Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
IOMss11

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange metallic 2SS
gas smell on startup from engine

Hey all, have. A question for my 2011 full bolt on, and cammed camaro ss.

On start up, lll get a straight gasoline smell coming from the vents it seems every time and I've had my car cammed.for about 4 months now. Has.anyone else come across this issue and is it just common after doing a cam install? Also I was told by my tuner that the "ticking" sound coming from the engine is common with the LS3 motor that after you install a bigger cam, the valves are opening more hence creating the louder "tick" sound the ls3 has stock. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
IOMss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Bet your running catless. And with a cam and tune and no cats you will get a wiff of gas fumes . Try running the HVAC on recirculate .
Old 09-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
IOMss11

I have the hi-Flo cats, but that's it no mufflers. Sorry forgot to mention that.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
High flow cats will still do this (it helps a little with the smell compared to no cats) and i really don't think if you have mufflers or don have them you should still smell gas.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Stock injectors? The first 4 seconds of startup are tuned separately from the MAF and VE tables, that could be set too rich. I've seen a bunch of tunes where startup airflow wasn't tuned.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I do not smell any gas on mine when I start it up in the morning in my garage with the garage door open ,and my car doors and windows closed . SP 1 7/8 Long tubes and what is jokeingly called HF cats ,with a Nick-D tune. .
Old 09-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I have about the biggest cam out there I imagine .639/.623 and no gas smell though I have high flow cats, also I have no ticking at all and used 7.375 pushrods as per my gm gurus advice.....never had ticking and still do not... the only gas I can smell is by the exhaust from running a little rich as per needed by a rad cam on start up, and to avoid ever going lean. many do not know to use the length of pushrod I used as many places just sell the 7.40 and its not a common thing to find out anywhere most notable by searching here or there. Then of course I also run driven racing oil......I had a h.p. tune on a mustang dyno by a electrical engineer who does just g.m. products..... wongs performance engineering.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
IOMss11

Shit, I guess back to my tuner he said it was normal and it's a GM shop, corvettes and camaros.. I just can't win
Old 09-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Same here I had recently had LT headers and high flow cats installed with a tune, I also run muffler delete and there's a slight smell of gas too.

Is this something to be concerned with and head back to the tuner or should I ignore it?
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Shouldn't be a major concern. It could probably be tuned out, but isn't a big deal. Those HFCs just aren't as efficient when cold during startup.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #11
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
I had a mild fuel odor when I first have my tune and catless LTH and ZL1 retro exhaust put in. It went away after a few weeks..
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
Jason_SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMss11 View Post
Hey all, have. A question for my 2011 full bolt on, and cammed camaro ss.

On start up, lll get a straight gasoline smell coming from the vents it seems every time and I've had my car cammed.for about 4 months now. Has.anyone else come across this issue and is it just common after doing a cam install? Also I was told by my tuner that the "ticking" sound coming from the engine is common with the LS3 motor that after you install a bigger cam, the valves are opening more hence creating the louder "tick" sound the ls3 has stock. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
What are the specs on the cam? Depending on how much valve overlap your cam has that can effect the "rich" gas smell. My cam has 8 degrees of overlap and I can smell gas at idle and I even have HF cats.

As I understand it if the car has the o2s in tack still it will not be rich at idle since the o2s are pulling and adding fuel to get the commanded 14.7 AFR. The fuel smell is from the overlap of a larger cam. When both Intake and Exhaust valves are open at the same time the fuel coming into the cylinder will make its way straight into the exhaust and never get burnt in the cylinder thats what gives off the fuel smell. Even larger cams will stink really bad at idle even if the tune commands it to be really lean. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #13
IOMss11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_SS View Post
What are the specs on the cam? Depending on how much valve overlap your cam has that can effect the "rich" gas smell. My cam has 8 degrees of overlap and I can smell gas at idle and I even have HF cats.

As I understand it if the car has the o2s in tack still it will not be rich at idle since the o2s are pulling and adding fuel to get the commanded 14.7 AFR. The fuel smell is from the overlap of a larger cam. When both Intake and Exhaust valves are open at the same time the fuel coming into the cylinder will make its way straight into the exhaust and never get burnt in the cylinder thats what gives off the fuel smell. Even larger cams will stink really bad at idle even if the tune commands it to be really lean. Hopefully that makes sense.
Yes makes sense a little, here's is the sheet from comp; is this a small/mid/big cam? How are the specs? Thanks

Grind is 281 LRR HR13
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
Jason_SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMss11 View Post
Yes makes sense a little, here's is the sheet from comp; is this a small/mid/big cam? How are the specs? Thanks

Grind is 281 LRR HR13
It's a relative statement but I would say that your cam is on the larger side for a daily driver LS3 cam 231/247 duration and .617/.624 valve lift cut on a 113 LSA with 13 degrees of overlap.

(Intake Duration+Exhaust Duration)/2 - (LSA * 2)= Valve Overlap

As far as the ticking sound, what pushrod length did you go with on your cam swap? The aftermaret cams typically have a smaller core size then the factory cam so if you don't have the proper preload on the rocker arm/valve spring that can increase valve train noise. I'm running 1.425 BTR chromoly hardened pushrods, BTR .660 polished dual valve springs and a Cam motion cam with no ticking sound. Actually my valve train is only slightly louder than stock.

Also are you running an oil high in ZDDP like Amsoil Z-Rod, Joe Gibbs LS30 Or Valveoline VR-1?