Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Catch Can installation question.

I have a 2011 V6 LS with a STS Turbo and a Trifecta tune. I also have a Saikou Michi oil seperator can and a breather catch can (see attached photos). I recently reached out to a speed shop tuner in Florida who has alot of FI V6 experience.

He stated that my installation of the oil seperator and breather can is incorrect. From anyone here on the forum that has professional experience/background, are they installed correctly?? Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by elsololobo02; 12-07-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: pics are too big
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
I have an idea but first I can't see exactly where everything is hooked up from the pics. Whats connected to the pass side and driver side valve covers? I know on that type of catch can the top is the inlet and the bottom is the outlet. So If your car was stock you would route the inlet on top of the catch to the pass side valve cover and the bottom outlet would go to the barb in the center of the intake manifold. The breather can would connect to the drivers side valve cover and you would plug the hole in the stock intake. How does sts handle the pcv system?
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT

Last edited by Pt_killa; 12-07-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
elsololobo02

Pt_killa,

Thank you for your reply. I have attached some photos which hopefully will show you exactly how my PCV is setup. Let me know what you think. My knowledge of engines is very basic and I have a gut feeling that the oil seperator and breather can were installed incorrectly or may just need to be uninstalled all together.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Pt_killa

Nice pics, What was connected to the drivers side valve cover before you installed the breather? Was it just routed directly to the intake manifold? Do you have any driveablility issues or oil leaks or hear a whistling sound coming from the engine?
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
elsololobo02

Pt,

Before the turbo was installed I had a K&N CAI before I had the turbo. The DRIVERS side valve cover was connected to the tubing of the CAI just before the MAF sensor. Just like the stock configuration...

Now that I have the turbo, the DRIVERS side valve cover is connected with 3/8" tubing to the STS switch valve. From the switch valve there is an outlet that is connected to the tubing of the intake in line with the MAF sensor (The color photo with the switch assembly shows it best).

There is no whistling comming from the engine and there is very little oil anywhere. Hope this gives you a better decription of the install. Any thoughts??
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsololobo02 View Post
Pt,

Before the turbo was installed I had a K&N CAI before I had the turbo. The DRIVERS side valve cover was connected to the tubing of the CAI just before the MAF sensor. Just like the stock configuration...

Now that I have the turbo, the DRIVERS side valve cover is connected with 3/8" tubing to the STS switch valve. From the switch valve there is an outlet that is connected to the tubing of the intake in line with the MAF sensor (The color photo with the switch assembly shows it best).

There is no whistling comming from the engine and there is very little oil anywhere. Hope this gives you a better decription of the install. Any thoughts??
I'm sorry not drivers side, thats the fresh air bridge, I meant what was on the passenger side valve cover when you first put the sts on?

I'm not sure what that switch valve is, it looks like there is a hobb's switch connected to the switch valve, is that for the oil pump alert and to change pump power based on load?? There must be a check valve in the switch to prevent boost from entering the crankcase. The Pass side (or dirty side) needs to be under vacuum and it doesnt look like it is right now, not good for long term when boosted. Instead of a breather on the pass side you should run another catch can inline to the manifold. Whenever you can get extra hose you should run a line back to the turbo inlet and run a dual catch can so you can have vacuum on and off of boost. So I think you can keep you original catch can where it is but remove the breather and replace with another catch can.

There are other things that should be done too, and also to confirm what I said above, send pm to expert SC2150, he should be able to steer you in the right direciton!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
elsololobo02

Pt,

On the passenger side when I had the STS kit installed is the breather can that vents to atmosphere (reference the first color pic in this thread).

Yep the hobbs switch is for the oil pump alert alarm and to change the power to the pump.

There is a small brass check valve the is intalled in line to the breather can (Passenger side). It's actually in the hose so you can't see it.

I agree that the passenger side in not under vaccum with my current set up because it vents to atmosphere from the breather can. I have contacted SC2150 and he said the same thing, that I need to run a hose to the turbo inlet. (not sure where the hose is supposed to start and not sure when it goes to on the turbo inlet).

SC2150 has been very helpful and I wanted to get a second opinion before I drive all the way to Florida. I had read through some other forums that SC2150 and his partners business has split and his company in not with the registered with the BBB. I always like to check before I have anyone do any work on my car.

I will be doing some work to the car today and will post a pic of what I have done to see if this jives with what you and SC2150 has said. Thanks again for helping me out with this, I do really appreciate it!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Pt_killa

Quote:
There is a small brass check valve the is intalled in line to the breather can (Passenger side). It's actually in the hose so you can't see it.
Thats not good, you have to remove that check valve as soon as possible, If that hose and check valve came with the breather assembly, i think those checkvalves are designed to let fresh air in the system not that much out. But if it is a regular ball spring of flap style checkvalve it will be even worse, if there is no vacuum then the check valve won't be able to fully open and there will be no way to evac all of the blowby properly.

For the turbo inlet, im referring to the area between the air filter and 4" turbo compressor inlet. You can tap the intake pipe and put a barb in it and run the hose with the oil feed line. Heres what I did, autozone or pepboys sells a 4" straight pipe with vacuum holes and rubber grommets and fittings in it for less than $15 http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...4110944&ci_sku=,

I just integrated that pipe into the intake system and connected the hose to that from the dual catch can. I can take a pic if you want
Old 12-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
elsololobo02

Pt,

The check valve is one way and I tested it. Lets air out but not in. Yes some pics on where it goes into the turbo and where the line begins would be awesome!

I have attached some photos of what I did today. It is eveything you and SC2150 said to do other than running a line to the turbo. Since I changed the setup the car does run smoother. Throttle response is much more crisp.

When you get a chance I definatley would like to see the pics of your setup.
Attached Images