Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
Oh ok thanks. I'm just not sure how everything works so I'm just making sure I'm doing it right. My mom hasn't had an accident since she was in college (around 40 years ago) and she wasn't sure what to do either.
...Sounds like it wasn't her fault anyway...When I insured my kid, we picked the oldest heap in the fleet for him to be rated on, but it's ok if he drives any car in the household...Even when you buy a new car, you are automatically insured by your existing insurance company for a grace period without even notifiying them...good luck, again...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
I always understood that insurance is for the VEHICLE and not the person driving the CAR. However, the insurance will show the normal drivers of said vehicle. So, let's change the situation around a little bit, you let your friend use your car for a day, he got into an accident, your insurance should still cover it, since the coverage is for the vehicle and not the driver. I am no insurance agent and I could be totally wrong here, but I believe that is how it works. So, my advice is don't sweat it, tell them the truth, that your mother was driving and get the vehicle fixed, by the sound of it, it was not even your mothers fault, so most likely the other drivers insurance will cover repairs.
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #31
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
just tell them the truth...lying always backfires in the end...especially when you're dealing with more than one girl, but that's another story
now that's funny.
Now back to the thread.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #32
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Definitely want to tell the truth. When I had my wreck they recorded my official statement on tape.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #33
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorepheus View Post
I always understood that insurance is for the VEHICLE and not the person driving the CAR. However, the insurance will show the normal drivers of said vehicle. So, let's change the situation around a little bit, you let your friend use your car for a day, he got into an accident, your insurance should still cover it, since the coverage is for the vehicle and not the driver. I am no insurance agent and I could be totally wrong here, but I believe that is how it works. So, my advice is don't sweat it, tell them the truth, that your mother was driving and get the vehicle fixed, by the sound of it, it was not even your mothers fault, so most likely the other drivers insurance will cover repairs.
This is true but the problem is that any claim affects the policy holders rates. So if your friend has an accident but no insurance of his own then you put a claim in and your rates go up (potentially). That is unless of course your friend is not found to be at fault. Then of course there are "no fault" states. Thats a whole nother ball game.

OP just tell them what happened.

Mom was driving my car. This dumb @$$ ran a stop sign and hit her. I'd like to take my car here for repair. Where do I go to get my rental car?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #34
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
1st of all, if the other person had insurance, it doesnt matter if a monkey was driving her car, the at fault girl needs to pay for the damage (if she is at fault).

But, it doesnt matter who the PRIMARY driver is, it only matters who is insured on the car.

If you mom is insured on the car, and listed as only driving one mile per year, then she got in a wreck in that one mile per year. As long as she is insured, its cool.

My old car, my dad was the primary (for lower insurance rates), even though I put 12k miles on it a year, and when I totaled it, Allstate didnt bat an eye and cut a check.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorepheus View Post
This is exactly how I understand it to be. The car is insured not the driver and the rate to insure the car is based on multiple variables -- make, model, vehicle age, primary driver, deductable, and so on.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #36
Ieatfordsforlunch

Drives: 2008 colorado
If your insured then your ok, just cause she was driving the car your insured on she will still be covered.
Ieatfordsforlunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #37
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
..... I usually don't even deal with my own insurance company with wrecks that aren't my fault.

see I feel the opposite of this, I pay for collision insurance to State Farm so it is their job take care of me..

to me it doesn't matter who is at fault, I know my agent, and my company, I pay them, so IMO they are who is responsible to repair my vehicle.

it is then up to my company to go after the other person and their company for reimbursement.

I pay State Farm, not Allstate so IMO State Farm is responsible for my vehicle, why should I deal with the other persons insurance? I don't know them, they don't know me, and they have no interest in helping me repair my vehicle. I am not their customer.

---

I've been with State Farm for 20 odd years, I have had some bad not at fault accidents in that time and State Farm has always stepped up and handled the repairs without issue.

Injuries, now that is another story, as liability insurance is paid for the purpose of covering the other guy. If I have injuries then yes I need to deal with the other persons company, but personally I won't, that's what lawyers are for..

I have had my share of B.S. from "the other guys" insurance company with regard to injuries, if I have to go to E.R. for any reason a lawer will get involved.

When I was hit on my motorcycle and my pelvis, hip, femur were broken and I suffered several internal injuries, my medical bills were over $100K and "the other guys" insurance offered to cover my $2,000 medical deductible and nothing more.. Hence why a lawyer is needed for injury cases.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Lying helps nobody and may only compound the problem.
Attached Images

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #39
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
1. This is not your responsibility to talk to insurance companies. You weren't driving. I don't even know why YOU are asking, "what do I say?" You weren't in the accident. Your mother was. They don't want to talk to you. They want to talk to her.

2. There IS nothing more to say since you don't have to worry about it.

However....

Your mother knows better than to lie. If someone lies...says someone else was driving...says something different happened, etc, they'll figure it out and insurance companies won't want to deal with you any more and it's likely they could either drop you or raise your rates so high that you won't be able to afford to deal with them any more. Other insurance companies could find out and wouldn't want to insure you as well. You'd be a liability. Police also make reports....which means there's always a paper trail. Don't try to fool anyone.

If your mother was not at fault, then no worries. The other insurance company will deal with it and figure it all out. In fact, YOUR insurance company, technically, would never even need to known about it. Insurance rates for you guys shouldn't budge. Others might want to call their own insurance company, but that is their call.

The vehicle is what's insured.

Think about this...

The insurance company themselves told you, "it would be cheaper to put your mother as the primary on the sports car. So we should switch it and say your mother is primary on the Camaro and son on the SUV."

They aren't dumb. They did it that way to make it affordable FOR you guys. They aren't going to give anyone crap as to why one person was driving it over another.

"We drive both cars. I'm the primary, but yes. I let my son drive the car."

Nothing wrong with that. It's not lying. AND...there's nothing wrong with it.

Last bit of advice. ....

Be careful of what you say on the internet. Be careful of what pix you post...(re: partial plates, info, location, date, time, etc) as the info would now be available to literally anyone...which could be used against you later on.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #40
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
no offense, but do you really think your insurance company is so stupid they won't know whats going on?

anyway, so long as both of you are on the policy it wont matter. when you add someone to your policy they raise the rate on all the vehicles for this very reason. they know there's a chance anyone on the policy could drive any of the vehicles. for example, when I added my daughter to mine even though she had her own vehicle that she was assigned to they raised (nearly doubled actually) the rates on my other 3 cars. now if you guys have separate policies then you could be in some serious shit.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #41
meb885

Drives: 13 CRT 2SS-1LE/06 Trailblazer
I have state farm, and My policies are setup much the same as yours. My father is the primary driver of my Camaro, which he has never even sat in the drivers seat of (the insurance IS in both of our names on both my camaro and my trailblazer)

However it does not matter who is driving what vehicles or the names on the insurance... As long as soemeone is not specifically listed as excluded from driving (at one point my brother was excluded from ALL our car policies as his accident history would have hiked our rates thru the roof....)

I am rated on my trailblazer, he is rated on my camaro (and his HHR), it keeps my insurance down and is 100% legal and fine. My name is not listed on my Mother's policy for example but i am 100% covered if i was to drive her car. Same with the Girlfriend's vehicles.
Planned Upgrades Soon:De-Chrome (Black outs),
TEAM LS3
2010 2LT VIN#165 Traded In, 2010 2SS VIN#42415 Traded In
meb885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #42
11VicConSSMan

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Typically any major insurance carriers like the ones you have listed offer either in their policy or for a small adder, coverage for any "licensed" driver would be covered under your policy as long as it was incidental... Meaning if Mom's always drivers the Camaro and just happens to operate your Trailblazer once in a blue moon she should still be covered under that provision in your policy.... Review your insurance policy prior to speaking to anyone.
11VicConSSMan is offline   Reply With Quote