Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
D-Unit

Drives: Camaro SS, Acura RSX
FBODFATHER-How does GM feel about the ZL1 nameplate? will we ever see a modern ZL1?

FBODFATHER - How does GM feel about the ZL1 nameplate?
Do u think we will ever see a modern ZL1 Camaro or ZL1 vehicle in the near future?

Does GM still own the nameplate? How does GM value the ZL1 nameplate compared to the Z28 nameplate

Thanks! I understand you can't tell us everything but anything helps
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
ChevyMSU35

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3 Red Rock Metallic
I think this might help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
It was a misquote.

Let me make a few comments:

We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.

We don't talk about future products -- but what makes you think we haven't been doing work on something?????

I can't say more than that......other than:

"KEEP THE FAITH" --

I can't lie to you guys -- because if I do, I will have zero credibility......and I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon -- you're stuck with my ugly mug.
ChevyMSU35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
FBODFATHER - How does GM feel about the ZL1 nameplate?
Do u think we will ever see a modern ZL1 Camaro or ZL1 vehicle in the near future?

Does GM still own the nameplate? How does GM value the ZL1 nameplate compared to the Z28 nameplate

Thanks! I understand you can't tell us everything but anything helps
That's really a good question! I'd like to know the answer too. Considering there were only a handful (69) of 69 Camaros with that motor I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. But isn't it a cool coincidence they can get 427 C.I. out of their modern LS* block.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
That's really a good question! I'd like to know the answer too. Considering there were only a handful (69) of 69 Camaros with that motor I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. But isn't it a cool coincidence they can get 427 C.I. out of their modern LS* block.
Yes it is very cool and would be an awesome powerplant for the Camaro. It is too bad that the engine will be discontinued before the car even goes into production.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
jmliptak

Drives: D
Not unless they stopped building the Z06 for 2009, which as far as I know they have not. The LS7 ( a 427 ci small block) is also available now as a crate motor. They are building the ZR1 with the LS9, but it is not replacing the Z06...They both remain available....I have not heard anything about Chevy putting one in a Camaro but I would guess some tuner will, probably at a very high price.

"The 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 marks the return of an ultra-high-performance model to this American sports car icon. The rest of the 2009 Corvette lineup is largely unchanged. ZR1 represents a revival of a moniker that graced super-performance Corvettes from 1990-1995. The 2009 version has a supercharged 638-hp 6.2-liter V8 engine. It teams with a 6-speed manual transmission. ZR1 also differs from other Corvettes by its unique suspension tuning and use of lightweight carbon fiber on the hood, roof panel, roof bow, front fascia splitter, and rocker moldings. As for the rest of the Corvette lineup, base models are available as a coupe or convertible. Convertibles have a soft top that folds with manual or power operation, depending on model or option selection. All base Corvettes have a 430-hp 6.2-liter V8 engine. An optional "dual-mode" exhaust system increases horsepower to 436. They're available with a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission. The high-performance Corvette Z06 is available as a coupe only and comes with a 505-hp 7.0-liter V8 and mandatory 6-speed manual transmission. Z06 models also have specific suspension tuning, tires, and brakes"

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...t-corvette.htm
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
I sure hope they are correct, I want to see a New Camaro with a 427 in it.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I am interested to hear what he doesn't say. I doubt he will say anything to substantial. I would love to see an LS7 (or other 427 cu engine) in a Camaro
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
jmliptak

I am sure someone like Mallett or Lingenfelter or SLP will do it, an LS7 in a Camaro would be very cool...GMPP did one, I remember seeing pics of it on this board next to one of the concepts or IVERs at one of the shows....
Old 07-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
I am sure someone like Mallett or Lingenfelter or SLP will do it, an LS7 in a Camaro would be very cool...GMPP did one, I remember seeing pics of it on this board next to one of the concepts or IVERs at one of the shows....
I don't think I ever saw that, can you find it?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
jmliptak

Sorry if I confused you, it was a 4th gen with a 427.....Wasn't explicit....Let me see if I can find the thread with the pics.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4734
Old 07-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
Sorry if I confused you, it was a 4th gen with a 427.....Wasn't explicit....Let me see if I can find the thread with the pics.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4734
4th gen 427 is cool too. The photos didn't load I'll try later. I'll be surprised if Lingenfelter doesn't do a 427 5th gen.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
jmliptak

If Mallett offers a 427 in Sky/Solstice (its on the option list, don't know if they have built one yet), I think it is just a question of time for SOMEONE to put one in a 5th gen...Mallett also does a 750 hp package on the LS7....
Old 07-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
Krieger

Drives: American Cars
Why settle for the LS7 when you can have the real thing:

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...FSEragodPWO6RQ

Old 07-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
jmliptak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
Why settle for the LS7 when you can have the real thing:

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...FSEragodPWO6RQ

Much mo better, the only question would can be can it fit in a nice way, since its a big block....The LS7 is a small block....Hate to have to hack away to get it in, but I don't doubt someone will do it....