Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #29
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bangerBOOM View Post
So while PalmerGA may have somehow perceived that he was helping Dark Age 53 out, the message that was actually transmitted was "hey, I'm trying to help you because you look like an idiot".
I can assure you that making anyone "look like an idiot" was not my intent.

Does it frustrate me to continually see the misuse of the English language, even in its most very basic form? Hell yes.

Do I have the tendency to occasionally let that frustration show trough in my posts? I'm sure I do.

I apologize if I've made anyone here feel like an idiot, but I will NOT apologize for taking opportunities to improve someone's diction and/or grammar.

You can take murder ball out of gym class. You can stop keeping score in Teeball. You can change high school grading systems to "pass/fail". You can make automobiles nearly idiot-proof with all the nannies on them. But you cannot fool people when you open your mouth and prove your ignorance.**

** Notice I said ignorance and not stupidity. If you don't know the difference... look it up.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #30
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
There is a difference between correcting false information and correcting spelling and grammar. False information should absolutely be corrected on this site. Spelling and grammar do not really matter in terms of conveying a message (to an extent), just in how it makes you perceive the message sender. So while PalmerGA may have somehow perceived that he was helping Dark Age 53 out, the message that was actually transmitted was "hey, I'm trying to help you because you look like an idiot". This is why his post received such a negative reaction, and the thread hastened to disorder.
Is your protest based on HOW the correction is made, or that the correction was made in the first place? Is using words incorrectly really that different from false information? Doing something incorrectly, or saying something that is not true are related. They are both incorrect, and should be fixed.

I actually had a long response typed out, but when I went back and read it I realized I would come off like more of a dick than I meant to be. How the message was transmitted, or at least how you perceived it, has a lot of truth to it. People are judged in all kinds of ways. Some people judge others on how you dress, and others on your physical appearance (you're fat, you have messy hair, etc). What is almost universal though, especially in the professional world, is judgement based on how a person writes or types.

You may debate that this forum isn't the professional world, and rightly so, but that's not a point of debate. The point is that spelling and grammar are habitual. It's not a matter of laziness. A person won't fill out an essay or resume and use "their, there, and they're" correctly, and then be "too lazy" to use them correctly any other time. That makes absolutely no sense. While spelling and grammar might not have as much to do with the message, it has everything to do with how you perceive the person writing the message. So yes, to all those who say spelling doesn't matter... it does. Choose to not believe it. That's your choice.

Now of course, if a person really doesn't care that their spelling and grammar are messed up and has no desire to fix it, then so be it. But how do YOU view that person? You don't need to answer it, but think about it.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #31
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Proper spelling, grammar, and editing are essential to a healthy career. But for some people it isn't important, and I don't judge them for that. Lol, look at my posts and you'll notice that over half of them say I edited the post. I go back and check my spelling and wording every time I post. I am a decently educated (Master's in Communication) person, and I like to come off as such. And I am always a proponent for a proper application of the English language. What's my point then?

Let it be.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #32
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Obviously all of these posts were liposuction-ed from another thread and placed here.

Now I'm curious which thread this benign tumor was removed from...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #33
6bangerBOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Obviously all of these posts were liposuction-ed from another thread and placed here.

Lmao. Yeah, we all got in trouble, so they made us go to Off-topic until we were ready to be nice. It came from the PDR thread.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #34
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
My biggest peeve, when people say "I could care less." Really? you CAN care less? That means you do care. Thanks for caring, and letting me know!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #35
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
this topic always makes me laugh.. soo serious this posting thing we do.. its not that we're writing for advanced degrees its the internet Camaro chat board..hell I don't even know if half the people here are real or should I say reel..hahaha .lock me up, I always type from a phone a very crappy one at that!
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #36
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
My biggest peeve, when people say "I could care less." Really? you CAN care less? That means you do care. Thanks for caring, and letting me know!
I say that lol. Too much of a habit for me to break now.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #37
6bangerBOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I can assure you that making anyone "look like an idiot" was not my intent.

Does it frustrate me to continually see the misuse of the English language, even in its most very basic form? Hell yes.

Do I have the tendency to occasionally let that frustration show trough in my posts? I'm sure I do.

I apologize if I've made anyone here feel like an idiot, but I will NOT apologize for taking opportunities to improve someone's diction and/or grammar.

You can take murder ball out of gym class. You can stop keeping score in Teeball. You can change high school grading systems to "pass/fail". You can make automobiles nearly idiot-proof with all the nannies on them. But you cannot fool people when you open your mouth and prove your ignorance.**

** Notice I said ignorance and not stupidity. If you don't know the difference... look it up.
I'm just trying to help you. My post was meant to show that your message was so ill received because you did not take into account how it would come across. When you have to say "I don't mean any offense" in a post you're already working on shaky ground.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #38

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...Grammar "Police".....Grammar "Nazis"....hmmm.....Interesting how a perceived "right" to be lazy, rude, self-righteous, etc., with terrible spelling and grammar is defended with demeaning titles aimed at those who don't care for it....

It all makes sense, actually and is not surprising....Only the selfish would complain that some think we shouldn't have ignorance foisted upon us as if it were normal and acceptable...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #39
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

I think you mean metastasized, and definitely malignant... "What are you, stupid or sumpthin?"

[edit] I did this for a couple of reasons, first, there was no reason for me to correct his post..... second, I just like to call scooter stupid every chance I get. Keeps him humble :neener:

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 05-19-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #40
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
PDR to me = Physician Desk Reference.
+1
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #41
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Proper spelling, grammar, and editing are essential to a healthy career. But for some people it isn't important, and I don't judge them for that. Lol, look at my posts and you'll notice that over half of them say I edited the post. I go back and check my spelling and wording every time I post. I am a decently educated (Master's in Communication) person, and I like to come off as such. And I am always a proponent for a proper application of the English language. What's my point then?

Let it be.
Proper spelling and grammar are essential to a healthy career. Agreed. I would think that's important for all people. Who doesn't want a more satisfying career, or at least a better paying job? You go back and check your posts, make corrections, and put in effort to come off as decently educated. Would you say it has been advantageous for you to do so? In your healthy career, would you pick a co-worker, manager, or subordinate that has poor grammar and spelling, or proper grammar and spelling? As a person, if you were spelling or typing incorrectly, do you think it would be beneficial for someone to correct you? Correct, or at least "good" spelling and grammar are signs of educated people.

I would say spelling and grammar are a big deal that people write off too easily. Even if you don't care at all, simply doing it well will provide benefits that you may not even realize. You may not judge (I applaud you for that), but many people do. At least enough to get a bunch of posts moved into their own thread in Off Topic.

And I think when you correct someone, you have to say "no offense". There are a lot of chronically offended people out there...

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #42
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Paintless
Dent
Repair