Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
BlakeD

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
Results: 7,000 after catch can

Hey everyone,

I know a lot post similar threads, but if you are on the edge about getting a catch can and not sure if they are worth it, trust me they are definitely worth it!

Here is how much my Apex catch can has collected after just 7,000 miles.
Attached Images

BlakeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
c5z28
Banned

Drives: Camaro, Corvette, c10 pickup
Oil is not BAD for the top end of your engine(especially if some oil is getting on the valve and oiling the guide...
Just another money pit people like to try to rationalize.
Sorry I am STILL not sold.
c5z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
zissophiss

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
Oil is not BAD for the top end of your engine(especially if some oil is getting on the valve and oiling the guide...
If I wasn't spending money on my Camaro I would be spending it on something else. LOL.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

zissophiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
I'm with you. This has been discussed at length before too. My conclusion (in summary) is -- if there was a problem, we would be hearing more about it. Direct injection is used in a lot of GM engines. The LFX alone is used in several model cars.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
I'm with you. This has been discussed at length before too. My conclusion (in summary) is -- if there was a problem, we would be hearing more about it. Direct injection is used in a lot of GM engines. The LFX alone is used in several model cars.
Exactly. There are a billion more "hey look what I found in my catch can" threads than "I had to have my intake cleaned and valves replaced" threads, despite the vast majority of LFX engines running around out there in the Camaro and other models, NOT having catch cans. Proof is in reality...
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Wouldn't think with today's technology that you'd ever run into a engine design with poor oiling let alone see the benefit from the oil in a vapor. That oil was collected from that catch can in 7,000 miles, that amount isn't even a fraction of the oil that's been pumped through the top end of that rotating assembly in a few minutes.

If its man made it will have flaws and a failure rate. Just like with 350 vortec's with leaking manifold gaskets, looked great on the CAD program, but the gasket didn't end up being thick enough. No different then the GEN I small blocks and the not so great cooling design to the back of the cylinder heads. There's a reason why performance people in racing run water bypasses to the back of the heads. Just because something is produced, doesn't mean it comes without issues or flaws, but overtime it can be redesigned and corrected or it could meet whatever spec GM has.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
The PCV system was not designed to help oil the engine. I think catch cans are a benefit, if not absolutely necessary. Aside from keeping the engine cleaner they can also aid in performance by reducing the negative effect of the crankcase gasses on the intake charge.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
But you did hear more about it... that's why someone invented a Catch Can. OP's residue looks pretty clean, but I'm sure you've seen the disgusting photos by others, showing water diluted sludge coming from the cans. It has a lot to do with how you drive your car also, on how much crud goes back into the engine.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
The only reason they vent the PCV back to the intake (and not to atmosphere like they used to) is because of EPA regulations. The EPA is not in the market of improving performance or longevity of engines. Quite the opposite it seems. A catch can is cheap insurance. Sure, nothing noticeable may ever happen if you don't have one, but why take the chance? I get peace of mind knowing that oil isn't gumming up my valves or causing increased carbon deposits. To me it's worth the few bucks of installing one.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
But you did hear more about it... that's why someone invented a Catch Can...
I don't mean on a forum (anecdotal).

Catch cans are a spinoff from the racing community. Most of us don't need them. It's a placebo, something for companies to make/sell, and for bored hobbyists to buy.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #12
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
But you did hear more about it... that's why someone invented a Catch Can. OP's residue looks pretty clean, but I'm sure you've seen the disgusting photos by others, showing water diluted sludge coming from the cans. It has a lot to do with how you drive your car also, on how much crud goes back into the engine.
I am not going to express my opinion of the value of these cans because I think the majority of you know, but the water diluted sludge found in the cans is a result of the can itself, and the condensation that builds inside it and then mixes with the oil. If the can is not there to collect the oil and the condensation, and then graciously combine the two into a gooey mix, it never happens.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #13
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
I don't mean on a forum (anecdotal).

Catch cans are a spinoff from the racing community. Most of us don't need them. It's a placebo, something for companies to make/sell, and for bored hobbyists to buy.
Yes. Catch cans were born from racing, and the goal was to keep crankcase blowoff/emissions OFF of the track, since crankcase ventilation used to consist of a hole or tube coming out the side of the block, vented at the ground. It has nothing to do with engine longevity...race engines are usually torn down regularly anyway, and/or they see mechanical failure early from high engine speeds.

Is there any doubt there are LLT/LFX engines out there with more than 100k, 150k, with no catch cans? How many people are going to keep their Camaro that long?

And while we're talking about gases and other vapors entering the intake, why does nobody do anything with the LLT/LFX EGR system? (They route right back through the intake...)
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
stoopid

More discussion on the topic:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179559

I found this when I googled "oil catch cans are useless" .