Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #43
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
You may want to consider just changing the rears to level out the car.
When Pedders sold parts in the USA they offered a set of linear springs that also will work in a 1LE. They are hard to find parts.
I have a set for sale if interested
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...31#post9121931
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #44
MBaseman

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leNPP View Post
I when with Hotchkiss 1" lower springs they been on my car for over a year now and I got 70K on the 1LE now . For a DD I would not go lower than a 1" . They gave me the look I wanted but still be able to drive the car every were and with a ride I can live with . I did cut my bounce stop when I put my springs on just so you know.
Good to know. How would you compare the way they ride and handle to the stock springs. Slightly more firm or noticeably more firm, and does the car still behave as good as stock, or slightly better/worse?
MBaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #45
MBaseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
You may want to consider just changing the rears to level out the car.
When Pedders sold parts in the USA they offered a set of linear springs that also will work in a 1LE. They are hard to find parts.
I have a set for sale if interested
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...31#post9121931

Thanks for the info but I personally am not looking to drop the rear only. I like the raked look with these cars. Plus the front has a pretty big wheel gap too. And wouldn't lowering the rear only cause the front to actually raise a bit at the same time? Wouldn't it have to?

The car pictured in your link does look very nice but I am doubting that the only change to that car's stance was the addition of the rear springs. I could be wrong obviously but the front looks lower than stock to me. Maybe it's just the tires and wheels though.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #46
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
The one thing I hate being ask when I lower a car is the ( how does it ride now ) . No one can say for sure if you are going to like the way the car rides after you lower the car but you. What good for me may not be what you like . Now I am getting old (60) and it's getting harder for me to work on the car than when i was younger so when I lower my car I didn't retime my bushing . Than made car ride like crap and it took like 2-3 months before it got happy ( don't do what i did and retime your bushing when you lower your car that would have made the car happy to start with ) . After the 2 to 3 month the car turn into one the best riding car I have lower. Now over really big bumps at real speed it will hit the bounce stop . The back end of the car may ride better than stock the front end of the car on the really big bumps you may miss not having more travel in the front end .

Now I hate to put it this way but you are the only one that can say it was a good thing or a bad thing . The good thing is it's not hard to put the stock springs back in if you don't like it.
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #47
MBaseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leNPP View Post
The one thing I hate being ask when I lower a car is the ( how does it ride now ) . No one can say for sure if you are going to like the way the car rides after you lower the car but you. What good for me may not be what you like .

Now I hate to put it this way but you are the only one that can say it was a good thing or a bad thing . The good thing is it's not hard to put the stock springs back in if you don't like it.

I know what you mean and understand its one's opinion compared to another's. But I was hoping to get your personal opinion, as well as the opinion of others, on the ride quality and handling compared to the stock set up.

Personally, I think the 1LE drives very smooth and is certainly no where close to overly firm or stiff. But not soft and loose either,

Last edited by MBaseman; 05-30-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:48 AM   #48
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaseman View Post
I know what you mean and understand its one's opinion compared to another's. But I was hoping to get your personal opinion, as well as the opinion of others, on the ride quality and handling compared to the stock set up.

Personally, I think the 1LE drives very smooth and is certainly no where close to overly firm or stiff. But not soft and loose either,
I can say with the Hotchkiss springs it is a similar ride to stock and only mildly more "harsh" than stock. The handling is tighter and more responsive too.

I simultaneously did a bigger rear bar, caster locks, camber plates, and some radius rod inserts, plus I did Pete's "Aggressive Street" alignment.

So take my assessment for what it is.

I've also thrown drop springs on at least 4 or 5 of my personal vehicles and this is probably the nicest results I've ever had.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #49
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
On the handle side my car is all stock other than the Hotchkiss spring and using the Hotchiss street performance alignment . I also got a new set of OEM goodyears f1 P285 all the way around . I think handling wise the car dose everything a little better , for me it was the right way to go.
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #50
MBaseman

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I am strongly leaning towards the Hotchkis 1.0" springs now.

I do like the idea of going a bit lower but it's probably not the smartest choice. It seems the Hotchkis give a noticeable enough drop and doesn't take away much of the ride comfort.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:50 AM   #51
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaseman View Post
Ragner, are you lowered at all? I am used to staying away from parking stops. Had an '07 Z06 with the carbon fiber ZL1 splitter and skirts. It quickly taught me not to pull in deep to parking spots.
Stock here, that curb caught me by surprise. You had good practice of what to avoid, you will be able to handle it!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #52
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I've driven lowered cars for years. I have a long time habit of backing into spots...
Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #53
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
I'm not a 1LE, but love my 1" hotchkiss springs.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #54
Scotty D2014

Drives: 2014 SS1-1le Crystal red metallic
That's only lowered a 1"?? Wow
Scotty D2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #55
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D2014 View Post
That's only lowered a 1"?? Wow
Mine? Yes. . Day of install.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #56
MBaseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
I'm not a 1LE, but love my 1" hotchkiss springs.
That has the ideal stance IMO. Noticeable but not too low.

Someone sent me pics of their 1LE on BMR 1.25" and it looked pretty aggressive. He also said the ride was fine. Here's a pic
Attached Images

Last edited by MBaseman; 06-01-2016 at 09:12 PM.