Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
smaegley

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
Broke Something - Help Identify

I was installing my MGW shifter today and was removing the driver side mounting arm pin. Boy, when they say in the video that this is the most difficult part they weren't lying. Anyway, I inserted the 1/8 allen wrench through the access hole to pop the retaining clip out the other side but it didn't release. The wrench would go all the way through but the clip was still stuck. So, I resorted to using a screwdriver to pry the clip off. That worked, but in the process of leveraging the screwdriver on the top of the transmission I snapped off one of the two wire connectors attached. It is just about 4 to 6 inches forward of the retaining clip on the upper side of the transmission. It looks like it is just a stub with a resister in the connector as it doesn't lead away from where it was attached. It is one of those blue and white clips. When it snapped off there was a slight gurgling sound and it looks like some fluid is leaking from where it broke. It is red in color and I would assume it is transmission fluid.

Anyway, tucked my tail between my legs and called a tow to take it to the closest dealer to get it replaced on Monday. Does anyone have any idea what it may be that I broke?

Has anyone else had the same problem with those retaining clips?
smaegley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Trans cooler line
Old 01-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
smaegley

I don't think it was the transmission cooler line. This is an electrical connection. I'm pretty sure it's not the 1st to 2nd lockout solenoid. I installed the lockout by-pass a few months ago and it wasn't that solenoid. It may have been the reverse lockout but I'm not sure.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
It's not a transmission cooler line, the LS3 doesn't flow tranny fluid through it's cooler lines. Not sure what it could be but I'll have a look at mine later as it's in the air for header install and let ya know what I think.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I agree removing the clips id the hardest part. Pumpkin is on the lift. I'll look on my Tuesday my first day off and see what I can see.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
smaegley

Does anyone have an exploded view of the SS manual transmission? I may be able to identify it by looking at that. I checked GM Parts Direct but there aren't any diagrams of the transmission. Apparently you can only buy the whole transmission from them. I hope that isn't the case for this part...If so I think I'm going to be sick.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
1CAMSS

Drives: 2010 1SS CAMARO/GBA/M6- sold.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=tremec+6060

1SS @ home. 12/14/2009
1CAMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
smaegley

Thanks 1CAMSS, that helped. I've circled the part I think I broke on the picture. I can't check for sure because my car is now at the shop sitting in the lot. Does anyone know what this is? I only broke the small connector off of the end of it. I didn't break the entire part off. Just the plastic blue and white clip.

Last edited by smaegley; 01-30-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
reverse lockout or skip shift solenoid
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
reverse lockout or skip shift solenoid
+1 looked at some pic's from when we dropped my trans sure looks like the culprit
Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 AM   #11
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaegley View Post
Thanks 1CAMSS, that helped. I've circled the part I think I broke on the picture. I can't check for sure because my car is now at the shop sitting in the lot. Does anyone know what this is? I only broke the small connector off of the end of it. I didn't break the entire part off. Just the plastic blue and white clip.

I would think the dealer can get the solenoid for you.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
smaegley

Well - I just learned a huge heart breaking lesson today. The dealer identified the broken part. It is the 2-3 solenoid. I wasn't aware there was one. Anyway, $200 for the replacement part. That isn't the bad part. To replace it they have to drop the exhaust and transmission out of the car. That's another $900 in labor bringing it to about $1100 plus tax.

This is a huge setback for me. I 'm fairly handy and consider myself capable of doing just about anything. One slip of a screwdriver in a split second is going to cost me more than it would have cost me to have someone else do it. My wife is understanding, but I think I may be out of modifications for a long time. I'm quite depressed about this now.

Let this thread serve as a warning to anyone installing an aftermarket shifter on their own. Be VERY CAREFUL around the transmission. I couldn't see the connector I broke or I would have avoided it.

I need a drink.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
MGW

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaegley View Post
Well - I just learned a huge heart breaking lesson today. The dealer identified the broken part. It is the 2-3 solenoid. I wasn't aware there was one. Anyway, $200 for the replacement part. That isn't the bad part. To replace it they have to drop the exhaust and transmission out of the car. That's another $900 in labor bringing it to about $1100 plus tax.

This is a huge setback for me. I 'm fairly handy and consider myself capable of doing just about anything. One slip of a screwdriver in a split second is going to cost me more than it would have cost me to have someone else do it. My wife is understanding, but I think I may be out of modifications for a long time. I'm quite depressed about this now.

Let this thread serve as a warning to anyone installing an aftermarket shifter on their own. Be VERY CAREFUL around the transmission. I couldn't see the connector I broke or I would have avoided it.

I need a drink.
i really hate to hear this and i am sorry you have had such bad luck. i really htink they are POSSIBLY being a bit dishonest here as it would seem to me that this solenoid is a screw in type just like the reverse solenoid in front and if so you should not have to remove the tranny to install it. you may want to get another dealer to look at it.

regards
george
MGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
smaegley

Quote:
i really htink they are POSSIBLY being a bit dishonest here as it would seem to me that this solenoid is a screw in type just like the reverse solenoid in front and if so you should not have to remove the tranny to install it. you may want to get another dealer to look at it.
Unfortunately with the transmission fluid leaking from the solenoid it isn't really driveable. I can't afford any more to truck it around town getting a quote. I guess I can call around, but I suspect nobody will quote me a price without looking at it. The part isn't going to be in for a week so I may try calling around but I don't have a lot of hope.