Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
seabbott

Drives: 2005 Acura TL 6MT
Camaro 2SSRS VS Challenger RT (time sensitive)

February 28, 2010 (sorry for the length)

I have been wanting to purchase a new Camaro for quite some time. In fact, I finally told myself that I would wait it out for a Vert. Apparently I got bored yesterday and decided to go "window shopping" to compare the nice looking Challenger and Camaro. I told myself it's just for giggles.

So.... I went to one of the local Dodge dealerships just to test drive a Challenger RT 6MT before I went to the Chevy dealer two doors down to do the same with a Camaro 6MT. I wanted something similar to compare to the Camaro since the only RWD car I have driven was a 10 minute G8 GXP test drive.

When I took the RT 6MT out on I-465, all kinds of people were pointing, staring, and waving. The car was a hoot to drive, but it did feel a little soft. (I know there is an alternate suspension kit available for $400 and I am pretty sure I would want it). Also, I didn't feel like the RT had enough "oomph". The G8GXP 6MT I tested last year moved! I have to assume that the Camaro will do the same. The interior of the RT is MUCH larger than the Camaro. I have sat in the Camaro and was surprised at the size difference.

The Dodge dealer then made all kinds of efforts to keep me in the building. Asking what would it take to get me in the car tonight. I felt like I was in a bad movie. Eventually I made a ridiculous offer (thinking they would laugh me out of the building) and they said "ok". I ended up staying 45 minutes after the closing bell talking it out with the dealer and my wife on the phone. Ultimately, I walked because I felt like I was rushing into it, but the dealer is leaving the deal on the table until Monday night.

Monday after work I will go to the Chevy dealer, see if they can come close to the deal I made on the Challenger on a Camaro. I really only want the Aqua Blue (there are a few left in the mid-west) and would consider IBM. I know what the mag's say about the Challenger Vs Camaro Vs Mustang. What I would like to know is if other "real world people" have driven these cars back to back and what those opinions might offer?

Thanks for listening.
seabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Sounds like you appreciate performance. The R/T stands for "Real Turd". Those cars run low 14s at my local track. New Camaro puts about 10 car lengths on an R/T, I've done it too many times when my car was stock.

If you decide on the Challenger, get the SRT8 instead. Seriously. The R/T has all of the looks, but none of the punch.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
The best thing you could do is test drive the Camaro just like you did the Challenger. Tell the Chevy dealer to make you a comparable deal as the Dodge dealer. In the end what you want versus the price you are willing to pay is completely your decision. Best of Luck.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
I have driven the GT Mustang, the Challanger.... BUT ... I OWN a Camaro (2SS/RS). The challanger, to me, is just a passenger car that has a little stamina. It doesn't even come close to the feel of my Camaro
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
If power is not your top priority, then you will be fine with the R/T. Not saying it does not have power, it does, but compared to my LS3 it seemed really sluggish. My LS3 is
a scary beast. Oh and welcome to C5.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
It sounds like you're looking for an OVERALL view of both cars from real owners. Reading mags and getting answers from owners still can only tell you so much. You're on the right path with holding off until you've driven both. In the end YOU are the one with the car, so don't let anything else "make" a decision for you. Look and feel everything about the cars, drive them more than once if needed, and put yourself in the mindset that its months or years down the road and realize the day to day things you will be dealing with between the two....a small thing will seem huge if it nags at you everyday you have to deal with it. Take it slow and take it all in.....enjoy your ride...whatever it will be!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
I did test drive all three in one day, and drive both of them on a regular basis (my friend has a 2010 SS)

Ultimately you have to pick which car speaks to you the most. Not to quote a movie..but its a bit like the line in Transformers "A driver dont pick the cars, cars pick the driver".

Each car has its pros and cons, make no mistake about it. The Camaro is harder to see out of than the Challenger and does have less space, which will be an issue if you're over about 6' and 200 lbs or so.

Comparing the physical powertrains the edge goes to the SS, assuming you're a good manual driver, which I'm going to work on the assumption that you are.

If you're wanting a low volume/production car..then the Challenger has the edge with around 3,000 produced each month vs. around 10,000 for the Camaro. Not saying the Camaro isnt a cool car at all! There will just be alot of them in the coming years (like the Mustang and Chargers)

Either way you're going to get a great car. The runners on the Challenger side are the R/T Automatics, who put down average low-mid 13 1/4's stock. Stock SRT's are into the 12's.

So ultimately if you're wanting
More interior space, low volume car, power and more retro styling=Challenger
More power, less interior space and higher volume car=Camaro.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
I did test drive all three in one day, and drive both of them on a regular basis (my friend has a 2010 SS)

Ultimately you have to pick which car speaks to you the most. Not to quote a movie..but its a bit like the line in Transformers "A driver dont pick the cars, cars pick the driver".

Each car has its pros and cons, make no mistake about it. The Camaro is harder to see out of than the Challenger and does have less space, which will be an issue if you're over about 6' and 200 lbs or so.

Comparing the physical powertrains the edge goes to the SS, assuming you're a good manual driver, which I'm going to work on the assumption that you are.

If you're wanting a low volume/production car..then the Challenger has the edge with around 3,000 produced each month vs. around 10,000 for the Camaro. Not saying the Camaro isnt a cool car at all! There will just be alot of them in the coming years (like the Mustang and Chargers)

Either way you're going to get a great car. The runners on the Challenger side are the R/T Automatics, who put down average low-mid 13 1/4's stock. Stock SRT's are into the 12's.

On average, the Dodge Challenger R/T is a high 13- low 14 sec car.

I was at the track two weeks ago (-200 ft DA) with excellent track conditions. The best a guy could do all day in his Dodge Challenger R/T was
13.8s - 13.9s. That's with absolutely no wheel spin leaving the line.

GM High Tech tested a Dodge Challenger R/T in 72 degree air and it couldn't do any better than 14.17 in the 1/4 mile. That same day the Camaro SS was running 13.09 in the 1/4 mile.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
seabbott

Drives: 2005 Acura TL 6MT
Thanks for the input so far. When I drove the G8 GXP 6MT, I didn't stop smiling for about 4 days. I REALLY wanted it. I just refused to pay "over the top" prices for a car that every dealer seemed to think would be a collectors item. I want to drive the car, not put it in a garage. I guess the feeling I had when I drove the G8 is what I am looking for in whatever new car I purchase. I would also prefer more interior room (for 3 year old daughter) but it isn't necessary. I do too think that the SRT8 would be a better choice and probably put that smile on.

I really can't wait to drive the Camaro. I've sat in them and the drivers position feels pretty good. I drive 50 miles each way to work, mostly highway with enough curvy back roads to make it fun. Does anyone drive long distances in the Camaro? Are the seats supportive enough? I am 6'4" @ 300lbs so the Challenger does feel like it would be good for long distances.

As for track times, I have no desire to take the car out to ORP (IRP). I'm looking more at what it feels like in real world driving.

Again, thanks for the input
seabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
DaveT

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM LS3
Things might be a little tight in a Camaro at 6'4" and 300lbs.
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
76z28

Drives: 1976 camaro
Quote:

the srt8 will run like a 12.99 or mid 13s
the rt had a touch time reaching a 13.7 which couldnt even out run the mustang the rt is a high 13 to mid 14 car
76z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
coolman

For me it came down to performance. I like the looks of the challenger better than the camaro ,but I couldn't get past the fact that for the price of an R/T I could get better than SRT8 performance. If the performance doesn't matter to you as much then the challenger is a well balanced great looking touring car.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:

Agree with most points here. pretty fair comparo I would say.

The Camaro is definitely faster than the RT. No doubt about it. However, do you plan on racing? If so I'd get the Camaro.

However, most people couldn't care less about quarter mile times. The average joe doesn' much care about a half a second difference in the quarter mile. Get what YOU like the best. Drive them both and get what you want to.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Wvallediego

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 RS SS
Chally R/T, it that the one with the 5.7L HEMI V8? If it is, then there cannot be any comparison. It's only grade at 372 hp. That why it feels sluggish. 372 vs 426 on the camaro is a big difference. The more comparable one would be the SRT, but that chally is more pricey. The challenger is a beautiful car. If there was no Camaro that is the car I would buy (SRT). If you are a big guy and don't care about the power loss then you should buy the challenger, otherwise a Camaro 22ss should be your car.

By the way, Welcome to C5. I know what you will decide.
Wvallediego is offline   Reply With Quote