Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
martinezj454545

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS V6
Wheel Lugs coming Loose

Okay i just purchased some new 22" wheels for my car and when i went to tighten the lug nuts i couldnt get to them becouse the housing where the lugs go for the rims where to small to fit the wrench in so i had to tighten it with a 7/8 socket with a breaker bar. Well all was fine until 2 days went by and i noticed a sound coming from the rear tire and there it was a loose lug nut just rattling around the inside cover of the rim. so it made me check all the lug nuts and a couple where loose. but i made sure to tighten them real good so what else can i do to make sure this doesnt happen again?
martinezj454545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
did you torque them?
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
martinezj454545

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
did you torque them?
did not torque them but i tighten them really tight just like i tighten my original 18" factory wheels and those never came of or loose.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Are you using the factory lug nuts? If you are, they could be wrong for those rims. You have to check the bottom of the nut and see how it fits inside the rim without the wheel on. If it doesn't feel like it is fitting the taper in the rim properly, then that is probably your problem.

Acorn/Tapered Seat Style
Acorn, or tapered, seat lug nuts are characterized by a bottom area that tapers inward at a 60 to 90 degree angle. For acorn style lug nuts to seat properly it is important that the angle at the bottom of the lug nut correctly match the angle of the hole drilled in the wheel. Acorn seat style lug nuts can be found stock on some American- and Japanese-made vehicles and are also the style that most aftermarket wheels require for installation.

Mag Seat Style with Washer
Mag seat style lug nuts are cone shaped with a straight shank at the bottom. In addition to the lug nut itself, most mag seat style nuts require a washer to properly secure a wheel to a vehicle. The shank of a mag seat lug nut is normally 1/4 inch long, and the style is commonly used to assist in centering a wheel onto a vehicle's wheel studs.

Ball/Round Seat Style
Ball seat style lug nuts can be identified by a rounded edge at the bottom of the nut, as opposed to the straight angle taper of an acorn seat style. Rounded seat styles are commonly, although not exclusively, found on Honda or Acura vehicle wheels. Ball seat style lug nuts should never be used interchangeably with acorn/taper style or mag lug nuts because they will not seat properly and may cause unsafe driving conditions.

Check with Tire Rack. They may be able to tell you what style of lug nut you need to use with those wheels.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
jimbow

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro - RIP 10/3/2021
Use your darn socket with a torque wrench.
"Good and tight" won't cut it
jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbow View Post
Use your darn socket with a torque wrench.
"Good and tight" won't cut it
Yes at 140 foot pounds, that is pretty back breaking tight.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
well, with new wheels you do need to check the lug nuts a few hundred miles after the initial install.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
'Good and tight' has always been fine for me. Old wheels, new wheels, doesn't matter. The right lugs should not come lose.

I do know how tight they need to be. So maybe that's why I've been fine. I know what 140lbs feels like.

I agree with dragon 22. Good post.

Last edited by PQ; 05-31-2012 at 11:09 AM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
If the lugnuts are not the problem... it could be the wheel or the interface point.
If the rotor and wheel are not sufficiently flat, it will lead to loose lugnuts... if the wheel has a convex surface, it will contact the rotor nearest to the center of the hub... big problem.

It is important that the interface contact is clean as well. Make sure there is no dirt/rust or 'dings' on the surface.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Also get some splined lugs. They'll come with a thin wall 'key' socket.

Of course make sure they are a conical seat lug as are the stockers and most wheels for the Camaro.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
well, with new wheels you do need to check the lug nuts a few hundred miles after the initial install.
+1
All new rims need to be retorqued after a few miles, typically 20 is good,
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
martinezj454545

Thanks Everyone for their help and input. The problem was that i was still using the factory lug nuts with the after market rims. I took the wheels into Discount Tire and they said i needed to buy new lug nuts for aftermarket rims so i purchased some for 35 dollars and they did the install for free, they also said bring it in to get it re-torque after 50 mile but ill do 20 and hopefully they don't come loose before then. Thanks for all the help
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
'Good and tight' has always been fine for me. Old wheels, new wheels, doesn't matter. The right lugs should not come lose.

I do know how tight they need to be. So maybe that's why I've been fine. I know what 140lbs feels like.

I agree with dragon 22. Good post.
Thank you kind sir.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinezj454545 View Post
Thanks Everyone for their help and input. The problem was that i was still using the factory lug nuts with the after market rims. I took the wheels into Discount Tire and they said i needed to buy new lug nuts for aftermarket rims so i purchased some for 35 dollars and they did the install for free, they also said bring it in to get it re-torque after 50 mile but ill do 20 and hopefully they don't come loose before then. Thanks for all the help
Your thread is very valuable. There is more than one member of this forum that has had similar experiences, but not posted them. I hope everyone that plans to buy new wheels verify that the factory lug nuts will work or what style of lug nut they need to buy.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loose, lugs, rims, wheels