Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
BESIDES ZAINO what wax would be best for yellow!

I unfortunately have no desire for a several step waxing process as I understand Zaino involves. What type of other wax product would be best for the Yellow Camaro. Does it need be only Carnuba sort of wax or would the $7 Nu Finish stuff be just fine. Like found here..

I'm sure some will have strong opinions on this, but most things don't live up to their claim when compared to super cheap alternatives that work just as well or better. Water spot remover vs vinager and water mixture...etc...

Who can enlighten us with a good alternative to Zaino for us lazy owners?!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Ssmokes

Drives: 1969 Hugger Orange/2010 IOM/2006 HD
I use Wax Shop Super Glaze on both of my Camaros. Leaves no white residue and gives any color a glossy wet look. Goes on and wipes off easily. Check it out!
Ssmokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I used Zaino on my Yellow Camaro, it was alot of work the first time, I clay bared my car first. It is worth it, you only do it once a year, or if it's a daily driver like mine, twice a year, if you use regular wax you would have to do it twice as much.I was on the fence too, but I am glad I tried it.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
just use a good quailty wax, and the color has nothing to do with it...
Old 01-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
just use a good quailty wax, and the color has nothing to do with it...

Agreed,

Autozone has Turtle Waxs' Ice Line. None of them have ever left a white residue anywhere on my car or bike. I use it on my Harley, and on my Camaro... They have several spray on and a couple of wipe on products. I actually used the paste wax the first time and now use the Ice spray on wax for in between times,. They also have a spray on detailer that you literally spray it on and wipe it off... Good Stuff... My car is RJT and I easily remove all water spots with the detail spray...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
There are some good quality waxes out there. Meguires makes some nice stuff but I feel it leaves behind some residue. Tried their latest NXT wax and while it does give a deep shine, the residue left behind on a black car to me is unacceptable.

Zymol makes some waxes that are formulated for different color cars. They are very high in Carnuba and contain no silicons. Their Carbon wax works great on Black or very dark colored cars. It is pricey, but to me worth the effort to get the results. My wife's Black 99 Oldsmobile still shines nicely and does not show it's age or mileage. I've had folks ask if it is one of the last models made and when they find out it's a 99 with many years of service in the winter, they are amazed.

Of course my vehicles get clay bar twice a year and waxed at least 3 times a year.
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Agreed,

Autozone has Turtle Waxs' Ice Line. None of them have ever left a white residue anywhere on my car or bike. I use it on my Harley, and on my Camaro... They have several spray on and a couple of wipe on products. I actually used the paste wax the first time and now use the Ice spray on wax for in between times,. They also have a spray on detailer that you literally spray it on and wipe it off... Good Stuff... My car is RJT and I easily remove all water spots with the detail spray...

These youngins need to learn the old school way of doing things.... Don't bother spending all your cash on fancy name product like Zaino. Use the tried and true products like Turtle Wax.... They have been around forever, and are affordable by the average joe .... Their Ice line is AWESOME stuff .... Use their detail spray after every wash, and your car will shine like crazy .....
Old 01-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I, too, use Turtle Wax's Ice synthetic wax. Excellent product. I use the liquid.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
I use Meguiars NXT....it does leave a little residue after the initial waxing, but normally when I'm done I wash the car again and it's all gone after I dry it. I've used it on my F-150 since 2004 and never parked the truck inside through 6 Maine Winters and it still looks brand new....no need to fix something if it's not broken.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
AND if you really want a nice shine and feel to your cars finish, go to your local auto parts store and you will find a Miguiars Claybar kit, cost all if $20 (there are others as well). You get 2 claybars, a bottle of quick detailer as lube, and a small bottle of wax cleaner (don't use on or near vinyl). If you take your car and hand wash it, and dry it.....put your fingers gently on the surface of your cars finish, and slowly move them across the finish and FEEL the surface......you will and can feel very small surface defects that you really can't see. Use the claybar as directed......it really takes no effort, just a little time.....you car FEEL the difference, it WILL be silky smoothe......and you can see the difference in the shine.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
I felt the same way. I didn't think I would have time for a multi step system. I ordered the Zaino anyway to try it out. I was very impressed. It states the main polishing only needs to be done once, or twice in a year. Afterwards, you can keep it up using the enhancer between polishes. The enhancer takes 20 minutes after a good wash/dry. I will not go with other systems in the future.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
hb35man

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Aqua Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmidt1956 View Post
There are some good quality waxes out there. Meguires makes some nice stuff but I feel it leaves behind some residue. Tried their latest NXT wax and while it does give a deep shine, the residue left behind on a black car to me is unacceptable.

Zymol makes some waxes that are formulated for different color cars. They are very high in Carnuba and contain no silicons. Their Carbon wax works great on Black or very dark colored cars. It is pricey, but to me worth the effort to get the results. My wife's Black 99 Oldsmobile still shines nicely and does not show it's age or mileage. I've had folks ask if it is one of the last models made and when they find out it's a 99 with many years of service in the winter, they are amazed.

Of course my vehicles get clay bar twice a year and waxed at least 3 times a year.
I stick with the Zymol products as well.It's weird having to keep it
refridgerated but the results are amazing.Sure it's expensive,but if you paid thirty or forty thousand for a car....whats a hundred bucks for car care?
hb35man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Good feedback so far.

So Turtle wax Ice seems to be a consensus, maybe Mequires (any specific one). Is that a liquid or paste? Some talked about some spray on?! That seems too Armor All-ish. Does the spray really protect or just a coating that will come off by the next wash?

I typically only wax once a year, and that's enough for me. It takes long enough to wash this car, I certainly don't want to spend hours more waxing it frequently too.

I do sound lazy, but I have other stuff I'd rather be doing!

Also, do you wax the matte stripes or try to avoid them?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
I three use Turtlewax Ice. It also is one of the few waxes/polishes that can be used on your striping and not damage it.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote