Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #57
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
You only “lose” money if you sell it. I hold onto cars until they are long past the expiration date.

Depreciation is a well understood mechanism with new or used vehicles.

Don’t cry about it if you choose to cycle through cars regularly.

The size of your bank account doesn’t change this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #58
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Well, your car is used too. Maybe I am still that "that guy", but i drive the same car for less money. When driving down the road noone knows if I bought my car used or new. It looks the same as the guy that ordered his.
To clarify, I just recently started playing this game of buying 1 to 2 year old cars after many conversations with friends over me wasting money buying new. I was just like you guys and used all the same arguments. They made me realize that people these days trade cars 5 mins after they buy them (this very fourm proves that). There are good deals to be had on cars that are just as good as the untitled one still with warranties sometimes as good as new. I like to buy cars ,and Im not stuck on one brand. Why not save the depreciation if I can?
The OP's car above is a prime example of what Im talking about. Also, Im not beyond buying new if one comes with a deep enough discount to push it close to one that is year or two old. I appreciate you fellows that have to have the " Im the first one" feeling. If that money you are giving up is worth it to you than go for it. im just over that part of it.

Edit: and yes the idea of saving money is a crazy concept to many people these days. Thus peope living pay to pay, high CC debt , and no money in the bank just to have the lastest car, biggest TV, best cell phone and so on.
Ill accept being crazy. Thank you.
I'm sure there are many in all forums who have a 50-75k vehicle, with nothing in the bank and paying rent, payday to payday. Just to have the latest and greatest. I finally got smart and stopped chasing. No more new let somebody else get financially raped.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #59
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
You only “lose” money if you sell it. I hold onto cars until they are long past the expiration date.

Depreciation is a well understood mechanism with new or used vehicles.

Don’t cry about it if you choose to cycle through cars regularly.

The size of your bank account doesn’t change this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If I buy the same car as you for less money, you paided more no matter how long either one of us keep them. It's simple math.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #60
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I have yet to see a brinks truck follow a hearse to a funeral. I buy what I want when I want. That being said I put plenty away so I can live like I live now when I retire as well. I am too picky cosmetic wise to buy used. That being said I don't ever pay sticker for anything much less more than sticker even if it means I have to wait a bit like in the case of the zl1 1le. When I feel I have struck a good deal i purchase. There are used zl1 1les out there some less than 600 miles and they are asking way more than i am paying for a new one with more options and a higher msrp so in that case does it make sense to buy used? I'll answer that ......NO at least not in this case
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #61
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
ZL1 1LE will hold it's value better than any other Camaro variant simply based on limited availability. Sure, right now you're going to see plenty that were driving off the lots and took the large initial hit, but with time that will level off. Where I'm at Camaros are not typically sold with dealer markups. These ZLE's are marked up 5k at many dealers still. We haven't seen that in quite some time and one reason is they have no other allocations coming in behind to fill in for the sale.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #62
SD1

Drives: 17' GTI DSG SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
If I buy the same car as you for less money, you paided more no matter how long either one of us keep them. It's simple math.
Assuming you both have cash and neither has an opportunity cost associated with the outlay of cash to purchase the car...... ; )
SD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #63
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
ZL1 1LE will hold it's value better than any other Camaro variant simply based on limited availability. Sure, right now you're going to see plenty that were driving off the lots and took the large initial hit, but with time that will level off. Where I'm at Camaros are not typically sold with dealer markups. These ZLE's are marked up 5k at many dealers still. We haven't seen that in quite some time and one reason is they have no other allocations coming in behind to fill in for the sale.
Sorry, I disagree. There is not a product that GM makes that does well in holding it value.

Even the ZR1 tanks. GM is NOT a poster child for retaining their value.

Unless you are Porsche GT series, especially high performance specialty cars usually do the worst in depreciation, they have a very small overall market.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #64
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
ZL1 1LE will hold it's value better than any other Camaro variant simply based on limited availability.
That is exactly what was said about the Z/28. And within 6 months the bottom fell out.

A ZL1-1LE is testing an unnaturally high pricing level for a Camaro, and it is a vehicle that is hard for posers to live with. There are very few buyers who can afford and use the ZL1-1LE as intended (track).

I think it is an awesome vehicle. You think it is an awesome vehicle. Others here think that as well. But we are in a tiny minority.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #65
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
In my not so short a time of buying vehicles, I've had (have, actually) only two that have held, or increased in value: '67 Camaro SS and '70 Charger 500.

The remainder I have sold for less than I paid. I don't "invest" in automobiles. I drive and thoroughly enjoy them (with a somewhat childish grin on my face).
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #66
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
That is exactly what was said about the Z/28. And within 6 months the bottom fell out.

A ZL1-1LE is testing an unnaturally high pricing level for a Camaro, and it is a vehicle that is hard for posers to live with. There are very few buyers who can afford and use the ZL1-1LE as intended (track).

I think it is an awesome vehicle. You think it is an awesome vehicle. Others here think that as well. But we are in a tiny minority.
I agree with you with one exception, I will be using it as my daily driver
Old 03-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #67
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Sorry, I disagree. There is not a product that GM makes that does well in holding it value.

Even the ZR1 tanks. GM is NOT a poster child for retaining their value.

Unless you are Porsche GT series, especially high performance specialty cars usually do the worst in depreciation, they have a very small overall market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post

....and you guys both missed the fact I said better than the other variants and I gave my reason. Either way it's not something I get too wrapped up in because this is just my entertainment/hobby. I'm busy trading Camaros again and on my 3rd truck in 3 years. Which by the way trucks do a lot better as far as holding value.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #68
TRZ06

Quote:
....and you guys both missed the fact I said better than the other variants and I gave my reason. Either way it's not something I get too wrapped up in because this is just my entertainment/hobby. I'm busy trading Camaros again and on my 3rd truck in 3 years. Which by the way trucks do a lot better as far as holding value.
It's all good bro.

I am looking forward though when my lease is up on my M3 in Nov. to get a good discount on the 1LE, the timing will good as well with winter approaching to get a great discount.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #69
likerage

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
It's all good bro.

I am looking forward though when my lease is up on my M3 in Nov. to get a good discount on the 1LE, the timing will good as well with winter approaching to get a great discount.
That's going to be a huge upgrade.
likerage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #70
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
It's all good bro.

That is a good time to do it. I'm going to wait and see what's in store for the 19 ZLE. We should find out something sN