You said when you speed shift second. Could you be hitting the rev limiter?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Could be the traction control kicking in. Think about it. You first push turn the traction control off, the second puts it into competitive mode. Hold the button down for five seconds, and you'll be set.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
Could be the traction control kicking in. Think about it. You first push turn the traction control off, the second puts it into competitive mode. Hold the button down for five seconds, and you'll be set.
+1

The same thing happens to me in my 2012 2SS 6-speed manual when im in competition mode.

I think the system is designed more for road racing then drag racing and when it senses the slightest bit of wheel spin in cuts power instantly (that "missfire" feel) to stop the wheel spin.

If i just press the TC button once quickly or hold it down for 5-8 seconds (to shut off all the nannys) it doesnt do it either. With TC on it does it sometimes and doesnt do it other times, but i think thats dependant on how sticky/warm the tires are, haha.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
SS_wicked_z28

it happens after im already in second like it catches then like backfires..but ill try holding it down for the 5-8 seconds
Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
You'll know when you see both orange lights appear. The T/C and the stability. Then rip on it.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
SS_wicked_z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
You'll know when you see both orange lights appear. The T/C and the stability. Then rip on it.
i know that but when those lights are on meaning TC and stability are off is when it does it..its never done it with them both of them on though even if it does spin 1-2..
Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_wicked_z28 View Post
i know that but when those lights are on meaning TC and stability are off is when it does it..its never done it with them both of them on though even if it does spin 1-2..

take it to a dealer it could be anything
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
SS_wicked_z28

ive takin it to the dealer before they looked at me like i was stupid and asked why i was shifting that high -_-...but if i cant figure it out ill just force them to look at it lol