Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #57
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17357 View Post
Hi Dragon,

Here is a thread that discusses the blown Ford 5.4 motor and its specs. Does this help?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...6919&hl=forged

Jim
It does, thank you!! I've also been educated by a GT500-guy that the engine is forged throughout. Given that the LSA has those oil-jets pointed at the bottom of every piston, and the piston's dished, no-"hot-spot" design....I think we're fully aftermarket-able. But I'm no engineer, so I'm comfortable with being wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
With these statement, (maybe Im nit-picking) the LSA seems more geared and refined for the Caddy application. With a car like the Z28, I would think the designers would want the things they tried to omit with their design detail with the LSA. Words like a SOFT, SMOOTHER, QUIETER.....isnt what we are thinking when we want to sit idle with a SS with GMPP exhaust next to us.

Im still thinking that an engine made between the LSA and LS9 is in order. GM knows these car will be ran harder on the average than a Caddy. Plus i would hate to think that they would let there own "GMPP" miss out on warrantied upgrades to contend with FRPP upgrades on a GT500. I have faith that GM is smart to do this. They have been so far with the details.

If they push out L99s JUST for automatic Camaros to avoid gas guzzler tax, I believe they would at least expect and prepare for the stress and expectations that the Camaro's breed of customer will put on a Z28.

Making a "LS8" or "mongoose" with forged material (not titanium) and having its power output between 556hp and 600hp would be a good benchmark and insurance against a crippling load of warranty claim. Do it right the first time. At least put it on par with the strength of the GT500's 5.4L and boost its power output a little above to add to the snake's insult.
No, you're not nitpicking at all -- you're absolutely right. The LSA was built with refinement at the forefront of their minds. I don't think that translates into reduced reliability, though...especially considering the testing results in the article.

They could take the money spent on refining it and invest that into forged pieces...and then up the boost a tiny bit for factory-release. My concern is the associated engineering and validation costs...do they want to spend all that for a likely one-off motor? (The GenV V8s are around the corner, remember...)

Ironically...LeftLane blog wrote an article in 2007...hard to believe it's been that long...But thus far, they've been accurate...And it mentions an LS8...as well as an LST..........

http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html

I think there's also a possibility of the Gen V engines making it into a 2012-released Z28. Supercharged or not...I consider this to be the ideal route.

BUT...nobody knows, and that's the beauty...hehe, We're going to go through this process alllllll over again.........
Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #58
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
SHEESH! Jinx does more than make the BEST Z28 renderings. I never really considered what you're proposing but I like it a lot. Wasn't there allegedly three SC'd engines talked about not that long ago?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #59
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Well the refinement mentioned was brought up in the part of the when it was talking about the hyp. pistons over the forged ones. While it prolly wont be a issue with reliability, expected abuse is another. Ill would prepare and prevent a load of warranty claims and company headaches and have the thing set mildly in boost like the LSA, but have the added lift of the cam (similar to the LS9s cam spec) do the moderating that advertised power level between 556hp and 600hp.

As of now, the L99 could be considered "one off". I consider it to be a smart insurance policy while meeting customer demands instead. Im not an industrial expert, but I doubt that it would cost that Mexico plant that making these engines a fortune for GM to have an "LS8" to be built with a LS9 cam, LSA heads/block/SC, and a third party supplier like Mahle or Manley (call up middle men between Ford and those guys) for rods and pistons. We are talking just rods and pistons the first time. Overkill can prevent bigger cost in the long run and meet the demands (back to the L99 example again).

Ill agree on the most part, but the concern with Gen V engines isnt too much. The Corvette tends to hold a milestone engine like that exclusive to that model for at least a year.

As for the LST, my wild specualtion is the that high tiered V6 that was slightly mentioned in the Z28 release story. But just a guess.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #60
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Jeeeeze, first of all, how many different ways can we POSSIBLY supercharge the LS3?? LOL, might as well just offer it with an LS3 and let people supercharge it themselves to their own specs rather than release 800 varients to please everyone

Second, the LS8 sounds interesting but wouldnt work for the Z/28 with only 500hp (wow, never thought id ever say ONLY 500hp, lmao) but with the Camaros heavier body and at 500 being 40 less than the Shelby that'd be a losing battle, the LST sounds interesting also but again with 450 torque its still under the Shelby, also with these two additions im getting waayy sick of these supercharged LS3s >=/ LOL

I guess im most interested in the next gen engines, i hope we can get gobs of power out of N/A engines, and then look into supercharging those to get the rediculous numbers i talked about way back when (ie: stock 900hp Camaros ooohhhh ) and besides, what would possibly be a better debute for the next gen engine other than the obvious Corvette release?
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #61
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Well the refinement mentioned was brought up in the part of the when it was talking about the hyp. pistons over the forged ones. While it prolly wont be a issue with reliability, expected abuse is another. Ill would prepare and prevent a load of warranty claims and company headaches and have the thing set mildly in boost like the LSA, but have the added lift of the cam (similar to the LS9s cam spec) do the moderating that advertised power level between 556hp and 600hp.

As of now, the L99 could be considered "one off". I consider it to be a smart insurance policy while meeting customer demands instead. Im not an industrial expert, but I doubt that it would cost that Mexico plant that making these engines a fortune for GM to have an "LS8" to be built with a LS9 cam, LSA heads/block/SC, and a third party supplier like Mahle or Manley (call up middle men between Ford and those guys) for rods and pistons. We are talking just rods and pistons the first time. Overkill can prevent bigger cost in the long run and meet the demands (back to the L99 example again).
I want to see what you describe, don't get me wrong!! And I believe it's more than a possibility. The L99 was basically changing the lifters, adding a pump, and messing with the computer. They can do that level of change in the LSA by simply installing forged pistons, and call it the LS'B' or something -- so I'm not dismissing the idea by any means. It could be that they're already validating an engine variant, and my concerns are baseless, too!

Quote:
Ill agree on the most part, but the concern with Gen V engines isnt too much. The Corvette tends to hold a milestone engine like that exclusive to that model for at least a year.
True...but the new Vette isn't due for at least a year after when the Z28's supposed to start up...In the 2007 UAW contracts, there was the Gen V's listed for production in late 2010/early 2011...and the C6.R team is supposedly already using the block in GT2 racing. I guess I'm just hoping they consider this car as important as a Corvette...
Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #62
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
GT500 guys do not get 700rwhp through a pulley swap...although i wish that was true! Now an u/g blower with different pulleys is another story, but just a pulley swap on the stock blower no way.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #63
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Quote:
As for the LST, my wild specualtion is the that high tiered V6 that was slightly mentioned in the Z28 release story. But just a guess.
hmm.... do they use "LS" in models for any V6's Currently or in the past? I always thought that they used that for V8's mainly.
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #64
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Also, these part of the LSA information article stuck out:

"The LS9s pistons are made of forged aluminum. The key difference in material choice here, is the desire for refinement in the Cadillac application."

"The cam design also reduces operating noise compared to the naturally aspirated 6.2L Corvette LS-3 V-8 by one decibel. While the change might not seem significant by itself, it combines with similar incremental improvements through the LSA that reduce interior noise in the 2009 CTS-V substantially compared its predecessor"

"The camshaft operates the engine's valves, and its design is crucial to both power and smoothness. The torque enhancing benefits of the supercharger allowed GM engineers to develop a "softer," lower-lift camshaft for the LSA, compared to the typical high-rev, high-power super-sedan engine. The LSA cam delivers maximum lift of 12.2 mm for both the intake and exhaust valves. Moreover, the cam lobes are profiled to reduce the amount of time that both intake and exhaust valves are partially open at the same time. Valve overlap is reduced compared the previous, LS2-powered CTS-V, despite the substantial increase in output. The result is smoother operation at low speeds, and particularly at idle."

With these statement, (maybe Im nit-picking) the LSA seems more geared and refined for the Caddy application. With a car like the Z28, I would think the designers would want the things they tried to omit with their design detail with the LSA. Words like a SOFT, SMOOTHER, QUIETER.....isnt what we are thinking when we want to sit idle with a SS with GMPP exhaust next to us.

Im still thinking that an engine made between the LSA and LS9 is in order. GM knows these car will be ran harder on the average than a Caddy. Plus i would hate to think that they would let there own "GMPP" miss out on warrantied upgrades to contend with FRPP upgrades on a GT500. I have faith that GM is smart to do this. They have been so far with the details.

If they push out L99s JUST for automatic Camaros to avoid gas guzzler tax, I believe they would at least expect and prepare for the stress and expectations that the Camaro's breed of customer will put on a Z28.

Making a "LS8" or "mongoose" with forged material (not titanium) and having its power output between 556hp and 600hp would be a good benchmark and insurance against a crippling load of warranty claim. Do it right the first time. At least put it on par with the strength of the GT500's 5.4L and boost its power output a little above to add to the snake's insult.

While I wish the Z/28 would be more hardcore, it won't happen. They want to make the Z/28 on the cheap and make as much money as they can. They will NOT make a new motor like a LSA/LS9 combo, that costs money. They will take a engine already being produced, only motor I see is the LSA, wish it was the LS9 but that motor costs too much.

I wish they could make a cam change on the LSA but I'm sure they won't. They will take that same caddy motor and change the motor mounts and sell it as a killer Z/28 motor.

What REALLY worries me is the weight, thats a heavy motor, sure we are gaining 150HP but we are also gaining 150+ pounds on the front of the car.

-bobby
Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #65
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Revo1 = Wants LSA!!!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #66
pfflyer

Drives: 10 SS 6M IOM
I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I think this might not have been brought up before. I was wondering if from a model offering and marketing standpoint, if it would make more sense for the Z/28 to have the LS7 from the Z06, and the LSA supercharged engine could then be used as a limited edition ZL-1. An LSA Camaro should be somewhat limited and expensive...the LS7 Z/28 would make a great interim step to that.
06/30 - 4150
07/02 - 4D
07/24 - 4B
07/27 - 4D
07/28 - 4D
08/03 - 4B
08/05 - 42 ETTX852168
08/07 - Arrives Buffalo NY 3AM 08/08 - Depart Buffalo NY 7:43AM for Selkirk NY 08/08 - Arrives Selkirk NY 3:05 PM 08/11 - Arrives at Dealer 08/13 - Home at last
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #67
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I want one , I will be keeping the mileage low on my 2010 SSRS and be first in line at Balise Chevrolet when they announce the date the Supercharged Z-28 can be ordered, Oh Yeeaahhh, I can't wait for that day.

Last edited by 2010 SSRS; 09-29-2009 at 02:41 PM.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #68
missionbrent
Bringing the Sexy Back

Drives: 73GMC/05Jeep/07Cobalt/Ninja
Less interested in the engine and more interested in what else they would change in the car. Just like in the GT500 it's not the 500+hp it's everything else that has been upgraded so you can make 800hp and not break everything. I believe they have GT500s in the 9s with some bolt ons with a tune, a new pulley, and some suspension and tires. I believe it was with the Evolution Performance GT500. I also think they were the first in the 9s. The prospect of spending a few grand on a Z28 and having a 9 second car is very interesting.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #69
DSworo9
Original Polish Memeber

Drives: 2002 WS6 Trans Am

“I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”
DSworo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #70
CamaroTransAmFAM
DIE HARD G.M.FAN 4 LIFE

Drives: 99 TransAm WS6,00 TransAm WS6,05GTP
ford mustank owners are shakin in their bootz in wake of this news bye bye gt 500..........u ford guyz didnt think we(Camaro) guyz were going 2 let u steal the spotlight for long didnt ya??? foolish assumption mustank owners...........the Z28 is back
#1 DIE HARD GM FAN SSuperior MotorSportz "the SSpirit of Championz,The Attitude of Winnerz,"TEAM FBODY WE LIVE AND BREATHE PERFORMANCE"General Motors 4 Life "CAMARO & TRANS AM RACING ORGANIZATION" THE STREETZ IS A JUNGLE,ONLY 2 BEAST REIGN AS KING:THE PONTIAC TRANS AM WS6/FIREHAWK & CAMARO SS/Z28
CamaroTransAmFAM is offline   Reply With Quote