Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
i would definately wipe off the excess oil before installing that thing
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
zackex

Drives: 45th Camaro SS
[QUOTE=Apex Chase;6254431]This is a question we get asked often and is a major concern for many customers as they start down the road of

Great answer and I will remove the excess filter oil before i contaminate the MAF

Thanks for all Info given
zackex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
rd67

Drives: 2010 Silverado LTZ,2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I installed mine a year ago and have had ZERO issues with it. It sounds great, looks great and gets a lot of compliments. Everybody has their favorite brand. Buy it and enjoy.
I agree. I installed a K&N Typhoon CAI on mine 2 months ago and have had ZERO problems so far, as well. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what to put over the bracket and bolt that the OEM Air Filter Assembly bolted on. It's just hanging out there sayin' " What the heck am I still here for ???". I am trying to figure some type of a badge or something to go there.
rd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Like others have said you need to wipe off the excess oil, it won't void the warranty but if the oil messes up the MAF they will not cover it's cleaning.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #19
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackex View Post
I got a great deal on K&N intake at Amazon. My freind said it will void warranty I will check with dealer. I was just wondering what experiance you guys have had with this Mod K&N claims 18 HP. Not bad for $235.00.
I could always take it on and off with a little fuss.
voids the warranty on the intake hehe...fyi that k and n is poopoo should have done research and waited for sales for a quality intake
Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #20
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Ok the people bashing the Typhoon really don't have much of an argument. Its performance is proven. First of all K&N filters (even drop in type) of any kind are world renowned for their consistent clean high air flow. They are an industry leader for a reason. Second, lets look at the Typhoon polished CAI pipe.....its...a...PIPE with zero restrictions just like any other CAI and the quality/appearance is great. Pretty hard to screw up the intake pipe.

As far as the rare case where someone got a CEL or had to clean their MAF sensor, that's simple. YOU over oiled your filter, that is not K&N's fault. If it for some reason came over oiled new that's an easy fix, dab it once..done. People are so quick to bash products for usually one reason, the old childish "Well I have this brand so your brand sucks" I mean come on.

Sorry for the long rant, but this seems to happen way too much for just about any product that someone else doesn't use...so they bash it.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #21
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
Ok the people bashing the Typhoon really don't have much of an argument. Its performance is proven. First of all K&N filters (even drop in type) of any kind are world renowned for their consistent clean high air flow. They are an industry leader for a reason. Second, lets look at the Typhoon polished CAI pipe.....its...a...PIPE with zero restrictions just like any other CAI and the quality/appearance is great. Pretty hard to screw up the intake pipe.

As far as the rare case where someone got a CEL or had to clean their MAF sensor, that's simple. YOU over oiled your filter, that is not K&N's fault. If it for some reason came over oiled new that's an easy fix, dab it once..done. People are so quick to bash products for usually one reason, the old childish "Well I have this brand so your brand sucks" I mean come on.

Sorry for the long rant, but this seems to happen way too much for just about any product that someone else doesn't use...so they bash it.

The metal K&Ns never have made as much power as the plastic ones. In their sales guide it used to only list FIPK numbers and when it started listing typhoon numbers they were well lower.
K&N told me personally this was because the metal tube heated up more so it wasn't a cold air intake. It was just a less restrictive intake.
That said, it's fine for $200
Other brands don't just cost more because they can. You get something else for the money. For instance, the CAI brand is ceramic coated. May seem trivial, but it keeps the air cooler. Also, the sealed style box, even if you don think it makes a power difference, is much nicer fit and finish wise so the money went somewhere.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #22
zackex

Drives: 45th Camaro SS
There is one other problem besides warranty just read that the Intake is ileagle in Ma, and many other states with carb emision standards. This could make getting an inspection sticker dificult. any one in Massachusettes have any experiance with fresh air intakes.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #23
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
the k and n is a very expensive way of putting a cone filter on your cars. they are popular because the real muscle car guys got shit filters from factory and the brand is well known. their box is shit and doesnt seal from engine hot air and heir tube is shit and a great heat absorber and there filter is way way way over oiled.

the drop in filter for stock boxes is over oiled any only advantage to oem filter is its reuasable....doesnt flow any better probably worse with the pound of oil they put on them.

sorry all you k and n guys but its poor quality and is a $235 waste of money. only benefit i can see and this is a stretch is it doesnt have those baffles/mufflers that the oem intake has so the engine sounds nice from inside cabin. there are intakes out there that look better, work better, and have proven gains in power and flow and temperature.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #24
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
the k and n is a very expensive way of putting a cone filter on your cars. they are popular because the real muscle car guys got shit filters from factory and the brand is well known. their box is shit and doesnt seal from engine hot air and heir tube is shit and a great heat absorber and there filter is way way way over oiled.

the drop in filter for stock boxes is over oiled any only advantage to oem filter is its reuasable....doesnt flow any better probably worse with the pound of oil they put on them.

sorry all you k and n guys but its poor quality and is a $235 waste of money. only benefit i can see and this is a stretch is it doesnt have those baffles/mufflers that the oem intake has so the engine sounds nice from inside cabin. there are intakes out there that look better, work better, and have proven gains in power and flow and temperature.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #25
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
^^^^ must be new^^^^

SPCBA is right, compared to a ROTOFAB or Haltech (plastic of course) K&N is the cheap brand. Their drop in panel filters DO NOT flow better than a Fram it's just cheaper cause you can reuse it! Their metal tube will heat soak and cause IAT's to rise, I mean its a metal tube cooking next to the top of the radiator.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
the plastic intake tubes retain heat as well....nothing in a engine bay is adverse to heat maybe the ceramic coating is better then the metal or plastic....but nothing stays cool in the engine bay.....just the same comments posted by people that have read what others have posted...for every negative opinion there is a positive one..this covers eveything on the forum from cai to exhaust to tires ......i have a k@N on my car..looks way better then the plastic..but thats just my opinion...its what i like..so it doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks thats the way it is..if we all had the same things we couldnt debate everything
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote