Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Midlife conVert

Drives: Black 2LT Convertible
Dealer Applied Sealants

My Dealer applied a Sealant to my car before the deal closed. Had I known I don't know if I would have had them do that.
The use a Machine to do the application.

I need to know:
1. should I have the paint corrected and remove the sealer
2. Have them correct the two small sections that I see in the Paint? ( at a very bad place to polish as on upper door at crease, I am afraid to go after myself)
3. Is a good quality wax better than a sealant?
4. Which brand of sealant would you use. Also self applied or have done professionally.

Sorry if i am I am sure it has been asked before, I just don't want to make a mistake.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife conVert View Post
My Dealer applied a Sealant to my car before the deal closed. Had I known I don't know if I would have had them do that.
The use a Machine to do the application.

I need to know:
1. should I have the paint corrected and remove the sealer Are there swirls/scratches? The sealer can probably be wiped with CarPro Eraser or a simple IPA wipedown (Isopropyl Alcohol)
2. Have them correct the two small sections that I see in the Paint? ( at a very bad place to polish as on upper door at crease, I am afraid to go after myself) Personally I think it's better to invest in the tools necessary to do it yourself, you really can't harm the paint with a DA Polisher, plus you learn the skill. Just tape up plastic pieces well to save cleanup time.
3. Is a good quality wax better than a sealant? IMO, they're both equals
4. Which brand of sealant would you use. Also self applied or have done professionally. Again Self-applied, you can look up all sorts of sealants or waxes, Menzerna Power Lock, Sonax Net Shield, Collinite 845/915, Chem Guys V7, Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer, plus many many more.

Sorry if i am I am sure it has been asked before, I just don't want to make a mistake.
See Above.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Listen to EC - wipe down your car with IPA in #1 and then wipe on a polymer and walk away - that simple...the days of hard waxing are gone..I have not waxed in two years - this is crystal seal wiped on my new delivery on friday....takes all of 15 min and lasts for 3 months...$18 bucks of the stuff lasts two years:

The sales manager at delivery start telling me about the "protectocoat" they did on all their cars, even though I was looking at the water spots - He got a bit ruffeled when I politely told him I was not paying for it and would have it wiped off in a hour of owning the car. LOL

blackfire here - but there are many as EC pointed out:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/black...stal-seal.html
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Midlife conVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Listen to EC - wipe down your car with IPA in #1 and then wipe on a polymer and walk away - that simple...the days of hard waxing are gone..I have not waxed in two years - this is crystal seal wiped on my new delivery on friday....takes all of 15 min and lasts for 3 months...$18 bucks of the stuff lasts two years:

The sales manager at delivery start telling me about the "protectocoat" they did on all their cars, even though I was looking at the water spots - He got a bit ruffeled when I politely told him I was not paying for it and would have it wiped off in a hour of owning the car. LOL

blackfire here - but there are many as EC pointed out:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/black...stal-seal.html
They used Auto Butler... I don't like the "car wash style of 'polishing''
Where can I get the sealer you used?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Midlife conVert

No scratches. Two swirls at on the drivers door top and right behind the door top. Would be very hard to correct. I thing you are correct is in the sealer as it was done by a machine. I would love to put a better product on my car. Very little if any Orange Peel that I can see for a factory painted car..... Would like it to look like this forever!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Midlife conVert

Here is a picture
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I agree with what EC said except when he said wax and sealant are equals. They're not really equal. Sealants last much longer, provide better protection. Waxes give a deeper, wetter look.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I agree with what EC said except when he said wax and sealant are equals. They're not really equal. Sealants last much longer, provide better protection. Waxes give a deeper, wetter look.
That is true, I guess what I meant is they're interchangeable, you can use both for a better look with some combos. But they are both not inherently required, you can have good protection with one or the other. Sorry about that.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Glen e

Quote:
Where can I get the sealer you used?
you just passed over it in the post I made - use it very sparingly - the little bottle can do at least 20 cars...one spritz per door, etc...

I will never buff or wax anything again...there is absolutely no need.....the olny people I know of that won't switch are the old fart enthusiasts (not age dependant!) that refuse to consider something new...kinda like the guys who still listen to "tube amps" because they are are "warmer sounding"...ok, whatever...polymers rule!

the first time you use it I would wax on and buff off their prep - "blackfire total polish and seal" - after that - easy rinseless washes and spray crystal seal every 3 months...
Old 05-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Midlife conVert

OK I agree that they are both good but I am at a quandary, I guess I have some time. New car, Has a sealant on it. I am going on a long trip in July and need to see if I need to Supplement before I go.

Gulf coast to Chicago and back.

I want to make sure I don't screw it up. The Dealer Seal is still under warranty then so I may just say with that until I get back unless I will do harm.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Glen e

Quote:
OK I agree that they are both good but I am at a quandary, I guess I have some time. New car, Has a sealant on it. I am going on a long trip in July and need to see if I need to Supplement before I go.

Gulf coast to Chicago and back.

I want to make sure I don't screw it up. The Dealer Seal is still under warranty then so I may just say with that until I get back unless I will do harm.
trust me...although you don't know me I've been detailing and in the car biz for 30 years..retired...dealer sealant is junk....wipe it off and wipe on the real deal.......
Old 05-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
you just passed over it in the post I made - use it very sparingly - the little bottle can do at least 20 cars...one spritz per door, etc...

I will never buff or wax anything again...there is absolutely no need.....the olny people I know of that won't switch are the old fart enthusiasts (not age dependant!) that refuse to consider something new...kinda like the guys who still listen to "tube amps" because they are are "warmer sounding"...ok, whatever...polymers rule!

the first time you use it I would wax on and buff off their prep - "blackfire total polish and seal" - after that - easy rinseless washes and spray crystal seal every 3 months...
Glen, you are the only person I know who has been getting Crystal Seal to last 3 months. I have only been able to get 1.5 months max, and normally around 1 month. Still it's a no brainer for me since it is so freaking easy!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Glen, you are the only person I know who has been getting Crystal Seal to last 3 months. I have only been able to get 1.5 months max, and normally around 1 month. Still it's a no brainer for me since it is so freaking easy!
i really am....but I don't strip it, I just apply agan...but ask Todd...if you think it's not there because it does not bead, it still there, CS sheets instead of beads...lotsa people think it''s gone, and it's not...
Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Is 3 months the norm you get out of a sealant? The only sealant I have tried so far has been Adams Quick Sealant, and that seems to last around 1-2 months. This stuff seems like a no brainer if 4 ounces treats up to 40 cars!