Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #127
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fad1 View Post
I saw the 370z in person at the L.A autoshow and to be honest, It is one fine car but I cant see myself driving one. I mean it seems too small, but the Camaro SS, ahhhh that is perfection.
Small is not the word, more like cramped like sardeens..
Old 11-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #128
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeknay2000 View Post
I completely agree - the styling of the new Z is amazing...if I could have two cars I'd def. buy a Z as well. I'm biased to the Camaro but Mustang really missed the mark. They tried to combine old with new and it didn't work, especially with only 300hp V8 model. I think Nissan really hit the mark, they're going to appeal to younger buyers, and the car looks perfect! 332bhp with about 3200lbs (about 500lbs lighter than camaro). Also, I looked up some 0-60 times for Nissan and came up with between 5.1 and 5.2 seconds (2008 350Z). Of course the 370Z will be 200lbs lighter than the 350Z and have 30 more hp. I'm guessing high 4's for 0-60 times...pretty close to the Camaro.

**Don't get me wrong - I think Nissan will be extremely close but the Camaro SS will beat it. When I said we'd be looking at the tailights, that's after the tuners start turbocharging it. Of course we can turbocharge our Camaros as well but the type of kids who want the 370Z are going to put more money modifying it than the actual cost of the car!

Personally I still beleive Mustang and Charger are more "competitors" than the Z. I think the #s of the Z and the Camaro SS are going to be really close and they're both amazing cars. However, the styling of the Mustang, Charger, and Camaro are all the same. Younger kids who dream to own a 1960s muscle car (which may not be practical) and older guys who've actually owned a 1960s muscle car and want to relive that expierience - are going to buy the Camaro SS. While I think the Z is closer to the Camaro than the Mustang or Charger, the styling is completely different. I dont think anyone will choose between a Nissan Z and a Camaro, they'll just have to figure out how they can get both.

Talking mod for mod, the outcome will not be good for the 370z. That is a very high strung engine, with very little potential left. Obviously a turbo z would be very fast but I don't see that engine lasting long with that kind of pressure on the engine, it is just not designed for it. Considering the minimal improvements that the 370z will get from standard bolt-ons, I don't think you will see many modified ones around, and they won't be much faster than stock. The Camaro, on the other hand, will be easy to mod at levels that each owner can afford, and those mods will make significant gains. Not to mention the aftermarket and the GM parts available for the Camaro are awesome, no comparison to the Nissan.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #129
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Talking mod for mod, the outcome will not be good for the 370z. That is a very high strung engine, with very little potential left. Obviously a turbo z would be very fast but I don't see that engine lasting long with that kind of pressure on the engine, it is just not designed for it. Considering the minimal improvements that the 370z will get from standard bolt-ons, I don't think you will see many modified ones around, and they won't be much faster than stock. The Camaro, on the other hand, will be easy to mod at levels that each owner can afford, and those mods will make significant gains. Not to mention the aftermarket and the GM parts available for the Camaro are awesome, no comparison to the Nissan.
The 350 has a 'high strung' engine as well... ever seen a turbo on one of those?
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #130
seeknay2000

Drives: 1978 Z28, 1987 Suburb
Quote:
Just curious - because it seems you know a lot more about engines then I do - with a good turbocharger, performance exhaust, some basic performance upgrades - what kind of hp do you think a camaro can get without pushing the car too hard? Ideally I would like around 650-700hp, but wihtout spending another $30-40K.
seeknay2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #131
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Just curious - because it seems you know a lot more about engines then I do - with a good turbocharger, performance exhaust, some basic performance upgrades - what kind of hp do you think a camaro can get without pushing the car too hard? Ideally I would like around 650-700hp, but wihtout spending another $30-40K.
you should be able get 700 to the wheel without spending 30k.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #132
rayhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
The 350 has a 'high strung' engine as well... ever seen a turbo on one of those?
And how long does it last? Not much of a street car out of that setup. Like I said, it is capable of big numbers but don't expect much life out of it.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #133
rayhawk

Quote:
Before you decide you need 700 hp, I think you should get the car and drive it. You may find that some more basic bolt ons are more than enough for you. Of course, if you want to spend a lot of money, you can do anything you want. Take a look at some of the combinations others have put together-and I recommend GM high tech performance magazine highly, they have some awesome builds in there. Anything done to an LS1 vehicle can certainly be done in similar fashion to the LS3. Also look at the vette, as it has the same motor.

I think most would agree that a supercharger would be a simpler option for awesome power from the LS3, but for me a few bolt-ons are more than enough, at the most a head/cam/intake upgrade would give some nice power.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #134
seeknay2000

Quote:
Before you decide you need 700 hp, I think you should get the car and drive it. You may find that some more basic bolt ons are more than enough for you. Of course, if you want to spend a lot of money, you can do anything you want. Take a look at some of the combinations others have put together-and I recommend GM high tech performance magazine highly, they have some awesome builds in there. Anything done to an LS1 vehicle can certainly be done in similar fashion to the LS3. Also look at the vette, as it has the same motor.

I think most would agree that a supercharger would be a simpler option for awesome power from the LS3, but for me a few bolt-ons are more than enough, at the most a head/cam/intake upgrade would give some nice power.

Thanks for the advice - I'm definetely going to wait 6 months until I do any modifications. I'm buying Camaro SS in end of September and by March I will definetely take it to the shop - but I need to get a feel for the car and get a job first! I can't wait!
seeknay2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #135
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
After some reading on the 370Z I disagree that one can be bought under 30k. Everything I have read says base will be 30k which as a Nissan owner I can make an educated guess that a decently equipped car will take at least 35k. I think when you look at size and type of car this is more of a competitor with the RX8 then the Camaro.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #136
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
After some reading on the 370Z I disagree that one can be bought under 30k. Everything I have read says base will be 30k which as a Nissan owner I can make an educated guess that a decently equipped car will take at least 35k. I think when you look at size and type of car this is more of a competitor with the RX8 then the Camaro.
Marketing-wise, yes the 370Z will be challenging the RX8 and even the BMW 135, but on the track...

Judging by the performance of the 350Z, the 370Z will be very competitive with the Camaro SS on a road course. A couple years ago in Car And Driver's Lightning Lap issue (Virginia International Raceway 4.2 mile road course), the 350Z had a lap time that beat many more expensive cars, such as BMW 135, Lexus IS F, Audi S5, and Honda S2000 CR, and was only 1 second slower than the Shelby GT500. Every car faster than the 350Z costs $42K or more. And the 370Z is lighter and more powerful, so I'm not positive that the Camaro SS would be able to beat it on a road course.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #137
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Ok. Answer me honestly. What are you going to do with 700hp? Do you even have experience with any car that powerful?

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #138
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Ok. Answer me honestly. What are you going to do with 700hp? Do you even have experience with any car that powerful?
If he doesn't, he will soon.

I'll bet his first pass will be wall@74.63.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 AM   #139
EVS Motors Inc.

Drives: '69 Camaro Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
Nissan Z-cars are like Supras: all the horsepower in the world and they're still only 12second cars... lol
I strongly disagree, probably just bad drivers in those Supras or street tires that can't hookup. They are probably the fastest street cars in the 1/4 mile that can run stock transmission, stock body and interior, stock rear end and suspension and turn 7s and 8s. Not to mention a stock bottom end on a Supra can withstand over 1,000HP.

I noticed you are from Austin, TX? You should know it is home of two stupid fast Supras. A auto that runs 7s and a stock 6speed tranny that runs 8.04 in the 1/4 mile.
EVS Motors Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #140
seeknay2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post

I want 700hp for the track - I want to improve on my track times. The most powerful car I´ve owned is my 95 Z28 w- 278hp. However I often drove my uncle´s 69 Camaro that had about 525hp - and taken it to the track several times. While I don´t have any experience with a 700hp car, I plan on driving my camaro for about 6 months with 422hp then adding a turbocharger and other upgrades...by then I´ll know my camaro. Obviously I´m not going to push it to the limits as soon as I get it, but I think testing it at the track will be a good way to get a feel for how it handles.