Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
dpslugger12

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
No Traction

I just traded my M6 ZL1 for an A6 ZL1. My manual would grab the road hard. Now that I got an automatic it seems that if I barely punch it the wheels start spinning and no traction. My tread life is about 65% if I had to guess. So I dont know what the problem is. Does anyone know what is wrong or what I can do to get more traction???
dpslugger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Seems like an auto would have better traction than a manual. I have a manual and have serious traction problems. Temperature plays a large role as well. Cold ambient temps are way worse for traction with these tires.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
maybe its due to the down shifts, where as in a manual you may not have been down shifting to as low of a gear or getting into the throttle/letting off the clutch as quickly
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Keep in mind that the auto has a much lower 1st gear than the manual. Even though the rear end ratio is a bit lower in the manual, there's a reason why the auto will start out in 2nd gear at a stop light unless you put it in manual mode.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
My Z is an auto trans also and it does not get any traction either. I put some michelin pilots on it and I believe they are worse than the goodyears that came on it. I drove my car for just about an hour yesterday and brought it back home because the roads have pieces of gravel on them due to the ice and snow we had here. These michelins I swear was picking everyone of them up and I could hear them hitting in the fender wells bad. Really ticked me off but that also told me the compound in the tires was sticky even when the temp was 35 outside. The only way I know how to stop the traction loss is not to get in the throttle at all or run drag radials and we all know they do not last long.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
My Z is an auto trans also and it does not get any traction either. I put some michelin pilots on it and I believe they are worse than the goodyears that came on it. I drove my car for just about an hour yesterday and brought it back home because the roads have pieces of gravel on them due to the ice and snow we had here. These michelins I swear was picking everyone of them up and I could hear them hitting in the fender wells bad. Really ticked me off but that also told me the compound in the tires was sticky even when the temp was 35 outside. The only way I know how to stop the traction loss is not to get in the throttle at all or run drag radials and we all know they do not last long.
I noticed a great improvement with the MPSSs over the GYs and it gets into the thirties here.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #7
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
Played with launches in my M6 and my buddy's A6. Tire temp was the determining factor, not transmission type. Cold tires were obviously problematic but once we put some heat in them on black asphalt on a 65 degree day in Louisiana, the stock tires came around and the cars were very different - easier to maintain control at the limits. I know folks here write about poor traction with the Goodyears but my experience has been that warm, clean tires (no rocks/gravel) on a reasonably clean, asphalt surface yields excellent traction for the ZL1's. I will tell you that dirty surfaces for these tires when sticky made the car feel much more twitchy and I honestly lost some confidence driving it hard.
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
RexZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
There's a short thread on the tire section now about Mickey Thompson ETR SR II's. I put these on the back only and have been really happy with the result. I have a M6, and I used to spin alot in 2nd and 3rd when the SC hit. Now it is alot better, but not perfect. These are not for rain and snow though.
RexZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote