Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Need Advice (accident, legal)

Hey yo,

Some of you may remember that I was in a serious hit-and-run accident last weekend.

This was the thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296325

Unfortunately, I have a lot more stress from this incident than just trying to get my car fixed.

When I met with the police, they asked if I could identify the driver from a picture line up. I had only seen him for a split second, so I wasn't confident. But low and behold, I actually was able to point him out.

After that, the officer gave me the "motorist incident" report form. Not sure of people's experience with this form, and I know if varies from state to state, but...

I am looking at the form: It has my personal information (address, phone, license ID, etc.) and it has the driver of the other vehicle's information - a man facing felony charges. I almost had a heart attack.

So, a man facing criminal, felony charges gets a copy of a document with my name and address and personal information?

The police are asking me if I am willing to testify, since I am the only one who was able to ID the driver. However, since this is a standard accident form, they can't do anything to protect my information.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How the hell can I feel comfortable knowing that a felon has my address information.

I told the police to have the state's attorney contact me directly so I can better understand the process. Right now, I know the driver is back in jail, as he violated his parole. He won't be there forever though.

I can't even begin to express how stressed I have been this week. This sucks. I don't want to spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your opinions.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
No worries, the suspect has a legal right to know who his accusers are. The suspect and his attorney are entitled to "discovery" before the trial so they will know all about you regardless.
In any event, this began as a collision, an unintentional act. This is not murder, robbery, drug dealing, gang related or an assault. The chances the suspect will retaliate against you in this situation is very remote.
Fill out the forms and relax. Do your civic duty and put this guy behind bars.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Id say use youre God given right and start carrying , but then I see youre in Chicago and we all know they have the lowest crime rate in the country so no need. Maybe seek some legal council on youre end to help ease youre mind.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
No worries, the suspect has a legal right to know who his accusers are. The suspect and his attorney are entitled to "discovery" before the trial so they will know all about you regardless.
In any event, this began as a collision, an unintentional act. This is not murder, robbery, drug dealing, gang related or an assault. The chances the suspect will retaliate against you in this situation is very remote.
Fill out the forms and relax. Do your civic duty and put this guy behind bars.
This.

and - technically, he's not a felon yet.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
This.

and - technically, he's not a felon yet.

Well, he actually is. He violated his parole (which is one of the reasons he hit and run, I'm assuming) so he is now back in the slammer, hopefully serving his entire original sentence.

If this was just some guy running because he had no insurance, I would not be as stressed. But, and I quote the police, "this isn't the guy's first rodeo." That uncertainty regarding his history is what makes me nervous.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Are you able to look him up, to see why he was in prison to begin with?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Are you able to look him up, to see why he was in prison to begin with?
I have tried. But he has fairly common name that makes simple google searching difficult. I would have to make a more formal request for the information, which I don't think I want to dive into.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Well, he actually is. He violated his parole (which is one of the reasons he hit and run, I'm assuming) so he is now back in the slammer, hopefully serving his entire original sentence.

If this was just some guy running because he had no insurance, I would not be as stressed. But, and I quote the police, "this isn't the guy's first rodeo." That uncertainty regarding his history is what makes me nervous.
Ah gotcha - have you explained your concerns to the police? Don't know if they can, but you could ask to see if they could black sharpie out your address. Of course having your full name makes getting your address only a google search away.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Its unfortunate but its true he will have your info. Hopefully he doesn't hold it against you for his mess up. Good luck and if you need some back up ill be more than happy to help you. I've dealt with **** ups like this before.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Ah gotcha - have you explained your concerns to the police? Don't know if they can, but you could ask to see if they could black sharpie out your address. Of course having your full name makes getting your address only a google search away.

Yes, I definitely told the police my concerns when I first spoke to them. He said he would "look into it". However, he came back and said there was nothing he could do.

I even proposed to re-do the form and list my work address or something. He said the form could not be changed.

I was pretty dissappointed. The only saving grace is that he spelled my name wrong on the report. So if I ever move, I at least have that going for me.

I was hoping my information could be redacted like you said, but I get the feeling I need to go the lawyer route to take care of that. I don't really want to pay more money, since I have to eat my deductible, but if a lawyer can get the information redacted it would be worth it.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I wouldn't worry about anything...the guy hit your car, you were able to ID him, not like you're being a rat on him for some other bs...go to court, testify as to the truth...and call it a day. You might actually help to save some innocent victim from the guys bs in the future...

P.S. I never thought you'd be such a pu$$y....lol...j/k!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
P.S. I never thought you'd be such a pu$$y....lol...j/k!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Ha! I deserve that

Everyone at the gym is like, "you're a fighter, wtf do you care?"

Well, I'll fight any man on this planet, but you can't fight a gun. That's my only fear.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 05-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
It's unfortunately his right to know who you are. My advice? Start carrying if you aren't already.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
It's unfortunately his right to know who you are. My advice? Start carrying if you aren't already.

He's in Chicago LOL. He's got the same corrupt people as we do that limit our abilities to carry. But yeah thats what I'd do if I could.