Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #57
1bAdSSom

Drives: 02 SS SOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Vette View Post
I had sways, springs & sub-frames on my 94 TA GT and only have springs on my 00 TA. I need to get off my lazy butt and get the sways & SFC's for the LS1.

At $430-$500, it's a worthwhile investment. As a matter of fact, anything that makes a vehicle more controllable is worthwhile.
You should get a watts link for your LS1 too, keeps the rear end planted around the corner better than any panhard rod. It also makes the solid axle a little smoother ride like an IRS car. Its about $650 and worth every penny for your 4th gen.
1bAdSSom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #58
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bAdSSom View Post
You should get a watts link for your LS1 too, keeps the rear end planted around the corner better than any panhard rod. It also makes the solid axle a little smoother ride like an IRS car. Its about $650 and worth every penny for your 4th gen.
HUH! I never knew that. Good to know though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #59
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
Received mine today, i ordered from summit. they were backordered at first but they just arrived, took a week or two. They are still in box beside my headers since car isn't here. Can someone suggest once i get my car and these are installed what i should have the rear setting at since it has 3 options?
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #60
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Received mine today, i ordered from summit. they were backordered at first but they just arrived, took a week or two. They are still in box beside my headers since car isn't here. Can someone suggest once i get my car and these are installed what i should have the rear setting at since it has 3 options?
I'd say contact Hotchkis and ask them what they recommend as a starting point for a 2SS with staggered wheels.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #61
Tankrust

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS/6MT
JP,

I have installed aftermarket swaybar sets on vehicles in the past and set them up for road racing and autocross courses. Hopefully this explanation is not oversimplified for you. If so, others may find it helpful.

Since the Hotchkis front bar is non-adjustable, you don't need to worry about any adjustments up there. You will be dealing with quite a bit more roll stiffness up front than the factory bar. The stiffer front bar will allow you to retain more of your static front camber since the suspension travel while cornering (roll) will be reduced. This should give you a higher cornering limit before the front end begins to push. A performance oriented alignment will help you get the most out of the swaybars.

As a general rule, the stiffer you set the rear bar, the more prone the vehicle will be to oversteer. This can happen both during power-on (accelerating out of a corner) and power-off (lifting off the throttle) situations. To keep things safe until you learn the new cornering limits of the car, I would recommend using the softest setting on the rear bar initially. This will help prevent getting into trouble if you suddenly lift off the thottle on an off-ramp at a decent rate of speed. You don't want the back end coming around on you when you don't expect it! After you learn how the car handles, you can move up to the stiffer settings on the rear bar.

The stock Camaro has quite a bit of understeer dialed in to keep things safe and predictable. Unfortunately this makes the car more difficult to hustle and reluctant to turn-in. Chevrolet would rather err on the safe side for the general public than have a bunch of Camaros ending up in the ditch due to twitchy handling.

After you install your bars, I would recommend taking the car to a local autocross to try out the handling and get used to the limits of the car in a safe environment.
Tankrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #62
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
That was very helpful and I appreciate any info. You mentioned allignment will it need to alligned after these are installed. I have never been on an autocross and have no idea where to find one, I purchased these because they were an upgrade for the ocassional curvy backroad I might encounter. So with that in mind would suggest I might just stick with the lowest setting. I have never had a true sports/musclecar other than my 68 and it doesn't even have power steering and I rarely drive it, so I'm not sure I would know the difference, if the lowest setting is a little safer that would be my bet.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 PM   #63
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Great first post Tankrust. Welcome!

I'm not quite sure autocrossing will let you experience the limits of the Camaro, other than perhaps the visibility limits. With its size and heft, it might be more at home on a more open road course.

HPDEs are you friend there.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:50 AM   #64
Tankrust

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS/6MT
Stov,

Thanks for the welcome! I agree with you in that an autocross will be a challenge due to the limited outward visibility of the Camaro. However, due to the lower speeds involved than an HPDE, it is a safer venue to explore the effects of suspension modifications on vehicle handling. I have seen people set up their vehicles in a tail-happy manner, and proceed to put them off track during the first lap of a track day. Granted, either one of these is better than trying to explore the limits on a public road.

JP,

It sounds as if you are wanting to improve the general handling characteristics of the vehicle. You may actually find the Camaro more than adequate in the handling department for your daily curvy road attacks. It can definitely hold its own for such a heavy vehicle. I would try the car for a while in stock configuration. If you decide you do not see a need for the swaybars, you will have no problem selling them on this forum.
As far as an alignment goes, it is not necessary to have one done after the swaybar installation. It will not change the factory alignment settings. An alignment is required to change from the factory specifications, which are designed with safe, predictable handling in mind. Increasing camber and altering the toe angle will produce a more lively car with higher cornering limits than stock, with a possible increase in tire wear and a slight reduction in straight line stability on the highway.
You can find information on local autocross clubs at the SCCA website. Look under the "SOLO" tab, and click "SOLO Events" on the left side of the screen".

Tankrust

Last edited by Tankrust; 07-30-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Tankrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #65
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Wow that car is taking a good beating.