Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 05:40 AM   #43
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdimic View Post
Gt's have the most uncomfortable seats i've ever sat in.
GT seats are nowhere near as bad as just getting in and out of the darn car. The shifter feels like it is stuck in a bucket of barely wet mud. :( The GT feels great while diving at speed though. Very flat, stable and confidence inspiring.

I would rather own a ZR-1 any day (without even driving it first ).

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #44
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The best Corvette and Viper already perform on par with Ferari's and Lambo's. They'll do the Nurburgring as fast or faster than an Enzo. Stock. The GT has a hard time out running a Z06, let alone a current Viper or the ZR1. How does that make it a better platform to build from? Also, I don't know about the GT or Viper, but the Corvette utilizes a space frame, allowing you to completely change the body if you'd like. But that would be a big advantage if you're looking to build a supercar.
I think the difference here is in potential, and not what they have already extracted. Both the ZR1 and Viper are impressively fast cars, but the reality is that the ZR1 pushes the Corvette platform to within in inch of it's breadth already as does the Viper. These cars really can't handle much more than they already do and take it in stride, which is almost certainly why you often see experienced tuners throw huge power improvements at these cars and get surprisingly little in return.

At stock power levels the GT is barely breaking a sweat, with the reality being that Ford seriously under-tired and under-powered this car. (John Coletti apparently had an obsession with this) Initially you couldn't read a review on the GT without hearing somebody say 'this car could easily take x more hp than it already has', and it wasn't uncommon for them to be talking about the car getting close to or even above the 1000hp mark. People rave about the Vette and Viper, and rightly so, but they I have never seen them say that about either.

The Viper and ZR1 are great cars, but there is a reason why, relatively speaking, 1500hp GT's are relatively common given the production numbers of the car and are amazing docile while performing ridiculous feats of speed. I've seen 1500hp Vette's and Vipers, and I've seen docile Vette's and Vipers, but I've never seen a 1500hp Vette or Viper that anybody would describe as docile. If you want the ultimate supercar hot rod I think the GT is close to impossible to beat for sheer potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3
And the Viper isn't all that cheap or easy to mod. Figure the number of V8's GM sells each year vs V10's from Dodge. Massive market for a supplier to tap into for small block chevy's vs a tiny one for Viper V10's. The GT sits between the two, since it essentially donated its engine to the GT500.
I don't disagree, my point was simply that these cars as a whole are cheap to modify compared to the alternatives (Porsche, Ferrari, etc)
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #45
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Moved to gen auto. Just a reminder, if it doesn't involve the Chevy Camaro vs something, it doesn't belong in Chevy Camaro vs ...

Anyway, I fail to see how two differently modified cars has much to do with a discussion about the stock performance of either (which is what the original discussion was about).

Stock for stock, the GT was barely ahead of the Z06 and 500 hp Viper. It isn't really a contest against the newer ZR1 or ACR Viper.
You ever seen what happens when they line up? I had the chance to be in each car (F430, 360, Ford GT, Z06, Gallardo, CGT Flying Spur (teh slow) and bolt on Mas Gran Sport, the last of which is my fathers) during at least one pull each from anywhere from 30-60mph onward and every single time the GT pulled all the way through. Now, I can't say this will happen every time because it is close enough to be somewhat of a drivers race, but the owner of the z drove and the GT switched off for a few pulls and the results were still in favor of the GT. With equal drivers it's no contest, the gt is the faster car. Now when the zr1 comes into play, the GT pails in comparison. I got a nice solid view of who was pulling from the Maserati since we were so far out back LOL, but it's all in good fun. Can't expect to run with 130 trap cars in a 115 trap car. If only Ford had continued the GT so we could have some competition! Having said all this, the GT is a completely different animal than the zr1 or z06. I love me some z06 and I've never driven a zr1, but I have sat in one...the GT just feels like a far more "exotic" car.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote