Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
NSANEBLK

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS -1969 Camaro L65
How "normal" are my car issues

I bought a 2011 2LT in July 2011 with 2,700 miles on it. It is for the most part my daily driver and has 52,000 on it now. I don't regret my decision to get the V6 and really love my car. I've had a '69 Camaro for 22 years and the plan was to keep this one just as long. However I'm feeling like every time I turn around there is some issue with this car and I'm beginning to rethink this. Since I got it under warranty I have had a power steering leak and an oil leak fixed and currently have the check engine light on for misfires. The dealer has said it is a gunked up throttle body and has provided a copy of the TSB about this being a possible cause of the misfires. This is not under warranty and I'm going down to look at the condition of the throttle body myself before I figure out what to do next. We have also had the sunroof not close a couple of times which has happened so infrequently I haven't pursued it. We also had a year long battle with another dealership to get the pass side seat fixed properly after the snap on the seat belt holder came out. I don't blame the car for that one but I know it is adding a lot to my current feeling.

If we trade this one in it would be for another 5th Gen and since I don't want a 2014 my window for a new/low mileage used one is closing. Financially I would most likely lose a little on the trade plus any mods that I can't take with me, not a huge amount but the cost to do them over again isn't insignificant either. So my question is how "normal" are the issues I've had? If these are just par for the course on the 5th Gens then it doesn't make sense to look at another one. Any thoughts, experiences, input is appreciated.
NSANEBLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Anecdotal, but that may be all that you get from posters. In any case, my experience: Bought my 1LT used 26 months ago at 13,000 miles... now have 63,000 miles, and I drive it very hard. I maintain it, and keep it looking like new, but drive it like it's meant to be driven, much of it on my daily commute through 20+ miles of winding mountain highway and thousands of feet elev. gain/ loss. With all that... haven't had so much as a misfire, a drop of leakage, or a headlight flicker. Knock on wood, but this one's a keeper... no matter how hard I try, I just can't break it.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
yea, its all going to vary. my SS has 60k on it now...never had a single issue like that.

every once and a while my TPMS will act up, but other than that, nothing.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
NSANEBLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Anecdotal, but that may be all that you get from posters.
That is perfect, kinda what I'm looking for. I can find threads all day long on these forums about problems people have had. I'm more curious how many people have had no trouble vs. those of us who have.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSANEBLK View Post
That is perfect, kinda what I'm looking for. I can find threads all day long on these forums about problems people have had. I'm more curious how many people have had no trouble vs. those of us who have.
Yeah, that's kind of the difficult part about analyzing anecdotal "evidence:" Those with issues/ problems have a greater tendency to post, because it is an "event," vs. people who are NOT experiencing an "event." Of course, the ocassional poster who is randomly filled with the need to spontaneously wax philosophical about NOT having problems will indeed post. But statistically speaking, it's impossible to accurately grade "how" normal a car's issues are by that yardstick. It would be very helpful to find some sort of data regarding what percentage of agiven model expriences this problem or that, or even what an average annual repair cost might be for said model... not sure if that sort of data is available to anybody other than security- clearance GM employees.

At this point, all that a logistician could conclude would be that SOME Camaros have SOME problems, and SOME Camaros have not (yet!) had problems.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
People generally do not come online and report a continuing condition of trouble-free car ownership.

The problems you are seeing on a 2011 model year car should not be "normal".
Old 01-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
NSANEBLK

Thanks everyone. This is why I posted. I wanted to hear from people that haven't had problems (so I know cars that don't exist) and other thoughts on if my issues are normal. I'd like to think at 52k miles mine are not but it is GM (sorry to say especially since I am and always have been a bowtie girl)

Headed to the dealership soon to check out my dirty throttle body. Fun and more fun.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
mine is a 2011 ss with 50,000kms on it and never had a single issue. and is my dd even in the winter. Good luck , i hope everyything gets fixed up
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I have not experienced any of the problems you listed. My car also has a sunroof; no problems with it. granted, I only have half the miles you have.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I have 38,000 on mine and have not had it to the garage for problems yet.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
I have 22,000 miles and I've had paint, interior, leather, electrical, just about everything EXCEPT mechanical. Every time I take it to the dealer it gets fixed under warranty and it's not a problem again. Personally, I'm not too worried.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
I have a 2011, bought new. After 3 and a half years and 31,000 miles, I have had several issues, including two AC blower motors (sounds like I will need a third one fairly soon), drivers side mirror glass fogged up, so replaced, trunk repainted due to paint chipping (needs doing again), coolant leak due to cross threaded hoses, brakes replaced, drivers seat pad replaced and finally the driveshaft replaced.

This car appears to have had the most problems of any car I have owned pretty much, yet I love it. I have had all of this replaced under warranty and my dealer has been amazing. I do have an extended GM warranty as well, so I am covered till it's paid off pretty much.

I love the Camaro, and while I have had several issues, it's not stopped me from wanting to own the car. When they are fixed, it feels like a new car again.

If you are concerned down the line, take out an extended warranty, be it GM or from another source for your piece of mind.
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
No issues at all with my 2011, has only 17k miles tho...
Old 01-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
No issues with my 2013 2LT RS...(26K+ miles)

I've put the mods on listed below and have had no problem what so ever...not even a check engine light.

Sorry to hear your having so many issues as this car is a blast to drive!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote