Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
danrc28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Black on Black
Problems with Driveshaft after Coil-overs install..PLEASE HELP!!

So i just got my V6 camaro out of the garage and finally got to the shop where my coilovers were to be installed. After the install I drove off and everything seemed fine until I really hit the throttle on first gear. This is when I heard a HUGE vibration in the driveshaft area, pretty scary actually.

At first I thought it was the exhaust clips hitting the pavement from how low the car was, but I checked and it definitely wasn't that. I decided to lay off the throttle for a bit as I wasn't sure what the issue was, but the issue only got worse. Eventually, I would get the same horrible vibration and noise when under moderate throttle in second gear, always at the same point in time too, passing the 3000 RPM area. I figured at this point in time is when the torque starts to kick in and the car's rear end tends to dip down a bit, maybe causing some moving part to rub against another.

After several hours of diagnostics, the mechanic figured out that the vibration was coming from the driveshaft. He said he had to remove a heat shield to get to it and that one of the bolts in the driveshaft were missing. He said that it must have cracked under pressure and as a result something was loose and would cause this vibration when any pressure was placed on the driveshaft. He replaced the bolt and put the rear stock suspension on (while keeping the aftermarket ones in the front) and the vibration is gone!! THANK GOD!!

Now, at this point what I need to figure out is whether this is an issue that was caused by the coilovers. According to the mechanic, the coilovers changed the angle of the driveshaft or something and put more pressure on it when under throttle. I dont know much about this soo im not sure how possible this is. Has anyone heard of this happening?

If the issue turns out to not be related to the coilovers then I may just get them replaced (just to be sure), and reinstalled...maybe they were faulty?? And hope that the whole cracked bolt issue was something that happened because of something else....however, I do remember that when the car was raised, one of the rear tires tended to sag about almost 1 inch lower then the others with these coilovers, maybe one of the coilovers where faulty and they caused some sort of imbalance which caused this???? I do recall the guys at alignment complaining that every time they aligned the car, and test drove it and checked it again, it would always shift out of alignment somehow.

The coilovers were purchased from someone who said they did not install it on their camaro....not too sure about that right now.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
The 5th gen Camaro has a fixed diff location. Lowering it has zero affect on pinion angle. Have you had the driveshaft off in the past for any reason?
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Fishdadddy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ; 1970 Firebird Formula
I seem to recall a thread from months ago about breaking driveshaft bolts. Do a search.

Should not be related to the coilovers.
Fishdadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
danrc28

no, I havent touched the driveshaft at all! This is the first mod ive really done after my CAI. I just find it so weird how this issue just happened right after the suspension was installed, im talking like minutes after I took it out of the garage I heard this noise, and it only got worse.

Could the driveshaft be affected in anyway from an improper install of the suspension? The rear was lowered almost 1.5" btw.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Robert91RS

The d/s bolts are one time use and a few people have busted them behind V8s. I don't think there's any reason the shop would have needed to remove the shaft but then again they think your pinion angle changed so.......you never know.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
danrc28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdadddy View Post
I seem to recall a thread from months ago about breaking driveshaft bolts. Do a search.

I do recall that I did notice a bit of a stronger vibration on the stick shift under certain rpms usually higher rpms. I actually noticed this on the way to the shop. Since it has been a while (4 months) since I have driven the car, I figured it was normal and I was just over reacting..could this be related to the issue?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
danrc28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
The d/s bolts are one time use and a few people have busted them behind V8s. I don't think there's any reason the shop would have needed to remove the shaft but then again they think your pinion angle changed so.......you never know.
according to the mechanic, the drive shaft was never touched.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Robert91RS

Maybe just defective bolts or improper torquing at the factory then.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
danrc28

Quote:
Maybe just defective bolts or improper torquing at the factory then.

the mechanic mentioned he replaced the bolt, do you think that should be ok, or are there special bolts that go in here that maybe the dealer is better off fixing?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Robert91RS

I would at least replace it with the proper part.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
danrc28

Quote:
I would at least replace it with the proper part.
perfect! will do!! thanks to everyone for all the help!! At this point Im just worried about the dealer trying to void my warranty because I put a temporary bolt in the driveshaft until I got it to them.......maybe I should take the bolt out and plead ignorance.....lol anyways, thanks again, you guys are always very helpful!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
danrc28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdadddy View Post

Quote:
Hey guys, the only thing thats worrying me here is that LTDODGE was having the exact same issue after installing his drop kit (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...haft+vibration) . And the dealership said that it was because lowering the ride changed the axle angle, so they wouldnt fix it under warranty.

For some reason Im not convinced that these coilovers are not in some way to blame for that broken/missing bolt. Unless its pure coincidence....?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
The Cv would have to real bad for the ride height to make the axle vibrate, i really don't believe it would be an issue. the axles are true CV's so angle should not affect them.
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
my car still vibrates.... dealers dont want to touch my car and i have not found anyone local that can help me. i looked under and all the bolts are there.

my stick also vibrated and created a weird frequency in 5th gear at 55 mph with light throttle, when i let off the throttle is doesnt make the noise. i have changed the shifter from stock to hurst to stock to barton and still does it all the time. i even placed a bunch of dynomat on the stick and tranny connection and still noise.

my problems started after camarofest last year after runnin down the track and i got some nasty wheel hop and burned clutch on my last pass. the car was stock with the excption of LT headers. wish i never ran down the track...

oh well just waiting for something to break. i changed the trailing arms to BMR and still does it but more a little more pronunced than before. gotten used to it, just part of 545 rwhp i guess.