Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Jmar

Drives: 2012 LS3 CRM, V8 Healey, Mini
MGW Shifter Installed/Upgrades

I installed my new shifter today and thought I'd share some of the changes that aren't in the installation video. Those who are deciding whether to DIY or take it to a shop may find this helpful. The parts described are in the picture below. Also it is important to watch the video for everything else.

The aluminum plate with two screws is used to secure the large, lower boot, that sits above the tunnel. The lip of the boot goes between this plate and the sheetmetal, and is pinched in place.This creates two bumps in the insulation that sits on top of the tunnel. Simply trim the corners of the insulation with a razor knife. Otherwise, the silver trim piece will not sit flush in the console. The insulation pushes up on the traction control/cigarette lighter buttons.

The revised legs had new rubber bushings installed, but were not labeled "Left/Right" as in the video. This raised some concern on my part since this was not addressed in the addendum or the video. After comparing both shifters, the legs appeared to line up the same way in both positions, so I went ahead with the install. I'll call to confirm this when they open on 1/2/13. Note the holes for the alignment pins. The bolts used to attach the legs were labeled due to a difference in depth of the mounting points. The pin that fastens the leg to the passanger side of the trans is difficult (I'm saying this nicely) to install. I had the car on a lift and had to push the tranny over and down a little to line up the pin with the leg. I found that is was much easier to align the pin with the hole in the transmission/leg by leaving it unattached to the shifter base. The driver side leg was easy to install.

Also note that you still receive the knob attachment for the stock shifter when you order the ball style knob and retrofit handle. This is nice if you want to switch shifter knobs.

Since it's snowing here, I didn't get to drive. However the throws feel much shorter and very precise! I'm looking forward to testing it out when the weather changes.

Name:  MGW Shifter Complete.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  123.1 KB
Jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Nice write up! let us know how it is when you get it out on a test drive!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Jmar

I called MGW today to verify that the front mounting arms ARE interchangeable. The DVD had them labeled left/right on their previous design and this is no longer required. Just make sure the longer bolt is used on the right side (passenger) as per the instructions.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Jmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Nice write up! let us know how it is when you get it out on a test drive!
Hi Mike,

I took it for a short drive today and I hear no noise coming from the cueball shifter. I took it up to 5k under light throttle to check for buzzing. The throw is very short and positive.

Jeff
Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
freefallin2005

Drives: 2017 rally yellow ss
i installed mine 2 days ago and also had the same issue with the legs, but the dowl pin only fit in 1 hole and same with the bolt so that answered my question. it does feel much better but now it will take some getting used to
freefallin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmar View Post
Hi Mike,

I took it for a short drive today and I hear no noise coming from the cueball shifter. I took it up to 5k under light throttle to check for buzzing. The throw is very short and positive.

Jeff
Thanks for the update!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Jmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin2005 View Post
i installed mine 2 days ago and also had the same issue with the legs, but the dowl pin only fit in 1 hole and same with the bolt so that answered my question. it does feel much better but now it will take some getting used to
It looks like there's about 1.5 inches of travel from 1st to 2nd at the max. My left foot is going to have to catch up to my right arm!

Now if I can only get the rear end to feel as precise as the shifter. . .
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
HP_atTheWheels

Drives: 06 Vette
Just ordered my MGW shifter..can't wait for it to get here. Went with retro handle and ordered custom knob from speed dawg. I'll definately be using this thread to help with install. Thanks for all the info.
HP_atTheWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
HP_atTheWheels

Just got mine from UPS, going on first thing in the morning!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_atTheWheels View Post
Just ordered my MGW shifter..can't wait for it to get here. Went with retro handle and ordered custom knob from speed dawg. I'll definately be using this thread to help with install. Thanks for all the info.
My Speed Dawg ball.

2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
HP_atTheWheels

Looks awesome yotaman96.. I went with the SpeedDawg, Ghost Series, Blue Pearl
Attached Images

Last edited by HP_atTheWheels; 02-02-2013 at 05:08 PM.