Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
They just said they want something that rivals the Z28, they haven't claimed it will be better, faster, or lighter...at least not yet.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #30
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
They just said they want something that rivals the Z28, they haven't claimed it will be better, faster, or lighter...at least not yet.
It won't. Not that I blame them for trying. Especially after the new Viper was beat by the old ZR1.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I think the car he is referring to is the NG not current. The car is simply too heavy. The Z/28 has huge tires to compensate. Not saying Fiat can't get the chassis sorted out, but in the end I think he is talking about the rumored smaller car coming down the road a bit.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #32
Reefblue42

Drives: '20 ZL1/'97 SS LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes, but it's not better because it's bigger. It's the technology. And Dodge has never really been that high on tech. They're more brutish.
Agreed
Reefblue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
It won't. Not that I blame them for trying. Especially after the new Viper was beat by the old ZR1.
Acutally the Viper took it's lead back with the new TA and you realize when the ZR1 was brand new it was 2 seconds SLOWER than the last generation Viper around Laguna Seca?

As for Tech, Chrysler has no problem with tech, from their engines with the high tech Pentastar V6, to the 6.4 Hemi, to the new MultiAir 4 cyclinders they are equal to or ahead of the others in their respective classes

Transmissions, they easily beat all mainstream manufacturers (not lux car) to the line with top end 8 speed autos and will do the same next year with the 9 speed autos in FWD and AWD applications, Ford and GM are just starting to work on a competing transmission.

Suspensions: No real problem here either. They current crop of rear drivers are constantly compared to BMW which is high praise on any account, and that is not only the HIGH TECH 3 mode Bilstien suspension, but also the basic non adjustable suspensions. Yes some of the normal cars are tuned for a better ride, but let's be honest, 99.9% of the population doesn't give a crap about track times and prefer a good riding car that doesn't beat them up everyday. It has nothing to do with technology, but tuning the cars for their segment and their target buyers.

safety tech: Chrysler has offered things like adaptive cruise control, collision warning, and crosspath detection for years now.

Interior tech: GM is just now starting to offer touch screens and navigation in cars other thn high end models, Chrysler Dodge and Jeep have been doing this for nearly 10 years. They are constantly improving it and just coming out with a new revision with an improved interface, features, and even a wifi hotspot, they also offer things like configurable guage clusters and push button (have for many years now), and even the entry level dart offers all that, the safety equipment mentioned above, heated seats and steering wheel, high tech turbo and NA engines which offer BETTER horsepower than most competitors and still offer similar or even better fuel mileage and prformance.

I know people knock the Challengers weight, but the ZL1 weighs the same as the SRT8 and the V6 models of both are basically the same weight. They can make a 3800 pound Challenger using the same tricks and tech GM used to make a 3800 pound ZL1. The 6.4 should easily be able to produce similar or better horsepower than the LS7 in the Z28, heck, some dynos show it is nearly there now.

The Viper, even though it is an infant, is already making great times and while it is not gentle, it is made to run hard. It took the ZR1 4 years and basically "legal race slicks" to beat the old Viper and barely beat the fresh new viper (there was less than a seconds difference between the ZR1 and actual production Vipers Motor trend finally ran).

Can they do this? Yes they can, at least a close one, beating the Z28 will be harder than think I believe. Also they have the new 6.2 Supercharged, apparently slated for a 2015 launch, that should be interesting.

I know I covered more tech klevels than needed considering the issue was performance, but the point is they are not at all behind in tech.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
I think the Challenger is more of a sporty, great looking boulevard cruiser rather than something that can turned into a serious track car.

I think Dodge would be better off going in the opposite direction and trying to figure out how to bring SRT8 performance down to a price level competitive with the SS and the 5.0. Or bringing the R/T up to a level where it can run with the SS and 5.0. How many $80,000 Challengers do they think they can sell?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #35

Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray
Did they launch the 2013 model yet?

Dodge website shows only 2012 SRT8 models until now !!

It seems that they are working on many changes because I heard about a supercharged version too
Yes, they have been in production since July. On the Dodge site they have two tabs; one that shows 2013 MY and another that is 2012 MY under the build your own link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedave
I was told this is the last year for the Challenger
The Challenger will be produced through 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ss
there's always the 8.4-liter V10, and if they were to put that under the bonnet of the Challenger, it would be turned into a much more unique proposition, and probably be priced above its rivals.

The magazine states, however, that chances of getting the V10 are very slim.
Why put a V10 in a Challenger when Mopar has a 426 crate motor sitting on the shelf. I would leave the V10 for the Viper and have the 392 and 426 for the Challenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance
Yes, here's the picture of it that came out last week. Oh and they have a longgggggggggg way to go. But it does look good.
That is not it. That is the Jeff Dunham's Dodge Challenger he built for this past SEMA. http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...8-sema-concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3
I think the car he is referring to is the NG not current. The car is simply too heavy. The Z/28 has huge tires to compensate. Not saying Fiat can't get the chassis sorted out, but in the end I think he is talking about the rumored smaller car coming down the road a bit.
Nah, he is talking about the current platform (LC).
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #36
Reefblue42

Drives: '20 ZL1/'97 SS LT4
Quote:
Yes, here's the picture of it that came out last week. Oh and they have a longgggggggggg way to go. But it does look good.
That is an awesome looking ride. If it had the same kind of updates the Z/28 is going to have, I'd probably go this route. Meh...it would have to be really frickin good to make me want to change my mind.
Reefblue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #37
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
That is sexy. Back in the day, MOPAR was flat out nasty. Would be great to see them back in the game.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #38
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Yes, but it's not better because it's bigger. It's the technology. And Dodge has never really been that high on tech. They're more brutish.
POOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR R!!!!!
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #39
Risky guy

Drives: 2012 mitsubishi evolution mr
They should make a new super bee.
Big block 6.4 with a supercharger.
Make it a 2 door & use some better lightweight metals.
Risky guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #40
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post
Yes, they have been in production since July. On the Dodge site they have two tabs; one that shows 2013 MY and another that is 2012 MY under the build your own link.

The Challenger will be produced through 2016.

Why put a V10 in a Challenger when Mopar has a 426 crate motor sitting on the shelf. I would leave the V10 for the Viper and have the 392 and 426 for the Challenger.

That is not it. That is the Jeff Dunham's Dodge Challenger he built for this past SEMA. http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...8-sema-concept

Nah, he is talking about the current platform (LC).
The 2013 tab only features the V6 and RT models. I didnt see any SRT8 photos or info
Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #41
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
The 2013 tab only features the V6 and RT models. I didnt see any SRT8 photos or info
It is on SRTs page now: http://www.drivesrt.com/2013/challenger-srt/
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #42
Raghav

Drives: 2001 BMW M3/LS3 swap
For a while guys on the drag racing side have been working out how to drop weight on the Challengers and getting 400-500lbs off is doable (costly if doing it after the fact but certainly quite achievable if starting from scratch). The lowest weight Chargers/Challengers in the drag race circuit are currently around 3200 lbs.

As someone pointed out, the 426 aluminum crate motor is available and can easily be dropped in. So a 3800 lbs 426-powered Challenger making about 550 crank hp N/A is very doable. Some changes to the body (e.g., a wide-body kit) and it can also accommodate more meaty rear tires. Can it compete in the handling department? That would remain to be seen, as the Challenger is a bit more nose heavy than the Camaro.
2001 BMW M3/416 LS3 swap with Cam Motion LLSR camshaft/T56 Magnum transmission/Frankenstein ported LS3 heads/Fast LSXr LS3 intake manifold/Nick Williams 102mm TB/Vorschlag 1.75" headers/Supersprint exhaust/JRZ RS dual adjustable coilovers
Curb weight 3385 lbs
Raghav is offline   Reply With Quote