Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
Scott, if I ever have the pleasure of meeting you, I would definitely like to shake your hand.

I never let anyone into my car without putting on a seatbelt. Especially when we drive on the Long Island Expressway, the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, the Grand Central, or....heck, any road in NYC!!! It's a jungle out here!
Don't I know it!

I lived in Port Jefferson for some time in 1991-1993.........

I remember hitting a rather large 'dip' on 495 close to the Midtown tunnel one night very late.........and I really think I left the ground..........

(from Kennedy Airport tower: "Roger Camaro Convertible -- you are NOT cleared for takeoff!!!)
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
Having once been younger and having the imagined "invincibility", I had to learn the hard way one night....

I totalled a '96 Camaro because I lost control through a corner rated at 35 (while doing 95). I was really fortunate that I didn't get hurt beyond a couple of bruises and a couple scratches. The car, and more importantly the seatbelt, did their jobs. I walked away from the wreckage of my Camaro and was fortunate enough to be able to afford a '99 Camaro as soon as I finished paying off what was left of my '96. Have I been sucked into a moment or two of spirited driving since? Of course! I'm only human (AND I had the fortune to be stationed in Germany for 3 years! VIVA AUTOBAHN!!!!). But in less than a second, I went from invincible to completely vulnerable and insanely LUCKY and that night has stuck with me since. I was one of the lucky ones....

Be safe and be smart. Listen to the Fbod Father!
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
aldaron327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 AM   #17
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
most people can't drive to the cars capabilities. they exceed their own capabilities. and end up killing someone or getting really hurt because they are stupid. go to the track and use the proper safety equipment.

we have plenty of people here in fayetteville that race. and quite a few of them street race. as is the drivers around here suck and I wouldn't much less drive a motorcycle around town here. street racing is just absurd to think about here. but it happens. and then they go to the track and not even use the proper safety equipment. oh well some people never learn.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:28 AM   #18
SSideways

Drives: 99 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I guess we'll never know whether or not the fellows in the back seat of the Camaro SS on Windy Hill road would have survived had they had put the belts on.

Windy Hill Road in suburban Atlanta has curves and elevations. It has as I recall, a 35 mph speed limit. It was not designed for cars to travel at three times that speed. (or more)
WINDY HILL, in Marrietta? WOW... my old base is off windy hill across from the golf course. Parts of Windy Hill will seriously challenge you to say in between the lines at 35mph. People loved to race down that hill though. That really sux. wow... wow. Well, thanks for posting this. It needed to be said.

Last edited by SSideways; 04-25-2008 at 01:44 AM.
SSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:26 AM   #19
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
Is street racing that common in the US? It certainly isn't here - in fact I've not once, ever, seen two cars racing on the street. Ever. Then again, our roads are barely wide enough for one of todays sized cars let alone two.
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #20
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Having raced on the street for the vast majority of my years (not something I'm proud of) since getting a driver's licence m-a-n-y years ago and having dedicated a whole whack of my time lately trying to make people aware of all consequences of street racing, I've concluded the following:
1) those who wish to street race will do so.
2) those who street race have absolutely no difficulty whatsoever rationalizing or justifying their decision and can rarely be persuaded to change their outlook - that is until something drastic happens to them (and then it's a whole 'nuther story!).
3) virtually without exception, the people who street race, and are then forced to deal with the negative consequences of their actions (getting caught, being involved in an accident etc.) wish they could take back their decision, if they are still alive to do so. Unfortunately, it is usually too late by then to reverse their decisions and/or change the circumstances they find themselves in as a result.
4) street racers as a group seem to generally accept the concept that "it won't happen to me". I'd like to point out that virtually everyone involved in life-changing consequences of their actions felt similarly before the incident happened - because if for 1 second they thought that it could happen to them, I can't understand how they could choose to participate.

As I say, I'm not innocent... however I do feel extremely fortunate to have made it to this ripe old age without ever having had to deal with any of the negative consequences of my actions. I've seen enough carnage to know how lucky I really am to have escaped unharmed or unaffected. I'll never forget the night I found myself at a stoplight on a 4-lane arterial road just north of Toronto. In the other 3 lanes were a Dodge Stealth, a slammed Civic and an Integra. The 2 guys beside me were revvin' their engines and making hand gestures at me to go when the light turned green. I just smiled and waved goodbye to them. The light turned green and off they went, squealing rubber down the road. A couple of minutes later, I rounded a bend and I couldn't believe the scene in front of me... the Stealth had jumped the median and was on the other side of the road, minus its front and rear bumber caps, the Civic was on its roof on my side of the road, the Integra had escaped unscathed and had turned around at the intersection, I guess coming back to help. And there was some poor innocent guy and his wife in a black Grand Cherokee who had ended up being run off the road, I guess, ending up 1/2 way up an embankment. It didn't take me very long to realize that if I had chosen to accept the challenge, I would certainly have been involved in that mess, with who knows what result?!?

My street racing days have been over now for about 7 years and I've become a certified track junkie. This has proven to be a whole lot more satisfying and rewarding, and as others have said, it's the only way to go!
Sure, people are constantly trying to goad me into races at stoplights etc, but I feel I've graduated to the point where I can easily ignore those challenges - it's pretty easy after the experience I just described!

I kind of draw a parallel here to winning big at Vegas... I figure I've been really lucky and just won the jackpot... and I'm takin' my winnings and gettin' outta Dodge.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #21
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
Originally Posted by willisit View Post
Is street racing that common in the US? It certainly isn't here - in fact I've not once, ever, seen two cars racing on the street. Ever. Then again, our roads are barely wide enough for one of todays sized cars let alone two.
I know it's really common by me. Where 495 starts going Eastbound out of the Midtown Tunnel in Queens is a very common "starting point" for street racers. There really no spots for cops to hide for a couple of miles (raised highway) and is usually empty late at night.

It also doesn't help that in my area, there seems to be a lot of parents that buy their young kids very fancy cars they don't know how to properly drive. They still think they're invincible, which is unfortunate because it usually takes an incident for them to change their mindsets.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #22
briannutter

Drives: C4Vette,C5-Z06,Cherokee
Here comes the unpopular statement.

Very common in the U.S. Every city has a scene. Highway "roll" racing is pretty prevalent in Ohio...40 to 140...sometimes another 50mph is added to that even. A constant influx of new blood (kids growing up) and the "old timers" growing up for their kids and family.

Fbod father, I appreciate your sentiment, but I think 95% of car people would be hypocritical to take such an oath. For those of us who do take the oath, it's likely because we're old and have families that we're responsible to...we've had our fun already and don't need to prove ourselves anymore.

Now for the rest of us who sin from time to time. We've done it and will probably do it again under the right circumstances. Pride and dignity can be bad things. If the opponent is inexperienced and outclassed, you've got an out. If the driver is experienced, you've got a choice again...try to schedule a Wednesday of Friday night. If that's "just not going to happen" you still have a choice. No spectators, No traffic, No poles, no ditches, no idiots.
briannutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #23
briannutter

Just thought of something else.

We shouldn't let our friends drive our new 400 horse Camaros without supervision. They WILL wreck them.

For those of us with Kids. My son is 4. I'm not sure if he's going to be like me or not, but I'm not going to try and get him into racing on my account. If he DOES get into racing...that kid is going to be saddled with a big heavy slow car (with only enough room for two somehow) for as long as I have a say about it. He can drive my car at the track only.

You're going to think this is a bit crazy, but it's only about $1800 bucks to have a 6 point cage and a couple harnesses installed. Yes my kid is going to get one along with a circuit that won't let the car start unless the belts are together. I don't care how crazy it looks. The kids going to have to do something AWFULLY stupid to get killed with that stuff in place. Ever try sitting on a cam-lock? very uncomfortable. Yes, I'm getting a GPS nanny installed in his car without him knowing about it. My family is not a democracy.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #24
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannutter View Post
Fbod father, I appreciate your sentiment, but I think 95% of car people would be hypocritical to take such an oath. For those of us who do take the oath, it's likely because we're old and have families that we're responsible to...
Young people can be responsible too, just as those old people you were talking about can be irresponsible, I've seen a lot of dads zooming through traffic, no turn signal, in their mini-vans, with kids in the back.

Idiocy has no age requirements.

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #25
briannutter

While that's true...there are lame...oops sorry-responsible young people; I can assure you I was the looniest of the loonies at age 16 and I get more mellow (read lame) every year. I may be 36 on the outside, but I'm about 24 on the inside. The only thing that's helped slow me down was being responsible to others. Same goes for most people if they're honest with themselves.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I can assure you my son won't be taking my Camaro(s) for a spin unsupervised until I KNOWN without a shadow of a doubt that he will be responsible. My dad was more generous with me than he should've been but that also helped teach me various lessons.

I just hope I can do a good enough job for him to know to stay away from the crowd that participates in these activities.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #27
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
Young people can be responsible too, just as those old people you were talking about can be irresponsible, I've seen a lot of dads zooming through traffic, no turn signal, in their mini-vans, with kids in the back.

Idiocy has no age requirements.
Agreed 100% Bumblebee! Very very wise words. I've had the label of irresponsible teenage boy (not a teen anymore...and I'd be more inclined to say man, or young man...etc) put on me before. It's aggravating, to say the least. Just about the only traffic law I don't follow very closely is the speed limit. I tend to not go 55 in a 55 or 65 in a 65, but I'd venture to guess that many of you don't either. However, I'm not pushing the limits of my car on public roads...It's a rare occasion that I push 85 in a 65. I digress...There are young people out there that have flawless driving records, know how to drive, love cars, and don't succumb to various peer pressures that plague all generations. I know that it becomes easier and easier to generalize my generation (I'm 21), and generations after mine, as being headstrong and irresponsible when it comes to driving (and many other things) but I would ask that whomever normally does that would reconsider. I know that I, and Bumblebee, may be in the minority of our generation, but we are still here...we are still 20 and 21, respectively, and we can, and are, responsible.

I'm so encouraged by the fact that we are associated with someone (Scott, Fbodfather) who cares so much as to write threads like this, pretty frequently. For years, I've seen posts that he's made at Christmas, or New Years, or 4th of July, etc., asking us to be safe, buckle up, and to not drive while intoxicated. Scott, thank you so much for caring like you do. I'm not sure it's something I've ever seen (to this extent). Surely, my parents and various other family members, or even the various schools that I've attended have encouraged these things, but nothing on this kind of scale. It's a fantastic thing that Scott does with these threads because, in all honesty, it has to start with us (not just Camaro enthusiasts, but each and every one of us).

We need to practice good safety and buckle up when we get into our vehicles. That's the very beginning (I suppose making sure that your car is in good working condition is the VERY first thing). Making this a habit is best thing. For me, I can't drive without putting my seatbelt on, I just don't feel secure...without it, I feel awkward driving. Obeying traffic laws is the next thing...turn signals (my personal pet peeve)...You have them for a reason and they couldn't POSSIBLY be more EASY to use (unless your car could read your mind that you were going to make a left turn and turn the signal on for you). Additionally, if they weren't necessary, I'm sure the automakers wouldn't have them. Stop signs...they're there so that we stop. There's no reason not to. Traffic lights...arrows, no turn on red...Everything starts with us. It's not up to the other drivers to be responsible, because we can't control what they do...but we can sure control what we do.

I am, by no means, perfect. I've accidentally run a red or two, I've done a rolling stop before, I've been pulled over for speeding, I've forgotten to use my turn signal (only once, I swear...and I was so angry with myself)...Anyway, the point is, what I've said isn't just for everyone else...it's for me, too. In fact, it's for me just as much as it is for anyone else. I didn't intend to let this post get this long, but it kind of got away from me. I'm not trying to call anyone out or trying to convict or make people feel guilty. I just thing that being safe starts with us...and we are, subsequently, role models for other people on the road. People see the way we drive, kids see how we don't wear seat belts, friends see how we drive intoxicated...Let's set an example for those who are coming after us...and let's show those who came before, that we can be responsible and that we can change things.

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #28
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannutter View Post
While that's true...there are lame...oops sorry-responsible young people
RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT....

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote