Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
vafinest25

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS "Orange Crush"
Tuner Pricing

I am trying to find the going rate for a tune. I called a shop in stl CBI and they quoted me $500 for a tune of DT Shorties, JBA Mids/hiflow cats, Borla S-type axel back, and K&N CAI. does this sound right? What you guys paying?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Shouldn't need a tune with shorties unless the JBA hfc's are throwing a code.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Tune prices can vary.

A full dyno tune can run $500.00 or so. That will usually include the dyno time and the tune. In some shops there is a separate charge for the dyno time. (Tune $350.00 + dyno time $150.00 = $500

A street tune (no dyno) is usually less expensive $200 - $300 or so. It all depends.

Most tuners charge a smaller fee for re-tunes. It the first/original tune that is the most expensive. And most tuners adjust or fix a tune that isn't working perfectly at no cost.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
vafinest25

Ok I got that, I'm not throwing a code I have defoulers on my midpipes. But I was looking for a dyno to see what I'm pushing hp wise, as I thought that was called a tune. Is that not it?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
brianko
Never enough time

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafinest25 View Post
Ok I got that, I'm not throwing a code I have defoulers on my midpipes. But I was looking for a dyno to see what I'm pushing hp wise, as I thought that was called a tune. Is that not it?
No, that's just a dyno pull. Don't know what the going rate is where you live, but 3 pulls will cost you anywhere from $60-$100. Make sure you get air/fuel logged as well.

If you're planning to mod, go to a dyno you think you'd like to go back to. That way, you can compare apples to apples when you do your mods. Trying to compare dyno charts from different dynos is an exercise in futility.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Texas2SS
Vroom

Drives: Rarely
[QUOTE=brianko;3450796]No, that's just a dyno pull. Don't know what the going rate is where you live, but 3 pulls will cost you anywhere from $60-$100. Make sure you get air/fuel logged as well.

If you're planning to mod, go to a dyno you think you'd like to go back to. That way, you can compare apples to apples when you do your mods. Trying to compare dyno charts from different dynos is an exercise in futility.[/QUOTE]
This
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
vafinest25

Ok i call the place back and asked about a 3Dyno pull and they said $75. so that sounds right?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
vafinest25

So when do you get a tune then?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
brianko
Never enough time

Quote:
Ok i call the place back and asked about a 3Dyno pull and they said $75. so that sounds right?
That's about right.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
brianko
Never enough time

Quote:
So when do you get a tune then?
When you want more power. Car manufacturers always leave HP "on the table" with their conservative tunes. (One advantage is that they can increase HP numbers over the years without actually changing anything mechanically...it's all about marketing.) If track times are important to you, get a tune. Otherwise, for your mods, I'd say don't worry about it. (Yes, I tell my customers this too...it's all about being honest, not making the buck.)
Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
vafinest25

So Brianko you suggest not even getting a tune if im just everyday driving and occasionally putting her on the track, even if it does increas hp?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
I am trying to find the going rate for a tune. I called a shop in stl CBI and they quoted me $500 for a tune of DT Shorties, JBA Mids/hiflow cats, Borla S-type axel back, and K&N CAI. does this sound right? What you guys paying?
When you purchase an SCT X3 tuner from me the First tune is free for your simple bolt ons, No Dyno Needed for these mods as I have tuned Hundreds of these cars with every combination imaginable.

Continue to purchase your upgrades from me and tunes for those parts are Free.

This Program can save you hundreds to thousands in dyno time.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
brianko
Never enough time

Quote:
So Brianko you suggest not even getting a tune if im just everyday driving and occasionally putting her on the track, even if it does increas hp?
No...you asked if you "should" get a tune. I simply suggested that if you're not looking at track time, you probably don't *need* one if you are on the fence. You're looking at maybe 15-20HP over whatever you're making with your mods. If that number is important to you, and it's worth $400-$500, then go for it...otherwise, go drive and enjoy!

One of the questions I always ask my potential customers is "What are you looking for out of a tune?" Sometimes they want a tune for the wrong reasons, and I'm more than happy to point that out to them. Sure, I'm out a potential tune, but I also know I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Camaro,Corvette, GTO, Trans Am, GM Trucks, SSR, Firebird, LS series motors tuning

Welcome to Tampa Tuning

Camaro,Corvette, GTO, Trans Am, GM Trucks, SSR, Firebird, LS series motors

We specialize in high performance custom computer reprogramming of General Motors powered LS 1 through 9 powered muscle cars and trucks. Our high standard for customer service guarantees you’ll love the performance gains at prices your spouse can tolerate. Tampa Tuning will design a customized remapping of your vehicle’s computer (PCM) for optimal efficiency. Our tuner has nearly 8 years of tuning experience and has been trained at the basic and advanced tunins from MacDill Air force Base.
We use the most powerful updated version of HP Tuners software which unleashes the horsepower and torque for an assortment of General Motors vehicles. Our computer enhancements will make your motor more efficient. Tampa Tuning specializes in the following high performance cars and heavy duty trucks for tuning:
  • 1997-2011 Chevrolet Corvette C5 & C6 including ZR1, Grand Sport, Z06s
  • 1998-2011 Chevrolet Camaros Generation 4 and 5 Z28, SS, RS
  • 2002-2011 Cadillac CTS, STS, XLR, SRX, DTS, Escalade
  • 2000-2011 Avalanche, Hummer, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Silverado V8s
  • 1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird, WS6, Trans Am
  • 2003-2004 Chevrolet SSR 5.3
  • 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
Our total street performance tuning package $280.00

• Read and reprogram your PCMs settings and perform real time scanning diagnostics for the best results
  • Increase power enrichment rate mode
  • Examine and change timing tables for additional horsepower & torque gain
  • Optimize your vehicles Air and Fuel Ratio monitored by the LM-1 wideband unit
  • Reduction of intake air temperature table (heat soak)
  • Desired rev limiter adjustments
  • Park, neutral, and in- gear idle adjustments with and without A/C active
  • Adjust power enrichment delay to immediate (*Transmission Performance*)
  • Engine torque management system reduced (*Transmission Performance*)
  • Transmission torque management system reduced (*Transmission Performance*)
  • Transmission shift points enhanced (*Transmission Performance*)
  • Transmission shift times reduced (*Transmission Performance*)
  • Transmission shift pressure firmness enhanced (*Transmission Performance*)
  • Skip shift deleted (CAGs 1st to 4th shift) (*Transmission Performance*)
  • Fuel injector rescaling for aftermarket injectors
  • Cooling fan activation temperature recalculated
  • Perform speedometer recalibration for rear gear ratio and tire size change
  • Turn off check engine light and remove trouble codes
  • Neutralize rear oxygen sensors
Transmission performance package

$170.00

Tampa Tuning recognizes that the A4 and A6 automatic transmission owners just want their sloppy, slow shifting and sluggish transmissions tuned for a performance feel. For those owners, we designed a transmission only tuning package. We will reduce your vehicles engine and transmission torque management system and re-flash only transmission settings indicated above by *Transmission performance* notation. This will be a very noticeable change in your vehicles performance!

Torque management reduction tune

$75.00

For the drivers that just want a noticeable change in your vehicles performance, and are tired of the 1st to 4th CAGs skip shift, Tampa Tuning will reduce your vehicle’s engine and transmission torque management system and neutralize your CAGs. You will be surprised and pleased with the torque management tune. Many drivers who use their vehicle daily say just turning off the CAGs are worth the price and the extra seat of the pants torque is a bonus.

Email order tunes

$150.00

If you own or have access to HP Tuners software, you can Email your stock ‘BIN’ file to Tampa Tuning where it will be reviewed and properly enhanced for a “Email order” tune. Your tune will be enhanced by using HP Tuner tables from our library of modified configurations which have a very similar set up as your make and model vehicle.

(We do offer a 10% price discount for active or retired Military or Law Enforcement except on Email tunes)
(All prices are for stock or minor bolt on modified vehicles)
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote