Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 04-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
My car is now less illegal!

Put the Camaro back on the road April 1st, got pulled over the next day driving my son to school. The officer said my license sticker had expired and when he took my info back to his cruiser I said to my son I guess he didn't notice I have no front plate..................NOPE!! I gave him my rehearsed speach why it's not there and he was pretty cool about it and let me go. So now I'm paranoid about this especially since I pass 4-6 cruisers everyday on my way to his school and it might take a while to order one of the aftermarket brackets so I spent $20 and made my own.

Now hopefully I won't get stopped for loud mufflers or dark window tint.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Beehave

Drives: 2010 Yellow/Black 2SS LS3
Sorry about the ticket Steve....did you not explain to him the relevance of your name and recent Camaro history....its GM code..

By the way what did you use. The new "Chally" needs something like that on the lower grille. I have one of those retractable plates on the Camaro....but I think if I get one of those...the wife will tear it off in no time, on a curb or something I guess dodge mounts the bracket right from the factory?

Anyways,....details on your procedure / parts list?
Beehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beehave View Post
Sorry about the ticket Steve....did you not explain to him the relevance of your name and recent Camaro history....its GM code..

By the way what did you use. The new "Chally" needs something like that on the lower grille. I have one of those retractable plates on the Camaro....but I think if I get one of those...the wife will tear it off in no time, on a curb or something I guess dodge mounts the bracket right from the factory?

I didn't get a ticket, just a warning but the next time I get stopped I'll get a $115 ticket. He was driving an Impala too, where's the Chevy love?

I bought a piece of 1/4" lexan cut to fit in behind the plate. I mounted the lexan to the lower T Rex grill using zip ties and then used self taping screws in predrilled holes to mount the plate and cover to the front of the lexan. My car already had the PDI done so the front bracket was mounted but I removed it and had the holes professionally filled.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beehave View Post

Last fall, I lost my retractable plate holder in a touchless carwash, can't remember if it was in the upright position or not .
Thankfully it was recovered, all in tact and no damage anywhere; three years no issues, now this. .

I'm afraid next time it might fall off while driving, I don't see any issues underneath, where it was attatched, so can't figure out why it came off.

I'm contemplating whether I should put it back on, or do a more permanent fix (i.e. plastic ties used for wires).
I pushed my luck for the first year, driving without a front plate at all, had it up on the dash, and never had issues in York Region. However, it seems the horror stories are in the jurisdictions all around me, especially Peel.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I like your idea. It gave me an idea to give mine a slight bend so it can be centered up.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Your a rebel !!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Beehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
I didn't get a ticket, just a warning but the next time I get stopped I'll get a $115 ticket. He was driving an Impala too, where's the Chevy love?

I bought a piece of 1/4" lexan cut to fit in behind the plate. I mounted the lexan to the lower T Rex grill using zip ties and then used self taping screws in predrilled holes to mount the plate and cover to the front of the lexan. My car already had the PDI done so the front bracket was mounted but I removed it and had the holes professionally filled.
Thanks, great idea and simple, I always forgot about using plastic. Victory Red (Ron) had that removeable one, made out of metal, and sort of spring loaded, it seemed to work well. Anyways you got me thinking

Sorry I didn't read your post fully,....I must of had a brain "infartion", or brown pop bubbles. By way the, are you sure the plate not stopping precious air flow?....could be loss of hp
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Beehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Last fall, I lost my retractable plate holder in a touchless carwash, can't remember if it was in the upright position or not .
Thankfully it was recovered, all in tact and no damage anywhere; three years no issues, now this. .

I'm afraid next time it might fall off while driving, I don't see any issues underneath, where it was attatched, so can't figure out why it came off.

I'm contemplating whether I should put it back on, or do a more permanent fix (i.e. plastic ties used for wires).
I pushed my luck for the first year, driving without a front plate at all, had it up on the dash, and never had issues in York Region. However, it seems the horror stories are in the jurisdictions all around me, especially Peel.
Touchless carwash They use gray water...among other things for the wash cycle

I thought you rolled out he red carpet for that baby, you have to come by for some retraining

By the way "Hamilton"..Waterdown area bad for plate infartions
Old 04-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
PremoDeluxe

Drives: 2012 Camero SS 45th anniversary
I'm curious you think you can cut like quarter inch around that way it will fit inside the grill or is that illegal ? Probably is but don't think a cop would bug you that much is still legible
PremoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote