Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #57
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Absolutely love it! More details when I get home.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #58
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Sweet!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #59
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #60
Saint Alban

So, the Helmholtz pipe works. Mach's calculations seem to be spot on. I have 0 drone now as well! Even at low speeds, theres no annoying vibrations and i no longer have to get out of that drone rpm range. We both have a Vmax ported throttle body and Vararam intake (which made it easy for me to just copy his measurements). We don't know if that's a factor in the equation but would recommend you make your own calculations and get your own numbers to see what length of pipe to use. It absolutely does work though and I completely agree that this is now the perfect exhaust. It's quiet when I want to drive normally and still has sound when I want it.

Mach, if you can, can you post the equation for everyone to plug in their own numbers please?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #61
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Well this is good news for all MRT ppls. Having just come off of the SOLO Mach X with J-Pipes, I can attest to this technology's effectiveness. Especially considering how freakin loud the SOLO w/ LT combo is. Go forth and mod.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #62
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
very interesting stuff indeed!!!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #63
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Well this is good news for all MRT ppls. Having just come off of the SOLO Mach X with J-Pipes, I can attest to this technology's effectiveness. Especially considering how freakin loud the SOLO w/ LT combo is. Go forth and mod.
Yea if anyone is telling themselves "I've never heard of this Helmholtz stuff, it sounds like crap". Consider this:

1. Solo's cat-back system already has them...

2. So does the stock GM exhaust...
Old 11-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #64
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
In the shop right now having it done. Nervous as hell. They're using your pictures as reference (Mach). They don't know how you got such a clean hole in the pipe or what you used to cap it off.

9:43am

10:25am

One side done.

That looks great!!! I got a 2 inch hole saw from Ace hardware. Destroyed it by the 2nd hole. I reused the metal that the hole saw cut out as the cap!!! That's green thinking LOL.

Make sure the pipe doesn't touch the muffler on the sides. I actually welded the pipe to the muffler exit pipe were the 180 degree bend is to prevent any vibration.

Also remember that when you start the car you will still get the BRRRRRRRRR during choke operation. The reason being is that choke drone is 160 Hz. But after 10 seconds it goes away as the car goes out of choke. Remember the 29 inch pipe kills 120Hz drone. When this first happened.. I was like F&%K it didnt work. But once you get cruising you will notice a big difference.

EDIT: Just read that it all worked out for you!!! THAT'S GREAT!! It made my day!! ANOTHER MRT HELMHOLZ CONVERSION. We are the only 2 in existence now!!!

P.S. You owe me a beer!
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!

Last edited by Mach; 11-29-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #65
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
That looks great!!! I got a 2 inch hole saw from Ace hardware. Destroyed it by the 2nd hole. I reused the metal that the hole saw cut out as the cap!!! That's green thinking LOL.

Make sure the pipe doesn't touch the muffler on the sides. I actually welded the pipe to the muffler exit pipe were the 180 degree bend is to prevent any vibration.

Also remember that when you start the car you will still get the BRRRRRRRRR during choke operation. The reason being is that choke drone is 160 Hz. But after 10 seconds it goes away as the car goes out of choke. Remember the 29 inch pipe kills 120Hz drone. When this first happened.. I was like F&%K it didnt work. But once you get cruising you will notice a big difference.

EDIT: Just read that it all worked out for you!!! THAT'S GREAT!! It made my day!! ANOTHER MRT HELMHOLZ CONVERSION. We are the only 2 in existence now!!!

P.S. You owe me a beer!
I definitely do! I am very grateful for your research and hard work, it turned out better than I imagined. And I had him tack weld the parts that were touching because I figured there might be some vibration.

PS - I like the sound of that "only 2 in existence now". :-)
Old 11-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #66
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
I definitely do! I am very grateful for your research and hard work, it turned out better than I imagined. And I had him tack weld the parts that were touching because I figured there might be some vibration.

PS - I like the sound of that "only 2 in existence now". :-)

It's a pleasure contributing to the C5 community!!!

Just wait till you get your ride on the highway. It's so quiet the road and wind noise will start driving you crazy. LOL

Mid Dec I am doing this... http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-Truck-B...2600790&sr=8-1

Product Features

• Tough, durable 2 part urethane coating
  • Enough material to re-spray the largest truck beds
  • Dries rapidly & UV resistant Scratch & stain resistant
  • Protects against rust, corrosion salt, damp & extreme temperatures
  • Waterproof, flexible, helps deaden sound & vibrations

This is bomb proof stuff. Thinner and more rubberized then the standard truck bed liner. I will paint all the exposed metal on entire bottom of the car and the metal behind the fender plastic fender skirts. This will quiet the car down even more because its like liquid Dynamat and prevent any rust. Just in time for winter!
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #67
Saint Alban

Keep me updated on that.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #68
Saint Alban

I've updated my original post and added more photos to it.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #69
One Sick Camaro
That Cam though...

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS 02 T/A WS6 15 SSV
if you want a quiet car why didn't you get a prius lol. Idk maybe me but looks a little redic to see that piping from the back of the car. but glad you found the culprit of the drone for people
Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #70
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Sick Camaro View Post
if you want a quiet car why didn't you get a prius lol. Idk maybe me but looks a little redic to see that piping from the back of the car. but glad you found the culprit of the drone for people
No one said he wanted quiet... Being a Camaro forum, i think a Volt would be a better choice than the Prius... LOL
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote