Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #617
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
I think we can clearly stop using the term "ram air". The physics behind it prove that there is no such thing on a vehicle going the speeds we typically travel.

However, I believe the confusion stems from the fact that these "ram air" style kits such as the OTR intakes do (in most cases) improve the flow of air and are able to get colder air to the engine, therefore increasing horsepower and leading people to believe they are obtaining this ram air effect.

This is as best as I understand it from reading all posts up to now. If this is correct, I hope we can all stop arguing. If not, I give up

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #618
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I don't even know why anyone calls New Era or Vararam "ram air" to begin with. They are OTR (over the radiator) intakes. They claim to be more efficient which results in higher pressure in their units, but I don't recall either claiming they have ram air to thank for the hp increase. And I think we need a new acronym for CAI while we're at it, Cold Air Intakes pull air from outside the engine bay. HAI or just air intake (AI) would be more appropriate. I think everyone likes to cling to "CAI" because its popular and we got in the habbit with the 4th gens which really were CAIs, but now it is just a marketing ploy too.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #619
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Please continue all discussion regarding results of this test here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202