Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #15
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
A catch can does absolutely nothing for blow by.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #16
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Diet coke is correct. The crankcase oil mist caught in the catch can is predominately captured during deceleration when the vacuum is strongest.

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #17
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I recently took my throttle body off to clean it and I noticed that after I put it on and then took it off about 50 miles later I noticed there were very tiny specks of oil on the back of the blade. Any ideas where that could be coming from? I've got a catch can, and I emptied it before this took place. Could it be from the line that goes to the intake? The line thats circled is what I'm talking about, on the stock intake its a hard line and attaches to a piece coming off of the valve cover.
Oil also is taken in through the hose attached to the intake elbow from the clean side. Also to let you know , with a catch can on my exhaust tips are clean, with out the catch can they have gotten as black as charcoal. Also honestly don't bother about the little oil on your throttle body just don't keep oil in your engine for freaking 7000 miles.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #18
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
Diet coke is correct. The crankcase oil mist caught in the catch can is predominately captured during deceleration when the vacuum is strongest.
I'm scratching my head at this one buddy. Also has anyone on here ever tried putting 91% alcohol in their catch can. I did and the result gives me the impression that this is compared to using meth with force induction. Car runs much, much more crisp and accelerates more efficiently. Results also differ between the NGK Tr6 and TR6ix plugs.

Last edited by L99CAMA2011; 12-25-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #19
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
Don't forget times when the blades just closed on deceleration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
Maybe you should get a catch can that has a 50micron filter built into it

Nice catch can
I'll check that one out and I forgot that the blade closes when deaccelerating, good point and that's probably how it landed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Oil also is taken in through the hose attached to the intake elbow from the clean side. Also to let you know , with a catch can on my exhaust tips are clean, with out the catch can they have gotten as black as charcoal. Also honestly don't bother about the little oil on your throttle body just don't keep oil in your engine for freaking 7000 miles.
Yeah no I go to 4-5k miles and 5k is pushing it for me. The exhaust tips stay clean for a week or two and eventually get nasty from the condensation after driving the car.

Now I'm also curious about the catch can efficiency bit.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #20
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
I'll check that one out and I forgot that the blade closes when deaccelerating, good point and that's probably how it landed there.

Yeah no I go to 4-5k miles and 5k is pushing it for me. The exhaust tips stay clean for a week or two and eventually get nasty from the condensation after driving the car.

Now I'm also curious about the catch can efficiency bit.
From my years of using catch cans on different cars I see that they will decrease the amount of oil that goes into the intake but not totally. I see the throttle blade thing as being correct. Remember there is a ton of oil that is caught by the catch can and it is still helpful. And oh, let me be the guinea pig for the alcohol in the catch can experiment that is freaking working and puts smiles on my face. Car runs way much cleaner with 91% alcohol in the catch can and also improves throttle response big time.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #21
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
From my years of using catch cans on different cars I see that they will decrease the amount of oil that goes into the intake but not totally. I see the throttle blade thing as being correct. Remember there is a ton of oil that is caught by the catch can and it is still helpful. And oh, let me be the guinea pig for the alcohol in the catch can experiment that is freaking working and puts smiles on my face. Car runs way much cleaner with 91% alcohol in the catch can and also improves throttle response big time.
Alcohol in the catch can? To help dissolve it or to dilute it?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 12-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #22
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Alcohol in the catch can? To help dissolve it or to dilute it?
Sounds like point of alcohol is that the alcohol vapors are being taken into the engine under vacuum, and adding power during combustion. It doesn't seem like the alcohol is put into the catch can for cleaning or diluting purposes, just power.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #23
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel2015 View Post
Sounds like point of alcohol is that the alcohol vapors are being taken into the engine under vacuum, and adding power during combustion. It doesn't seem like the alcohol is put into the catch can for cleaning or diluting purposes, just power.
You are very very very correct. It is not for cleaning but what is said here. It does vaporize too fast though. A friend of mine told me he substitutes windshield washer fluid for Meth in turbo cars if the owner runs out of meth. I am not to keen on that one. I was thinking of adding a bit of distilled water to the Alcohol to keep it a bit longer. Oh and alcohol would be a bad idea for cleaning catch cans since it doesn't remove the oily film at all. This is actually how I came up with this experiment. I realized that when I put the alcohol into the can to help remove the oil left in the bottom, it did nothing but made my car run better. The oil still remained untouched in the bottom of the can after the alcohol vaporized.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #24
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Quote:
You are very very very correct. It is not for cleaning but what is said here. It does vaporize too fast though. A friend of mine told me he substitutes windshield washer fluid for Meth in turbo cars if the owner runs out of meth. I am not to keen on that one. I was thinking of adding a bit of distilled water to the Alcohol to keep it a bit longer. Oh and alcohol would be a bad idea for cleaning catch cans since it doesn't remove the oily film at all. This is actually how I came up with this experiment. I realized that when I put the alcohol into the can to help remove the oil left in the bottom, it did nothing but made my car run better. The oil still remained untouched in the bottom of the can after the alcohol vaporized.
That's interesting! Never thought about that one lol

Has anyone on here converted their catch can into a breather can? Found a thread of a Corvette forum where people were talking about it and doing that with their catch cans
Old 12-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #25
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
...Car runs way much cleaner with 91% alcohol in the catch can and also improves throttle response big time.
Are you 100% sure about this???

Most interesting discovery I've read on here in quite a while, but I'd like to hear more feedback on this.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #26
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Are you 100% sure about this???

Most interesting discovery I've read on here in quite a while, but I'd like to hear more feedback on this.
This does concern me a little bit, though. As you use alcohol in the catch can, and it evaporates, it seems to me that it's possible that it'll re-aerosolize trapped contaminants and reintroduce them into the intake. I'd also think you'd want to monitor your temperatures and AFR, but this is all theory.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #27
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
This does concern me a little bit, though. As you use alcohol in the catch can, and it evaporates, it seems to me that it's possible that it'll re-aerosolize trapped contaminants and reintroduce them into the intake. I'd also think you'd want to monitor your temperatures and AFR, but this is all theory.
Concerns me too.

We_need_more_ guinea pigs.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #28
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Concerns me too.

We_need_more_ guinea pigs.
Hell, I monitor all my sensor readings in real time, maybe I'll give it a go one day.