Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
How does the damage look?

So, today I was driving on the highway when the car in front of me slammed on his brakes- he was trying to avoid the car in front of him, and fortunately for him, he did avoid hitting her. But, unfortunately for me, I was unable to avoid hitting him. I tried to brake, and steer my car out of the way, but I still hit his truck. Luckily there is no damage to his truck, and he was really nice about it- but my car had to be towed away, as it wasn't drivable. What do you guys think? Based not he photos, you think it will be totaled? The airbags did not deploy.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aubrey64; 08-22-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Aubrey64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
all cosmetic, no way it's totaled. not even close. and stop tailgating
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
It does not look like a total, though it will come down to the condition of your frame, I'm sure. They never seem to ride the same after something like this. Either way, a costly fix. Hopefully it will not cost too much - as you rear ended and are "at fault" per the insurance POV, so you will want the blow on them financially to be as little as possible, I'd think.

Sorry about the damage to your poor car. Good luck.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
KidRip

Drives: 2014 LT Summit White
You should not get totaled out. My whole bumper came off and they didnt total it out
Attached Images

KidRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
all cosmetic, no way it's totaled. not even close. and stop tailgating
Once you open the engine bay you can tell the damage is a little more than what you may think. I wasn't tailgating....the only reason why I was able to stop myself from hitting him even worse was because I was a fairly safe distance away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
It does not look like a total, though it will come down to the condition of your frame, I'm sure. They never seem to ride the same after something like this. Either way, a costly fix. Hopefully it will not cost too much - as you rear ended and are "at fault" per the insurance POV, so you will want the blow on them financially to be as little as possible, I'd think.

Sorry about the damage to your poor car. Good luck.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I am thinking that it isn't totaled- the only thing that makes me nervous is that my sister recently got in an accident, I was 99% sure her car was fine, and it ended up being totaled. So that is what worries me with this.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
First, I am glad you are ok, but if this is true......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
....the only reason why I was able to stop myself from hitting him even worse was because I was a fairly safe distance away.
you may want to reevaluate your definition of a safe distance! I would hate like hell to see an unsafe distance!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post

you may want to reevaluate your definition of a safe distance! I would hate like hell to see an unsafe distance!
This,

and no way, they'll fix it up. There's almost always more than cosmetic damage, but that's not bad at all. My guess would be 10k max to repair like new.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:

I was just about to write the same thing.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
I wouldn't say totalled. Gonna be a bit pricey, but far from totalled.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #10
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
Quote:

1000 times this.

I've been re-ended in my camaro 2 times because of retards that have no idea what a safe distance is.

OP - Mark a place on the road as the car infront of you passes it (like a street sign, etc), if you can't count to 3 one thousand before you pass that same point, you are not driving at a safe follow distance.
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
Once you open the engine bay you can tell the damage is a little more than what you may think. I wasn't tailgating....the only reason why I was able to stop myself from hitting him even worse was because I was a fairly safe distance away.

a safe distance, by definition, is one that allows you enough space to stop your vehicle safely. it's beyond me how you can consider a distance that was close enough to prevent you from hitting the car in front of you safe.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
a safe distance, by definition, is one that allows you enough space to stop your vehicle safely. it's beyond me how you can consider a distance that was close enough to prevent you from hitting the car in front of you safe.
How the F do you know? Were you there? She said she was a fairly safe distance away, leave it at that. The ****in judgemental people on this board are really annoying sometimes.

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
Gilly Monster

Drives: '14 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post
How the F do you know? Were you there? She said she was a fairly safe distance away, leave it at that. The ****in judgemental people on this board are really annoying sometimes.
I agree here. I can tell you from experience that a safe distance can disappear in the blink of an eye. You can't always predict what the other driving in front will do.. and even when you leave a large 3-5 car length space that tends to disappear on multilane roads rather quickly as it never fails that someone else will change lanes to fill that space.

We don't know the chain of events that occurred in those moments so its unfair to assume that the driver was tailgating. Perhaps she was looking in her blind spot or rearview mirror for a split second to return her eyes to the truck locking up its brakes, that slight time coupled with the reaction time may have cost her the 3-5 feet of stopping space she needed to avoid impact.
Gilly Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
RJT RS

Drives: 11 RJT 2LT/RS
Were you there, or have you been here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post
Uh yeah, you do need to keep a safe distance, in a perfect world. The roads here are so over crowded, if you give a 3-5 second gap someone will dive in, if you don't, no worries, they'll do it anyway. One reason why an SS will get you in trouble around here. Not sayin' you can't keep a safe distance, just not an easy task all the time. Which brings up problem 2, if you do stop, the one behind probably won't.
RJT RS is offline   Reply With Quote