Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Suspension / Chassis / Brakes

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #99
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Just got mine back from the painter and they are HUGE. Now they'll match my blue rears. Just waiting on rotors now.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #100
C-redfly

Drives: 2013 VR vert ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhusku View Post
Just got mine back from the painter and they are HUGE. Now they match my blue rears. Just waiting on rotors now.
Looking good!!!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #101
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Are you talking about the AC delco OEM pad or the AC Delco Durastop pads? Earlier you said you bought the durastop pads for $50 no the OEM pad for $175, I just want to clarify which pads you are talking about.
Yes and yes. I did purchase the dura stop for $45. But after talking to a brake engineer at GM I ordered the OEM pads for $175. I will not be trying the dura stop on the track.....actually already swapped them this afternoon.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #102
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I ordered the OEM pads and received them today.......The pictures do not do them justice as far as how different the material is betweern the OEM pads and the AC Delco pads

I have received data in regards to the factory pads temp ranges from testing at GM and will share what I can later....

Finally, I am using the Silver CTS-V rear calipers to match the front and they ARE NOT a direct bolt on. Both the GEN1 and GEN2 calipers require modifications to use. I KNOW "but everyone says they bolt on" They are all wrong as a modification is need to both to use.

I ordered both sets-to view/confirm the differences....I will post a separate thread about the calipers, differences and mods that need to be made to use them.

-Matt
Thanks for validating the pad info. I was basically going by my gut on the appearance of the two different pads and drew the same conclusion and you are correct the photos I took don't show how different the pads really are.
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #103
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Just got mine back from the painter and they are HUGE. Now they'll match my blue rears. Just waiting on rotors now.
Beautiful, did they have to take the calipers apart to do that?

Last edited by Fraxum; 04-05-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #104
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Very sweet!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #105
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Beautiful, did they have to take the calipers apart to do that? Did they fill in the V recess?
The calipers are a one piece design unlike the rears which are 2 piece with O-ring seals between the 2 half's. You can see some blue overspray on the pistons in the picture so it looks like they were just masked off and painted. I wonder how that paint will hold up to the heat as it looks like auto paint rather than rattle can like VHT high temp paint. I've used car paint on engine blocks with mixed results, sometimes having the paint lift off in the higher heat areas. I am going to paint my calipers using VHT caliper paint. I plan on stripping the silver paint off by blasting with glass beads. I used duct tape to mask off the pistons and bleed screws which I hope will stand up to the blasting.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #106
racerx8

Drives: '18 SIM 1LE '16 NRB Z06 '21 C8 Z51
Dropspeed, thanks for the excellent info. I ordered the silver calipers, 12227 ss lines, 171-1040 Brembo pads and pin kit. Now just waiting to see if the ZL1 rotors drop from $339.00 to a lower price but if not I'll order them next week.
Do you know if the calipers pistons need to be removed before powdercoating of simply taped up really well? Most likely R&R before or after done but just wondering.
racerx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #107
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
The calipers are a one piece design unlike the rears which are 2 piece with O-ring seals between the 2 half's. You can see some blue overspray on the pistons in the picture so it looks like they were just masked off and painted. I wonder how that paint will hold up to the heat as it looks like auto paint rather than rattle can like VHT high temp paint. I've used car paint on engine blocks with mixed results, sometimes having the paint lift off in the higher heat areas. I am going to paint my calipers using VHT caliper paint. I plan on stripping the silver paint off by blasting with glass beads. I used duct tape to mask off the pistons and bleed screws which I hope will stand up to the blasting.
Yea, I looked at the one caliper I have and see they are one piece like you said, doh! And there is no V recess. Just an optical illusion of the V decal at least to my eyes at a quick glance. Sounds like you've been down this road. I will just leave mine silver with the V decal for now and enjoy the fade free braking.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #108
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
I started bead blasting the calipers in prep for painting. Based on bead blasting the factory finish is powder coated not painted. Powder tends to move around under blasting (more flexible than paint) so most of the surface I just knocked off the shine rather than completely stripping down to bare metal. Blast material more aggressive than glass bead would do a better job getting the old powder coat off.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #109
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
Powhusku, those calipers looks fu*&ing awesome! I have the yellow Vs from amazon and they look sweet on my cyber grey. Will post photos shortly.
You should post once on your car! Are they the same blue as the ZR1 caliper?
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #110
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Is there any difference in clearance from the caliper to the wheel vs stock brembo's?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #111
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I didn't measure but I'd guess it's about the same...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #112
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I just measured them from the disc surface of the rotor it's 56mm for a CTS-V caliper.

I know proper measurement would be from the face of the hub but I don't feel like pulling a wheel today. Sorry, that should give you something to reference though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk