Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
does anyone know if there is gonna be T-Top or not?????

Jst wondering if there has been any kind of wold from GM about T-Tops??????
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
GM hasn't officially made an announcement to say "Sorry but there are no t-tops" but we pretty much know there won't be. Sad to hear and I really wish there was going to be.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'm pretty sure Scott said no T-tops this go around. It was in that post where he was talking about the targa top as well...when he tried removing the top from a vette and it broke the windshield? ...well, that was one of the reasons the 5th Gen wouldn't be getting a targa top...since the peice would be too heavy and folks not as tall as others might have a difficult time taking the top off.

Nope...no t-tops.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
One member, I forgot who, kept saying they couldn't do T-tops because of safety regulations, especially the need for side curtain airbags. But, since the Solstice Coupe with a targa roof was just announced, I think we can assume it is possible for GM to put T-tops on a new car. The question now is just a matter of body flex, leaking, and actual demand for such a feature. I wouldn't completely rule it out for future redesigns.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
One member, I forgot who, kept saying they couldn't do T-tops because of safety regulations, especially the need for side curtain airbags. But, since the Solstice Coupe with a targa roof was just announced, I think we can assume it is possible for GM to put T-tops on a new car. The question now is just a matter of body flex, leaking, and actual demand for such a feature. I wouldn't completely rule it out for future redesigns.
To answer the original question. NO, and thank god.

stovt001, safety regs change per vehicle weight, class ect. The camaro and its class safety regs pretty much damn any future t-tops. As for targa.. you'd have to be over 7ft tall to even be able to get the roof off of a 2+2 coupe or have a 2nd person help you. People already complain about the corvette targa being to much of a pita to get on and off... and it is shorter and thinner than the camaro. It just isn't gong to happen. Pretty much from now on its going to be hard top or vert.

For a company to make t-tops nowadays in the 2+2 coupe market they would have to engineer something exotic, and then you'd pay out the nose for it.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
To answer the original question. NO, and thank god.

stovt001, safety regs change per vehicle weight, class ect. The camaro and its class safety regs pretty much damn any future t-tops. As for targa.. you'd have to be over 7ft tall to even be able to get the roof off of a 2+2 coupe or have a 2nd person help you. People already complain about the corvette targa being to much of a pita to get on and off... and it is shorter and thinner than the camaro. It just isn't gong to happen. Pretty much from now on its going to be hard top or vert.

For a company to make t-tops nowadays in the 2+2 coupe market they would have to engineer something exotic, and then you'd pay out the nose for it.
what was wrong with the T-Tops? since they can't do them though or the targa i hope they do both a hard top convertible and a soft top convertible. i love having the sunroof open/top off but i also like the look of the hard top more than a soft top. they have done hard tops before and currently have a G6 hard top convertible. so give me a damn hard top convertible
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
kinyu

Drives: POS
I LOVED the T-Tops on my 4th gens. However, they had body styles that made T-Tops look good. IMHO, T-Tops would not be complimentary to this body style / size.
kinyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I agree with kinyu. I'm trying to visualize how they would look, but I just can't see it on this car. I could imagine, with as wide as this car's roof appears to be, it would not be easy to remove and stow away. It would be nice, but I'd be happy with a sunroof. I probably won't end up with one, so as to save money on some other options, however, at least it won't feel claustrophobic, like the last gen. did, IMHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I have no problem with T-tops from a style aspect. But when it comes to a question of which I'd rather have, t's or curtain airbags, I go for the airbags every time. This isn't going to be a limited segment, niche vehicle. GM plans on 100k/year sales. For that scale of sales, you need cars that perform to top safety ratings. To be honest, I'd have to seriously think twice about buying one if it DIDN'T come with side and curtain airbags (the main reason I passed on the GTO).

A moonroof is perfect for this car, anyway.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
kinyu

Drives: POS
I'm sure someone has photochopped a pic of the 5th gen with T-tops, I just haven't seen it yet.
kinyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
There's several in the photoshop request thread. Browse through there and I'm sure you'll find quite a few angles/versions.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Here ya go.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=796
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
i think i need to go change my pants... i love the way that looks!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!! *faint*

and just to stop the questions about the whole "side curtain airbags" thing i haven't ever been in a car with them and i've always felt safe. the way this pic is done keeps the B pillar intact so as to keep the rigidity up in the car while giving you the sweet enjoyment of T-Tops
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote