Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
CAI cold air induction with E-Force

When I installed the CAI I also installed an ADM race scoop and washer bag as well. The below thread details the CAI install and has some good pictures of filter location and placement in relation to the washer bag on the second page. With the removal of the washer bottle, more room is afforded for the air filter to move inside the air box, but it may also work with the washer bottle but I do not know.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91410

With the CAI air box installed, throttle body installed on the supercharger and the inlet pipe rubber adapter connected to the throttle body, the measurements begin.
Remember: always measure twice and cut once!

Remove the air box lid and install the air filter as in the pictures on page 2 of above link.

Using a piece of copper electrical wire, wire coat hanger, etc, insert the wire into the throttle body rubber inlet pipe adapter until the wire contacts the throttle body housing.

Place a mark on the wire with a sharpie where the wire exits the rubber adapter.

Shape / curve the wire down to the air filter, and place a mark on the wire with a sharpie where the wire enters the rubber filter.

Starting with the MAF / air filter end of the inlet pipe, lay the wire on top of the inlet pipe and maneuver it until you achieve the best fit with the wire and pipe. At the MAF end, you should see that the sharpie mark is approximately 1 inch or so from the MAF housing. Wrap masking tape around the pipe where the sharpie mark is located on the wire.

At the throttle body side, wrap masking tape on the inlet pipe where the end of the wire is located and write the letters “TB” (for throttle body) on the masking tape. Also, wrap masking tape around the inlet pipe where the sharpie mark is on the wire and write the letters “RA” (for rubber adapter) on the masking tape. This will indicate the amount of travel you have for the pipe to move on the throttle body side.

Lay the inlet pipe overtop of the throttle body at the left side masking tape position (“TB” and “RA” side) and overtop of the air filter at the right side masking tape position – here you will see that the filter will need to be angled slightly and that a washer bag allows the filter to move toward the front of the car. I haven't attempted this with a washer bottle so that might work as well.

If you need to adjust the masking tape slightly, go ahead but you should be close.

Using a saws-all ():

On the throttle body side of the pipe, cut through the inlet pipe at the very outside edge of the tape marked “TB”. The masking tape will help with shards and also give you a nice reference.

Slide the air filter to the side, insert the inlet pipe into the air box and then insert the inlet pipe into the throttle body rubber adapter. (I generally use a small amount of lithium grease on the rubber to more easily move the pipe around). Slide the air filter on to the inlet pipe, maneuver the inlet pipe to get the best fit and tighten down the throttle body side.

Examine the air filter side of the pipe and the fitment.

As stated earlier, the air filter will be angled slightly toward the front of the car (see attached picture).

If your air filter slides on far enough that there is no interference with the car fender, no cutting will be necessary.

If the air filter is installed all the way and still contacts the fender, remove the air filter, remove the inlet pipe, wrap the very end of the inlet pipe at the air filter end with masking tape and cut off the very end with a saws-all (approximately ½ - ¾” ).

Reinstall and measure fitment again, trim slightly if needed.
Once the pipe fits as desired, remove all masking tape, remove tape residue with alcohol, grease rubber portions with lithium grease, slide the pipe in and tighten down the clamps and enjoy.

Hope this is helpful.
Attached Images

Hers & His
gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
shl4Z28

Drives: 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
Thanks for taking the time to put this together!!!!

shl4Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Look good awesome. love the powder coat black!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
gearhead440

Thanks, guys! It's the wife's car and she says the things that set this combo off the most are the yellow lettering and black throttle body combined with the CAI in black (yes I painted it all except the CAI). 585 rwhp with stock manifolds and factory cat doesn't lie about the performance potential of the combination (coupled with some Royal Engineering, of course ).

Hers & His
Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
shl4Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead440 View Post
Thanks, guys! It's the wife's car and she says the things that set this combo off the most are the yellow lettering and black throttle body combined with the CAI in black (yes I painted it all except the CAI). 585 rwhp with stock manifolds and factory cat doesn't lie about the performance potential of the combination (coupled with some Royal Engineering, of course ).
That's great power for sure. Many people have mentioned the need to upgrade the fuel system. Have you looked into that for your setup?

Last edited by shl4Z28; 08-13-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
gearhead440

shl4Z28:

Before I purchase 1 piece, I do my homework. Check out this thread for the mods performed on the car and if you would like to know more, please PM me and I'll be more than happy to tell you as much as my trade secrets will allow :

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138038

I have a set of ceramic coated LT headers and high flow cats (in black of course) sitting in the garage that I will be installing and having dyno tuned in the next couple of months which should net a solid 600 rwhp.

Hers & His
Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
shl4Z28

Quote:
shl4Z28:

Before I purchase 1 piece, I do my homework. Check out this thread for the mods performed on the car and if you would like to know more, please PM me and I'll be more than happy to tell you as much as my trade secrets will allow :

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138038

I have a set of ceramic coated LT headers and high flow cats (in black of course) sitting in the garage that I will be installing and having dyno tuned in the next couple of months which should net a solid 600 rwhp.
Thanks Gearhead!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Good write up!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
gearhead440

Thanks, Bill. Judging by the PM's I've received you might consider this an option for your CAI line.

Hers & His
Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Thanks, Bill. Judging by the PM's I've received you might consider this an option for your CAI line.
It is definitely being considered. To decide what we are going to develop next we simply go off of demand. What lot of people do not realize is that we have literally hundreds of people requesting a system for their trucks, G8 GT, Mustang (I know thats probably a bad word on this forum lol) the new 6.4L Hemi, Corvette and CTS. There are so many different Superchargers and even updates to them for the Camaro that its almost impossible to design an intake for every option out there. It is definitely not out of the question, but realalistically the next new product you will see from CAI Inc. will most likely be a truck system. I know that's probably not the answer you are looking for, but I just want to be as honest with you guys as possible so that there are no false expectations.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote