Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 07-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
PonyXpress
Bring the funk!

Drives: 09 Mustang Bullitt
Anyone pick up a game or two from Steam's Summer Sale?

I don't have very many games so I had a lot to choose from, wound up getting these:

Skyrim - $4.99 flash sale! In hindsight I should have gotten the Legendary edition for a few dollars more.

RAGE - $4.99 I hope this doesn't suck, but if it does it was only five bucks, I'm a sucker for that post apocalyptic stuff.

Bioshock Infinite - $7.99 Looked pretty good from what I seen of it, should be a nice addition.

Borderlands GOTY - $9.99 (yikes, what was I thinking?) I had it originally on Xbox 360 but didn't have the dlc's, my curiosity should now be satiated.

Did anyone else here pick anything up?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Picked up a bunch of games. Too many to list.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Just bought the the two older Wargames ... games (European Escalation & AirLand Battle). Not sure if they were explicitly part of the Steam summer sale or not though ...

My biggest problem with buying games online is that a) I have limited monthly bandwitdth and b) when my laptop dies, I'm going to have to re-download all these games if I ever want to play them again. That really sucks. At the end of the month its like 'hmm ... it would cost less in gas to drive to a video store & rent a movie than the bandwith would cost me for 2 hours of high-def streaming video". Granted ... that doesn't explicitly apply to games, but still a GB is a GB no matter what the content. Maybe the internet rates (& overage charges) are lessened for you folks than it is for me north of the border.

Don't get me wrong: I've got a couple dozen games in my Steam library, most of which were bought online (and for under $5 a piece) but still ... having a handful of DVDs for these games would be handy. I still remember the months that it took me to download (most of) the games for Command & Conquer (17 year anniversary) last year on Origin. On the other hand, I have been frustrated when trying to install a game on a disk intended for DOS/Win95 on Vista (or Win 8) machine.

I guess there is no perfect solution
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Just bought the the two older Wargames ... games (European Escalation & AirLand Battle). Not sure if they were explicitly part of the Steam summer sale or not though ...

My biggest problem with buying games online is that a) I have limited monthly bandwitdth and b) when my laptop dies, I'm going to have to re-download all these games if I ever want to play them again. That really sucks. At the end of the month its like 'hmm ... it would cost less in gas to drive to a video store & rent a movie than the bandwith would cost me for 2 hours of high-def streaming video". Granted ... that doesn't explicitly apply to games, but still a GB is a GB no matter what the content. Maybe the internet rates (& overage charges) are lessened for you folks than it is for me north of the border.

Don't get me wrong: I've got a couple dozen games in my Steam library, most of which were bought online (and for under $5 a piece) but still ... having a handful of DVDs for these games would be handy. I still remember the months that it took me to download (most of) the games for Command & Conquer (17 year anniversary) last year on Origin. On the other hand, I have been frustrated when trying to install a game on a disk intended for DOS/Win95 on Vista (or Win 8) machine.

I guess there is no perfect solution
That has to be terrible. No bandwidth caps here with 30 up/30 down.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:51 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
That has to be terrible. No bandwidth caps here with 30 up/30 down.
The worst part about it is that cable TV rates are minuscule in comparison. My internet plan is for 40 GB combined up/down. And since uploads aren't nearly as much as downloads (unless you're web-cam heavy), its probably pretty similar to what you've got overall. But my cable package lets me watch as much as I want each month for a few bucks less each month. And, since its all by the same provider ... in the end THEY GO DOWN THE SAME FIBRE OPTIC CABLES!!!1!!!. So 3 hr/day x 5 days a week (weekdays), + 5 hr/day 2 days a week (weekends) nets 25 hr/wk ~110/mo. That might even be a little light for how much my TV is on. Figuring in 2 GB/hr of TV quality video ... that yields more than 5x more data sent to my TV than to my computer, yet my service provider wants more for my internet.

Sorry for the off-topic rant

The OP was asking about Steam online game-retailer Summer Sale buys?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Picked up quite a few, but most of them are older games that I enjoyed on my 360 and wanted to have on my PC.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote