Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Love every picture I see of the Z/28. Beautiful car you have there! I haven't been lucky enough to drive one but in your opinion can the Z/28 be a DD? A lot of uninformed people say no but I want to hear it from an owner.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #16
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
...It's a horrible street car, IMHO.
It all depends on the street...
Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #17
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
If the head engineer went and paid for one, and he drives it as his DD in some of the worst Street in the USA, then i think its fine for a DD, my 2010 with over 86K on it, drives harder then the NEW Z/28.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
Love every picture I see of the Z/28. Beautiful car you have there! I haven't been lucky enough to drive one but in your opinion can the Z/28 be a DD? A lot of uninformed people say no but I want to hear it from an owner.
Me too! Thanks! It all depends on you, and your roads. I would not, and don't, hesitate to drive mine as long as I don't need to haul anything (except ass ). I look for excuses to take the Z instead of the truck (RAM) every chance I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
It all depends on the street...
Correct. And the driver. I love the hardcore experience. Love it. But would not want to do more than 10-20 minutes on rutted streets. Also, 18-wheeler tire ruts in the lanes on highways at 80 mph make for a challenging experience, and if you don't pay 100% attention it feels like you will get slung off the road.

Thankfully most roads around here are ok and I drove it three hours to the track a few weeks ago and my wife and I arrived none the worse for the wear and feeling fine. It's a great toy for mountain roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
If the head engineer went and paid for one, and he drives it as his DD in some of the worst Street in the USA, then i think its fine for a DD, my 2010 with over 86K on it, drives harder then the NEW Z/28.
Putting money where mouth is, that's the ultimate testament isn't it? First time I ever saw that happen. Money talks and BS walks...

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #19
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Not being Zfat, I think the car could handle another 50-75 horsepower without much of an issue. However, my plan is to focus on learning the car and building my skills to match, before adding power to the mix...
I was gonna pose this question to you too, brt3. You and Z were first I thought of. And yes, learning this car will be the first thing I would want to do before doing anything. I wonder if the owners that had Davenport and Redline mod their cars are gonna track it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
I feel no need to change anything. And all dyno reports so far document the car to be very underrated in regards to published hp/tq. It's plenty hard already to find a place to open it up and air it out in 1st through 3rd without being a menace to others around me

No idea how much more it can handle because it's hard for me to handle what's there now.

It was mighty fine to run errands with it today on the highways and local city streets. As a entrepreneur working 24/7 it's my thirty-minute Mental Margarita when I need one. No other car I'd rather have.
This might make my decision easier if and when (more like when) I ever decide to buy one. I was having trouble choosing between the 1LE, ZL1 or Z/28.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #20
notmidlife

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
That is just a sweet ride ! Glad you're enjoying it .
notmidlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
dd?...how about hourly driver or all the time driver or drive for meaningless excuses to go somewhere..driving this car makes me very happy...simple.

For me no mods are worth anything now...when I watched someone really fast take her out and punish I can see the potential...for me it will be traqmate data and overlays that will allow me to mod myself.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
Hecks

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Z/28
Me too.

You captured my sentiments Zfatuated. I love this car too. I also have had multiple cars costing 2-3 times as much as this car and I have learned a great deal about sports cars from the experience. I don't know what is a good dd for other people or what they consider good for the street but for me this car is outstanding anytime and anywhere I drive it. Of course inclement weather like rain is not included in my assessment. I am fortunate to live close to some of the greatest roads in the world like Highway 2 that snakes its way through the Angeles National Forrest or Mulholland Highway that needs no introduction for most folks. This car is absolutely magnificent in these environments. And, I too take it out for an hour or so on surface streets and freeways when I want to clear my head and don't have time for a longer run. My girl always provides major entertainment, with her stellar attributes, regardless of where we venture.
Hecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #23
joeyrotorhead

Drives: 1968 RS/Custom & 2014 Z28
now i am bias, but i honestly can't find a bad angle on the car, no matter where i look at it. its a hands down blast to drive, love looking at it before and after driving and just looks mean!

to sum it up in my eyes, the Z has managed to capture that true car enthusiasts essence we all look for in a car... not sure how to describe it but we all know it when we see it!
joeyrotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #24
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Great car. Just saw one here locally. Sent the wife a photo and asked if there was room for a 3rd Camaro, too which she replied...."let me think about it.....uh..no"...so congrats on a great car!!!

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #25
Zfatuated

Another week of rough-riding, rip-snorting, eye-pleasing joy. What a car

Thank you Chevrolet!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #26
Zfatuated

2200 miles, not one problem, hours of joy. Wow.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #27
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
@4100 miles observations

a water bottle and/or sunscreen lotion bottle was under passenger seat and when the seat was moved it must have gotten wedged and ripped the wires out of the connector and caused a check airbag light...fixed under warranty.

philips x-treme vision low beam bulbs make a big difference.

yesterday a group of hasidic kids came out of nowhere at a restaurant and were taking pictures all around the car.

got huge thumbs up from a challenger driver...I guess that offsets the finger from the last one.

yes the "hype" goes on...
Old 08-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #28
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Congrats man, im sure its a blast to own.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote