Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
benradmo

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
AAC Night Rider Scanner vs KS4264 Scanner

Hey guys,
I have been researching the threads and found plenty of info about the AAC Night rider Scanner:http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...nd=night+rider
but not much on the KS4264 scanner light: http://www.knightlight.co.uk/pr-camaro-2010.asp

I know that you have to cut holes in the mail slot to install the AAC scanner. That is the biggest downside. Good things about it is that its cheaper, RGB model has 7 colors and they offer a lifetime warranty.

for the KS4264 scanner you just slide it in the mail slot and connect the wires and voila! Downside is price and I think you have to wait a long time before shipping from the UK.
Can anyone who has the KS4264 scanner tell us why they like it and chose it over other scanners?
Thank you in advance for your input.
benradmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by benradmo View Post
Hey guys,
I have been researching the threads and found plenty of info about the AAC Night rider Scanner:http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...nd=night+rider
but not much on the KS4264 scanner light: http://www.knightlight.co.uk/pr-camaro-2010.asp

I know that you have to cut holes in the mail slot to install the AAC scanner. That is the biggest downside. Good things about it is that its cheaper, RGB model has 7 colors and they offer a lifetime warranty.

for the KS4264 scanner you just slide it in the mail slot and connect the wires and voila! Downside is price and I think you have to wait a long time before shipping from the UK.
Can anyone who has the KS4264 scanner tell us why they like it and chose it over other scanners?

Pros and Cons for each.

KS4264:
Pros:
1. Made specifically for the Camaro SS
2. Very fluid motion
3. Very easy install
4. (TBD...but version 2.0 should be even better)
5. Dan is very great to deal with.

Cons:
1. Pricey
2. Limited range in the remote (rumored to be fixed in version 2.0)
3. Not as many functions as the AAC one (rumored to have more in 2.0)
4. Not reliable (Many have had to have replacements...)
5. Time from order to delivery is long.

AAC Scanner:
Pros:
1. Many functions and colors available
2. Reliable
3. Price
4. Quick shipping

Cons:
1. Universal bar...so cutting the front fascia is required.
2. Motion is not fluid (as fluid as the Knightlight)

(BTW, I'd check with AAC about the lifetime guarantee because I think they stated that there wasn't a lifetime gaurantee on the scanner).
Old 10-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Support@OracleLights.com

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by benradmo View Post
Hey guys,

Edit: The 22" V2.0 scanner that we sell only has a 1 year warranty on it because it is not an Oracle product. The reason that we can offer ours much cheaper is because this is a universal scanner that can be used on many different vehicles rather than just moulded for one application.

You can see detailed instructions how a customer did his install!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=v2.0+install
Support@OracleLights.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
benradmo

Thanks for the info LadiesMan217.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I have the KS4264 light bar I love it had it on the car since May no issues.

Two reasons why I have this over the AAC one.

1. It was out before we know AAC would have one
2. I am not into cutting the mail slot

Old 10-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
benradmo

Looks awesome officer 01pewterz28
Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
dbruinsma

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I purchased the AAC scanner. The cutting of the mail slot really isnt a big deal, because it is on the side and if you do it right you will never see the cut, even if you decide to take the scanner out and go back to the factory plastic piece you still cant see the cut.

However, I ran into a problem with my AAC scanner just 3 weeks after installing it. I have the AAC red halo lights and red led's (also from AAC) in the radiator opening, wheel wells, terminator hood vents and inside where your feet go.

When I first put in the scanner it matched all the other red lights and looked really good, but 3 weeks in, the red light in the scanner started turning pink. And has made my all black camaro with Red Halos and other lights look very feminine. Not exactly the look I was going for.

I mentioned this to the AAC guys and below is the response from them.

Quote:
Jonathen,

I have only been using the scanner for about a month now, and already the red l.e.d.'s have faded and no longer look red. It is a much lighter color then the red halos I also purchased from you.

Have you had other complaints about this? I do not see any difference in any of the other colors, but I almost always have it on red. It seems that some of the other color LED's are being activated slightly when the red is on, which caused the color to look pink.

David
Quote:
David,

I have not heard of this issue before but unfortunately if it is still in working condition the manufacturer will not warranty it out unless LEDs are out in it or the remote box is not functioning.

I will keep my eye out for this issue but I have not heard of this happening before.

I apologize for any inconvenience,

-Jonathan Barber
Oracle Lighting Technology
AAC Enterprises INC
4401 Division St.
Metairie, LA 70002

Needless to say, I was disappointed in their response, especially since I have purchased so many items from them, and not had any problems.

Thats my two cents on the AAC scanner.
dbruinsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbruinsma View Post
I purchased the AAC scanner. The cutting of the mail slot really isnt a big deal, because it is on the side and if you do it right you will never see the cut, even if you decide to take the scanner out and go back to the factory plastic piece you still cant see the cut.

However, I ran into a problem with my AAC scanner just 3 weeks after installing it. I have the AAC red halo lights and red led's (also from AAC) in the radiator opening, wheel wells, terminator hood vents and inside where your feet go.

When I first put in the scanner it matched all the other red lights and looked really good, but 3 weeks in, the red light in the scanner started turning pink. And has made my all black camaro with Red Halos and other lights look very feminine. Not exactly the look I was going for.

I mentioned this to the AAC guys and below is the response from them.

Needless to say, I was disappointed in their response, especially since I have purchased so many items from them, and not had any problems.

Thats my two cents on the AAC scanner.
From what I can take of that, AAC is trying to help. It is the manufacturer of the scanner light that won't warranty it not AAC.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I have the scanner from the UK. Amber & White and love it so far. Very easy installation. Also only like 2-3 weeks for me to get it. Best thing I can recommend is to email Dan like I did and are if they have the colors you want already complete. As for the remote, mine works good and the distance is good as well.

I thought about AAC's but as most the thought of cutting (no matter how small or unnoticeable) wasn't an option for me.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote