Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
MS-8 channel 1, 2 input question

Hope this brand new referb i bought from harmon is not messed up. Here goes.. Since i very first turned this thing on it's been horrable...... If this is the same company that made my home audio technology there some issues going on. These were and have been my thoughts for the what 2 weeks i have had this.. So I figured its time to figure this out. Channel 2 's output is 100 times louder and better than channel one. I would have to say its how the factory intended it to work and create a new signal. channel one on the other hand I can barrly here, there is soe poping noise and well the thing is like crazy hard to deal with. I litteraly have to turn a song on and spend the entire time seting the EQ to get it to sound at least somewhat like the music should. Then I have to hit the skip back buttonand listen. new song comes on and poof, right back to adjusting....

ok so on a factory radio the book said to only use one and two all of the wiring was correct. tripple checked. I even had the same results

Last edited by mgoodbar; 03-17-2013 at 05:17 AM.
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
It really depends on what the head microphones picked up when you did the calibration, as to what you get out. I had a loose speaker wire on the drivers door, so only the left front tweeter was playing when I did the cal on mine, and it sounded terrible when done, with left and right speaker volumes mis-balanced and tone issues.

I fixed the connections on my speakers, set all head unit settings to flat response, faders balanced, left right balanced, and re-calibrated, and when done it sounds fantastic.

If you are only going to use input 1 and 2, you can turn the fader all the way to front, tones all flat, balance centered left and right, any bass boost set to off, then do the calibration again. I like to set the MS-8 volume to between -30 and -40 when I do the calibration, then I get extra bass when it's finished. Just set the MS-8 volume to between -4 and -6 when done, and use the head unit's volume for convienience.
rray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
I had an issue with an RCA cable that did something similar to me. I wish you lived a little closer - it's so hard to help out when you can't see everything.

Also of note: with the MS-8, you're not going to hear a lot of output from your rear speakers if you have Logic7 turned on. That shouldn't have anything to do with your problem, unless you assigned channel 1 as a rear output and then connected it as a front output.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

i will get to checking........
Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

ok ok ok... I give................... These low level out puts on the factory radio are putting out 2.2 to 2.5 volts acording to 2 differant meters.. not all the time but there are spikes in it.. Fluke 87 and what ever the other one I have is... Fluke clamp on >>> dont recall the number...... So what resistor needs to be put inline with this to protect the MS-8????

I have not had a chance to mess with anything except checking my voltage on the RCA jacks going to the MS-8

??? Can I set it up to use channel 2 and 3 input instead of 1 and 2??

I went ahead and ordered some JL audio RCA splice in connectors instead of the Memphis audio I have now.....
Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
The spec sheet says that the MS-8 can take 2.8V line input, so you should be OK with spikes as long as they are not something abnormal like 30V for 5ms or something. We are assuming an RMS or average input with normal spikes from cliping level signals.

As far as using other line inputs, remember they are summing all the lefts and all the rights, so I don't see why you cannot try other inputs, but first, remember that you can swap left for right inputs to test and see if the problem follows the head unit or the MS-8 channel.

In other words, if you test by swapping inputs 1 and 2, re-calibrate, and you still have channel 2 output 100 times louder, then the issue is with the MS-8. (The MS8 don't know Left from Right at the input, it takes your word for it, and maps the outputs accordingly) So this test proves that it's not a head unit issue.

Next, you can try using inputs 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2. If what I read is correct, then channels 1,3,5,7 are summed, and 2,4,6,and 8 are summed.

Another test you can do is to use the AUX inputs on the other side of the MS-8. Connect your line in there, and select AUX input on the MS-8 input selection screen.

Also, remember there is a factory reset feature, and when in doubt, reset then re-calibrate.
rray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
yeah, you definitely dont need a resistor. Ive hooked the MS-8 upt to aftermarket head units that put out 5v with no ill effect. I'm thinking bad rca or bad input channel. possibly a bad output on that front left channel to.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Not trying to jack the thread but curious if anyone has a problem with MS-8 in cold weather. Mine won't come on at all during low single digit temps and then left comes on after warm up. Later, the right will come on. They both come on fine when the outside temp is above about 34 F. Sent e-mail to JBL to see if they can diagnose it or replace it. Don't think it has ever worked completely right since I dropped it during install

I'm guessing it has a fracture in a circuit that only closes after it warms up.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWI View Post
Not trying to jack the thread but curious if anyone has a problem with MS-8 in cold weather. Mine won't come on at all during low single digit temps and then left comes on after warm up. Later, the right will come on. They both come on fine when the outside temp is above about 34 F. Sent e-mail to JBL to see if they can diagnose it or replace it. Don't think it has ever worked completely right since I dropped it during install

I'm guessing it has a fracture in a circuit that only closes after it warms up.
I've seen crazier stuff happen, so that is def. a possibility.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

update.. been a long long time sorry guys.. i had to send that MS-8 in for repairs.. im back on the car now.. and it sounds great with the new processor.. i have another post with a new issue though... your right dont need any resistors. just make sure when your doing the set up ... Dont turn the MS-8 to like -30 and your radio to 30 during the checking for signal.. its like so not cool to have max volume at 12 on the radio.... lol