Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
She is on the way!!!!!

So my Camaro story goes like this. *LONG READ, SORRY*

I saw my first new Camaro last June. I was driving my GTO and I passed it on I-35 in the middle of nowhere Minnesota. It was black with orange stripes. I almost crashed I was staring so hard.

My dad owned 2 different Camaros back in the day, both he bought new. A 1967 RS 327 car was his first. It was yellow with the houndstooth and a column shift automatic. In 1969 he traded up to a SS in Hugger orange with a 396 automatic. Unfortunately he met my mom () in 1970 and she made him sell it for a Buick in 1971.....

When I was 10 years old the guy my dad sold his 1969 to called him. He wanted to sell my dad the car back. It was in original condition, with a repaint done a few years before, and had something like 75000 miles on it. If I remember correctly it was still numbers matching. Now I don't know what the price was, but my dad turned it down.... My sister was 14 and my dad was thinking about our educations and decided not to spend the money on it.

My dad chose to sacrifice his dream car for my sister and I. My parents put both of us through college, not asking my sister or I to pay a cent. My dad alwasy said that they work hard so my sister and I may have an easier life.

My sister and I have rewarded my parents with being somewhat successful. I know that he is proud of us at this point of what we have accomplished.

Which brings me to my Camaro plans. I had to spend my toy fund on a new lot for my new house. I was thinking that the spring of 2011 would be the next time available to order the car. I however moved some things around and could get my car now.

I wanted to get an orange car to match my dad's 69. I just don't like the IOM as it isn't orange enough for me, and appears to change color. So I orderd a 2ss summit white today. 2SS, non rs, auto, with polished wheels. MSRP is $36,450. I paid $1,300 less than that.

I called my dad at work today and told him that I ordered the car and that he is going to get the first drive of the car. Yes, even before I do. I told him that he deserved it for what he went through by giving up the opportunity to buy his back and supporting my sister and I through colllege. He didn't know know what to say and I heard him sniffle a bit. That alone was testament enough to me and worth any price that I paid for this car.

To the execs at GM for making this car happen, to the wonderful guys and gals building my car at Oshawa, to the fne folks here at Camaro5 for providing me with countless knowledge, and to my dad for his support over the years, thanks for making this dream of mine a reality. Words cannot describe they level of thanks and respect I have for you guys. Thanks again!

Jeff
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Wow! Cool story! Congrats on the order!!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
IndyDave

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT RS
That's awesome! Grats on the order, should be nice in MN by the time you get it
IndyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Congrats
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
BEARS-SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You were right about the "long read" part...but totally worth it. Makes me want to buy a new Nova and have my old man drive it...ummm....crickets?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
nice story and congrats
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Scrappy Doo

Thanks guys. I am pumped. Giddy.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
mulehead7
stubborn as a ...

Drives: '94 Trans Am
Congratulations on your purchase. Now when you sit behind the wheel you will always think about your father. He sounds like a great man! And you are a good son to call your father and thank him.

Being a man means that you can put the needs of your family ahead of your desires. Being a man means going to work, sometimes two jobs, when you are tired or would rather do something else. It takes sacrifice to be a man. You and your father can be proud of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
That's awesome! Grats on the order, should be nice in MN by the time you get it
The seasons in Minnesota:
Spring = June
Summer = July
Fall = August
Winter = everything else

Enjoy!

mulehead7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Class1E

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Congrats! That is a great story; I'm sure that first drive will make a great memory for you and your dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulehead7 View Post
Spring = June
Summer = July
Fall = August
Winter = everything else
My take on the seasons in Minnesota:
Spring = "Geez I wish winter would end."
Summer = "Oh my God, it's humid. A swarm of mosquitoes just carried my dog away."
Fall = "Oh man, winter again. Didn't the last of the snow just finish melting?"
Winter = "Wow it's cold. F@#$% Vikings! I can't believe they do this every year!"
Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
Wow . I'm a fast reader so I like long stories. May I add that you might just want to give him the car since he's your dad. That way you will visit him everyday and such. Lol. Just teasing. I loved your story.

Wizzer
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Scrappy Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulehead7 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Now when you sit behind the wheel you will always think about your father. He sounds like a great man! And you are a good son to call your father and thank him.

Being a man means that you can put the needs of your family ahead of your desires. Being a man means going to work, sometimes two jobs, when you are tired or would rather do something else. It takes sacrifice to be a man. You and your father can be proud of each other.

Spring = June
Summer = July
Fall = August
Winter = everything else

Enjoy!
Thanks.

And you forgot the seasons of mosquitos and road construction. LOL
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
SSGirl
Life's Good!

Drives: 2SS/RS SW with Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to SSGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SSGirl Send a message via Skype™ to SSGirl
What a wonderful story!! Congrats on your order. I can't wait to hear the story of your dad's first drive.
SSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
?? I was expecting you to have shown gratitude by buying him the car. Letting him drive it first? pfft! Ungrateful ankle biter! ;-)
Old 02-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #14
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Fathers and their sons Scrappy…what can you say? I pick mine up tomorrow, guess who's drivin it first? I am gonna tell him to slam that gas pedal

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote